TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Now back on topic, does anyone think the RMC Mean Streak will add length or decrease length on the ride?

With the exception of Twisted Colossus, every I-Box conversion has been shorter than the original. Averaging 12% less track length, but can be up to 36% less, and as little as 3% less than the original.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

^^These are some very impressive numbers. In 2014 (the last time these numbers were released I believe), Magnum did 1,355,861 and this year it jumped up to 1,518,735... how the hell did that happen?, Millennium Force took a very slight jump from 1,721,918 to 1,726,772 and Gatekeeper jumped from 1,898,204 to 1,923,420. That's a testament to the ride crews for sure and most likely a sign of some impressive attendance numbers. The Cedar Point Nights hours played a role here too, but it's still impressive.

The most notable thing by far though is Raptor. Raptor lost early entry this year and while Cedar Point nights helped a little bit, they still probably had less operating time this year than in 2014 and their numbers jumped from 1,414,447 to 1,494,938. I expected a big decrease here so even a slight increase is awesome (though the proximity to Valravn probably helped).

Great job by the ride crews this year!

Gatekeeper stands out the most for me. Just to stop and think that basically 2 MILLION people rode that this year. Yea it's crew helped but still.

I know, it's weird. It's almost as if people really love Gatekeeper and the overwhelming opinion of whiny ass, cynical coaster enthusiasts means absolutely nothing. How is that possible? lol

But yeah, the crew absolutely crushed it this year and I don't want to minimize that. When you do things like this, you realize how that number is possible...

On Labor Day weekend I snapped this picture, the train in the station is already moving (you can see the op giving the all clear), and you can see the other train in the background. When we were there we never stopped in the brake run even with 3 train operations. This wasn't even the fastest dispatch. They were usually dispatching as soon as the lift block was clear and the train dropped off.

Gatekeeper stands out the most for me. Just to stop and think that basically 2 MILLION people rode that this year. Yea it's crew helped but still.

It's literally the first ride people see when they come up to the park to enter. Also, the crew definitely helped. GateKeeper crew completely killed it this season.

I was gonna post about how Tony totally posted those numbers cause y'all wouldn't stop talking about it, but then I realized he probably would have included Skyrides numbers.

Hi Tony!

I know, it's weird. It's almost as if people really love Gatekeeper and the overwhelming opinion of whiny A$$, cynical coaster enthusiasts means absolutely nothing. How is that possible? lol

Ridership's a testament to capacity and a great crew, but only serves as a clue as to whether people love the ride experience. For instance, McDonald's moves a lot of burgers, but are those great burgers? Maybe, to some people. And if you don't really love McDonald's, are you an overwhelmingly cynical, whiny A$$ burger enthusiast? Your generalization of enthusiasts is a bit cynical in its own right. We shouldn't act like all coasters are glorious experiences (Hi, Goudurix) or pretend we all feel the same way about them for fear of receiving negative labels. You say an opinion "means absolutely nothing," but they're not supposed to "mean something" beyond having enjoyable discussion within the community. Conversation with one another is the purpose, not persuading parks to do as we say. The notion of droves of old fogy enthusiasts who yell at clouds and tell parks what to do is overstated.

Now, let me agree with you. People surely enjoy Gatekeeper quite a bit, and you're right -- probably more than some enthusiasts would admit. I'd guess that 99% of visitors see a prominent inversion monster with a cool first drop, without having their minds be tortured with thoughts of, "Ehh, it's no Kumba, Nemesis, etc..." I've seen multiple people point right to Gatekeeper at the entrance and declare it the first ride of the day. I'm always impressed by how efficiently riders get off and head for the exit, even though they circulate the same areas of the station as the oncoming riders. I think the employees help to set that quick tone, and it also helps that the station is spacious. In contrast, the process on SkyRush is similar, but that station can feel like a cramped subway/metro sardine can during rush hour.

Along those capacity lines, I'm sure looking forward to a three(plus?)-train RMC operations. If Corkscrew's running three trains, I have no doubt the new Streak will be made to gobble people up.

^speaking of Gatekeeper while its not the best coaster i ever been on I prefer it to SFGAm's wing coaster,X Flight. Which honestly i notice is kind of an unpopular opinion as I seen many people prefer Xflight to Gatekeeper. Gatekeeper gives me that stomach drop feeling which i love where as Xflight doesnt really have that. However i think Xflights keyhole is more intense then Gatekeepers.Gatekeepers keyholes are kind of on the slower side. So i guess in a way they both have their "cons" and pros.

We shouldn't act like all coasters are glorious experiences (Hi, Goudurix) or pretend we all feel the same way about them for fear of receiving negative labels. You say an opinion "means absolutely nothing," but they're not supposed to "mean something" beyond having enjoyable discussion within the community. Conversation with one another is the purpose, not persuading parks to do as we say. The notion of droves of old fogy enthusiasts who yell at clouds and tell parks what to do is overstated.

You're 100% right, I have no issue with enthusiasts that express their opinions about rides but understand that that opinion is simply a personal preference. For example, I hate X2 with a fiery passion but I know a lot of people love it and obviously it's a big hit for the park.

My issue is that when it comes to Gatekeeper (and Valravn actually), enthusiasts frequently act as if their opinion of the ride dictates whether or not it was a good investment for the park. There's something about Gatekeeper that drums up a storm of arrogance within the community and a lot of people refuse to accept the fact that their opinion doesn't reign supreme. Those are the people I'm talking about, if you personally don't like the ride then that's totally fine as long as you don't inflate your opinion to be more important than anyone elses (which is the single most annoying thing that coaster enthusiasts do). Enthusiasts also think that they make up a larger chunk of park attendance than they do. They act like parks need to appeal to enthusiasts and "the GP" equally as if 50% of park attendance comes from enthusiasts when in reality it's probably about 0.01% of attendance (though about 50% of the body odor). That's why I think it's hilarious that Gatekeeper did almost 2 million riders.

Your generalization of enthusiasts is a bit cynical in its own right.

You're damn right it is.

Along those capacity lines, I'm sure looking forward to a three(plus?)-train RMC operations. If Corkscrew's running three trains, I have no doubt the new Streak will be made to gobble people up.

Eh, I'm sure the ride crew will be awesome and the capacity will be totally adequate but RMC's usually run 24 passenger trains with seatbelts, lap bars and restrictive restraints. It likely won't touch the Raptor, Millennium Force and Gatekeeper numbers. Also Corkscrew is down to 2 trains now. It's a shame, but they usually stacked them all anyway.

Going off of what has been said by a couple people regarding the new RMC MS and capacity...

I always noticed how much space there was between the station and transfer area. It would be nice if they made separate load and unload areas so that when it really came time to board, it was a quicker process. Like MF for example. Or when C first opened. I have no clue why they ever got rid of the unload area. Having an unload section and a load section seems to make operations smoother and faster and more streamlined. You see it a lot at Disney and they have fantastic operations.

Boy, I'm sure glad I'm not the one paying for the site's bandwidth... XD

If everyone thought like you this site would either be really boring, or 100 times better.

Well guess who else is not bored. The moderator who has to clean up all the shit that gets posted.

Edited by larrygator

I've cleaned up the last 50 pages as best possible to keep the thread relevant to Cedar Point. Continue to post about Cedar Point, including its' SkyRide here.

How if you wish to discuss Cargo Shorts or other Sky Rides, Sky Lifts, Aerial Trams or Gondolas please use these threads

Discuss Cargo Shorts here

Discuss Sky Rides, Sky Lifts, Gondolas and Aerial Tram here

Please refrain from overuse of smilies, requoting others and general beating of a dead horse.

Edited by larrygator

It's almost as if people really love Gatekeeper and the overwhelming opinion of whiny A$$, cynical coaster enthusiasts means absolutely nothing.

Without a doubt, the coaster enthusiasts' opinion means nothing. I wholeheartedly agree. But Gatekeeper is the first thing people see entering the park *cough* X2, and the GP is such suckers for "first seen coaster, wanna go on that now!" and we all know it.

Gatekeeper extremely underwhelmed me and my 52 year old uncle, it was our 4th ride of the day. Mad props to the Ride Ops for their excellent throughput, and also to Cedar Point and B&M for an excellent location at the front of the park that would guarantee busy lines for the first half of the day. But after 2pm the ride was a 20 minute wait- to a walk on.

Honestly, the views were great, but the actual ride experience was so "meh" we went on Magnum 3x instead of giving Gatekeeper a double ride.

Honestly, I liked Gatekeeper, and I think it's one of the better coasters in the park. I'd put it #5 after (from 1 to 4) Millennium Force, Magnum, Maverick, and Raptor. Considering how elite those 4 are, that's really a great place to be. The only real criticism I have of Gatekeeper is that it's not the best of its kind; I give that to Thunderbird. I think that's where most enthusiasts underrate it, honestly. They expect CP to have the biggest and best--and in this case, Gatekeeper is only the biggest.

Admittedly I have never ridden any of the other wing coasters, so it's going to be easier to compare when I've ridden Demon or Swarm. I'll also admit that sitting in the front or middle wasn't that great on GateKeeper. But during my three days at Cedar Point the thing that struck me the most was how amazing GateKeeper was in the back seat. I've never ridden a non-airtime-machine with as much time spent floating as GateKeeper. To all the people who got underwhelmed by GK even though they tried the back seat, I'm sorry you feel that way. But I think a lot of people don't really give it a chance, so I'm telling you; try the left back row. As you see in my signature I put it just under Millenium Force, and not by far, so hopefully that proves that not only "the GP" loves it.

enthusiasts frequently act as if their opinion of the ride dictates whether or not it was a good investment for the park.

The best example I can come up with are all the enthusiasts who say "A dive coaster was a bad investment for the park". Have you guys seen the media coverage and lines on Valravn? Have you not heard the amount of people who scream "BEST RIDE EVER" on the break run? I understand it when people say something is a bad fit for a park, but when it goes into the "investments" territory it goes a bit too far.

^Damn. I rode the back/right of Gatekeeper.

And Valravn, we saved it for the last ride of the day, simply for the dumb long lines because it was like, 2 months new. I don't know, it just tamed in ride experience compared to Maverick, Dragster, and Force. I'd say in terms of comparison, Val and Gatekeeper were close to the exact same "huh? well that's it?" Maybe it was just how the day went about, but I'd say we enjoyed Magnum better than both of the latest B&M's in the park.

Raptor on the other hand was fantastic. Roug was, eh, just something that's there for another ride in the count of coasters at the park. Kind of how I see Iron Dragon. I actually liked Gemini better than both of those two coasters.

Cedar Point is such an odd park. Some of the big ones you expect to be insane and they're not. Then the smaller ones you really don't see it coming, and you're wondering where the hell that came from? Then a couple of the big ones deliver and you're like WOAH. It's one of the most bipolar parks in the country.

It's one of the most bipolar parks in the country.

Couldn't have said it better myself, that's really what I feel about Cedar Point. Great Adventure has only one painful coaster in my opinion (Green Lantern), and who knows, maybe I'll even like that one when I return like 5 years later. Visiting Cedar Point on the other hand, I thought Maverick, Magnum, Rougarou, Valravn, Blue Streak and Corkscrew all hurt more or less, but at the same time the top coasters (including Maverick even though it hurt) are so amazing it's unreal.

The rides I found underrated when I went there were GateKeeper, Gemini, Iron Dragon and Mean Streak (which in front row didn't hurt at all, it just rattled a lot).

And as far as I remember there's not a lot of difference on GK between left and right back, except that on the left it throws you over the first drop which is awesome.

oh god. i don't think i'd ever ride corkscrew again. when i was first getting into rollercoasters i hopped on corkscrew and i banged my head a couple times on the safety restraints near the end of the ride. that gave me a pretty nasty headache for the rest of the day. never. again.