TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 751 - Lightning Rod expected to reopen with the park!

I was at Dollywood on the 30th and got 8 rides on Lightning Rod, never waiting more than 3-4 trains for it. I found it amusing that the ride ops were telling everyone in line "the line is short and the ride hasn't broken down yet, it probably will at some point so get your rides in now". I ended up being on the last train before it broke down when the train ahead rolled back on the lift hill.

As the day progressed the only part of the ride that was a bit rough, and even then I thought it was fine, was the section of track at the bottom of the quad down.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did I call this or what? Anyway, I did better side-by-side comparison for you.

^Lets be real...if you really wanna follow those guidelines you wouldn’t even be going to amusement parks. 

You mean because now it might feel like it's... rolling and... coasting and... open?

Posted Images

Thinking about taking a weekend trip to Dollywood in October, any recommendations for hotels in town for someone on a budget ($80-$90 a night or less) but aren’t completely terrible?

If you stay in Sevierville you can save some money. October can be tough as the leaves are changing and the town in busy. It also depends if you can go during the week or have to go on the weekend.

I've had good luck at the Comfort Inn on Dollywood Lane, it is centrally located and a decent hotel. The Sleep Inn on the Parkway in Sevierville has been nice at a good price, but it is further away from the more touristy areas

If you stay in Sevierville you can save some money. October can be tough as the leaves are changing and the town in busy. It also depends if you can go during the week or have to go on the weekend.

I've had good luck at the Comfort Inn on Dollywood Lane, it is centrally located and a decent hotel. The Sleep Inn on the Parkway in Sevierville has been nice at a good price, but it is further away from the more touristy areas

I went in October once, never again because of the crowds to see the fall scenery but these are not normal times, so who knows what to expect? I have stayed at the Sleep Inn in Sevierville and it wasn't too expensive and was very nice.

I am hoping to go in December. I saw this video predicting the next 5 years of Dollywood. With my hours reduced, I am looking forward to a " Better Day" Ahead . I am hoping for a better year. Even if the video is wrong, its fun to discuss

Video Predictions:

2021 Most likely no expansion/new rides

2021-2022 Interactive Dark Ride or Flying Theater. Most likely 2022

2023 B & M Hyper Coaster or Mac Spinner

2024 Water Park new Ride/New Shop

2025 Wildwood Grove Part II maybe including a Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster

I apologize if this has been asked a million times before, but my family is potentially planning a trip to Dollywood around Christmastime this December. Are there any coasters that are definitely closed for the winter event? Or are they all completely weather dependent?

I can post this same question in the SDC thread as well, because we are considering going there too. So if anyone wants to comment on both parks here, I'd appreciate it!

I also recognize this year could be completely different than any other, but I'm just curious what their past events have looked like in terms of operating coasters.

Went yesterday, LR was closed. Another interesting thing I noticed, all theming has been removed from the overhead trestle on mystery mine. All wood, all theming, all everything! My camera batteries were dead and so was my phone so no photo, but it looked bad. Hopefully they will redo it and didn't remove everything due to the incident. It's basically just the track and metal frame now

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I know it's a bummer to see Lightning Rod down, but I can definitely see the need to do track work and this seems to be the appropriate time (post-Labor Day) to do it.

When we went, there was a rough spot in the track immediately following the quad-down, where the track turns to the right before the little speed hill into the final overbank. It was tolerable in all rows except the back row, where it slammed so hard that we only rode back row twice during our visit. I mentioned it to one of the ride ops and they were aware of it, too.

At this point, they need to either tear Lightning Rod down or do an RMC conversion on it. It's really bad publicity for Dollywood and is extremely upsetting to guests to visit and have the coaster closed. I was there Saturday and spoke to the lead ride operator from Lightning Rod and he said the manufacturer told them to shut it down and not to touch it. He had no idea when it was going to reopen. Remember when Timber Tower never ran and Dollywood removed it after only a couple of years?

I'm not sure what they need to do with Lightning Rod, but it's hard to think of a modern coaster that's been this much of a turd after years of operation (though "operation" is a generous phrase here). The stratas come to mind, but even with them; they break down a lot intermittently but they operate for a decent chunk of the day most days.

Edited by coasterbill
At this point, they need to either tear Lightning Rod down or do an RMC conversion on it.

Um...just LOL.

What's so funny about that? The ride never works and it is only 4 years old. Three if you count the year it didn't run at all. There are design flaws in this coaster. You shouldn't have to retrack a coaster after such little use. It's been modified several times and it is still not operational. It they did an RMC conversion on it the steel tracks would last forever with few, if any issues. They tried this concept, it didn't work. It's time to do something about it.

Are there any coasters that are definitely closed for the winter event? Or are they all completely weather dependent?

All weather dependent. None are specifically closed for Christmasn (unlike Six Flags that shuts down sections of the park).

Only the water rides close when the weather cools off.

Are there any coasters that are definitely closed for the winter event?

Well... there's one

Which? What coaster is closed for the winter Thanksgiving/Christmas events.

I've ridden ever coaster in the park in December.

The same one that's closed for Spring, Summer and Fall events.

(It's a joke... though it WILL totally be closed)

I see.

That's an assumption. LR could be back up by mid Nov.

For a ride that's "always" closed I've ridden it a lot.

So many I've lost count.

The same one that's closed for Spring, Summer and Fall events.

(It's a joke... though it WILL totally be closed)

I see.

That's an assumption. LR could be back up by mid Nov.

For a ride that's "always" closed I've ridden it a lot.

So many I've lost count.

FFS IT WAS A JOKE!!!

That being said, I've been to the park three times since the ride has been open and I've gotten on it once. So...

The other thing that is quite moronic about your post is that you live somewhat close to the park and probably have more of an opportunity to change plans based on what rides may or may not be operating.

When you live a plane ride away and you have to make plans months in advance, you don't have that luxury.

So that being said, YES, the ride has been down quite a bit and so many other people have missed out.

Next time, before you go making such an ignorant statement, maybe you should try telling the entire story.

I know there are bigger things going on in the world, but my wife was super excited for Lightning Rod for our first visit next week. I don't know how to break it to her that it's not happening. Someone reassure me and tell me there's a 1% chance!

FFS IT WAS A JOKE!!!

I got that. (Hence the "I see" statement)

Doubt the person asking about rides closed for winter would have though.

As was my quip about it "always" being closed.

Just checked and noticed there were some nuances on the web view vs Tapatalk. Like Bill's comment about it will be is in small print, while TT shows no indication of that.

But fine, he can be snarky ("it WILL totally be closed") but I can't.

you live somewhat close to the park and probably have more of an opportunity to change plans based on what rides may or may not be operating.

Somewhat? 4.5-5 hours. I certainly don't wake up one morning, run to DW, then come home. It's at least a long weekend, normally a week long trip, and planned a month in advance.

But a trip to Pigeon Forge is not just about DW or a particular coaster. Unlike the 3hr trip to SFoG.