Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

P. 130 - Six Flags 2019 Announcements
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Corporate Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:50 am

ElvisLuv wrote:American Dream:
Sea Life Aquarium
Legoland Discovery Centery
Amazing all Proslide water park
Theme Park with interesting mash up of two Gerstlauers already known.
KidZania
New Toys r us Flagship store (maybe)
Ski slope with tube rums
Not to forget any outside wheel built
Or other attractions like imax screens, soaring type ride of the NYV skyline and bowling/FEC type facilities like D&B all in a cluster

That's all well and good but as far as theme parks go that place won't hold a candle to Great Adventure assuming it ever actually opens and everyone knows it. It's great to have all of those things in one place but it's still a great distance from the park and really not the same level of park. Rye Playland, Coney Island and Adventureland are both much closer to New York City than Great Adventure is and Great Adventure is doing just fine. Those parks both seem to be about the same size and scale as the proposed American Dream theme park (except for Coney Island which is larger and will most likely have a much better selection of rides).

As for the water park, I wouldn't be surprised if that appeals to a more local market anyway. The water park market in the region is ridiculously competitive and Hurricane Harbor manages to hit capacity ALL THE TIME despite the fact that the park is objectively terrible.

ElvisLuv wrote:Add that to,the apparent smooth ride the proposed full sized Lego Park is having outside of NYC .

Legoland and Six Flags Great Adventure are clearly not targeting the same market, and Goshen is not exactly as close to New York as they'd have people believe. It's an hour and 40 minute drive from Manhattan and almost 70 miles away. It's also 122 miles from Great Adventure. I live near Goshen, by drive time it's closer to Scranton, PA or (depending on the day) Albany than it is to New York City.

Mike240SX wrote:
ElvisLuv wrote:

American Dream:
Never, ever, ever, going to open.

Fixed that for you.

Also this.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:45 am

Just got a survey asking a lot about Marvel characters - LOTS about Thor,then XMen, Cap America, The Defenders (Luke Cage, J Jones, Daredevil), and a series of questions on a dark ride idea called "Fairy World".

SF doesn't have the rights to Marvel, right? Guess they're seeing what people think about non DC characters? A lot of super hero movie questions as well (did you see/do you want to see/will you). I didn't know there's a Venom movie coming out. Dope!
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby 3Mutts » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:45 am

PKI Jizzman wrote:Just got a survey asking a lot about Marvel characters - LOTS about Thor,then XMen, Cap America, The Defenders (Luke Cage, J Jones, Daredevil), and a series of questions on a dark ride idea called "Fairy World".

SF doesn't have the rights to Marvel, right? Guess they're seeing what people think about non DC characters? A lot of super hero movie questions as well (did you see/do you want to see/will you). I didn't know there's a Venom movie coming out. Dope!

IDK what SF is thinking, Disney is not going to license out Marvel considering they are going to add new Marvel lands to their parks in the near future. In fact the only reason Universal can still use Marvel is because their deal came before Disney purchased Marvel and when it expires I doubt Disney will renew it.
Coaster Count: 142 total 94 steel 48 wood
Favorite Steel Coaster: Skyrush at Hershey Park
Favorite Wood Coaster: A tie between The Voyage at Holiday World and T Express at Everland
I'm posting from a IPad so I can't enable pics/video

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 am

^^I'm curious if the chain is looking into some of those characters for international parks under construction/consideration.

And yeah, there is a Venom movie coming out in October with Tom Hardy playing Venom! He's already done a better job than Topher Grace in Spider-Man 3.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 22
Credits: 117 (23 wood/94 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:34 am

Six Flags includes Marvel characters in their surveys testing DC character awareness in order to have a baseline comparison to the competition. They've included them in those types of surveys for the last few years now. You not only want to avoid using DC characters people have never heard of, but also any DC characters people are going to incorrectly associate with a corresponding Marvel character instead (ex: Green Arrow vs Hawkeye).
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:59 pm

What's the deal with the Fairy World concept, anyway? Seems like an odd choice, unless it involves some kind of brand/characters. Yet I'd also be interested to see what a Six Flags fairy dark ride would be like.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:32 pm

cal1br3tto wrote:What's the deal with the Fairy World concept, anyway? Seems like an odd choice, unless it involves some kind of brand/characters. Yet I'd also be interested to see what a Six Flags fairy dark ride would be like.

My comment was if you're going to install this in a park that already has a JL ride, I hope the Fairy World would match the quality of effort in themeing. There was no mention of branded content, seems like this might be something they'd venture off on by themselves. Why not re-fresh the idea of Monster Mansion or the SFOT Looney Toons boat ride? Those are great stand out dark rides that everyone loves.
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:14 pm

cal1br3tto wrote:What's the deal with the Fairy World concept, anyway? Seems like an odd choice, unless it involves some kind of brand/characters. Yet I'd also be interested to see what a Six Flags fairy dark ride would be like.

Hopefully like Adventureville at Adventure Island, UK. Strobe Lights and Techno Music!
Or Silver Mine at Gulliver's that says "Get the Hell Outta Here 2x"
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club. Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club. Joined August 17, 2013
Proud Member of the 500 Coaster Club. Joined January 30, 2015
Proud Member of the 600 Coaster Club, Joined April 21, 2017

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:51 am

Six Flags has sent us a press release announcing the rebranding of Waterworld Concord to Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Concord!

unnamed.png

Waterworld Concord will be rebranded Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Concord, when it opens this spring for the 2018 season. Northern California’s biggest and most thrilling waterpark will debut an exciting new attraction—Splashwater Island—a colossal water play area featuring more than 100 interactive sprayers, water jets and geysers. The park will also receive extensive theming and upgrades throughout the 30-acre property.

“Six Flags is a world-renowned leader in thrills and innovation and we are excited to add the Six Flags Hurricane Harbor name to our newest park,” said Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Concord President Don McCoy. “The new Splashwater Island attraction will delight families with young children and guests of all ages will enjoy the colorful, new theming and many park enhancements.”

Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Concord opens for the season on May 5 and later this spring will debut Splashwater Island, the largest addition to the park in over a decade. This multi-level play structure offers dancing fountains, water curtains and a giant tipping bucket. Guests will climb up ladders, splash down seven thrilling slides, and navigate multiple platforms and climbing nets. Guests will also enjoy new luxury cabanas and comfortable lounge chairs.

A bold, new entrance marquee will greet guests as they first enter the park. Other upgrades will include newly renovated dining areas and retail shops. Many of the water slides and attractions will receive fresh, brightly-colored paint treatments and new signage.

2018 Combo Season Passes are now available for Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Concord and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Visit sixflags.com/hurricaneharborconcord for more information.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby RaceBoarder » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Question for DirkFunk or anyone that follows the financials of the park chains:

Is there any business logic that could be driving SF to switch a majority of their pass holders over to memberships? I'm referencing SF getting a smaller, yet steady sum of money monthly w/ memberships vs getting a huge influx of cash at Labor Day, then minimal amounts from pass sales over the rest of the year.

It seems that the memberships will probably net a higher amount of cash per pass holder per year vs the current system. I'm just curious if there is a tax break or something that would drive them to spread that cash out over all four quarters of the financial year instead of getting the current lump sum in Q3.

Thanks for doing a Business for Dummies session here :oops:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!