TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's poetic justice that Universal's anti-Skyplex propaganda actually worked AGAINST them. It helped solidify the argument for 'yes' because people highlighted all the the half-truths in their flyers, and the fact they were trying to hold Orlando to ransom. There were so many good points made by the yes camp and so many of those points were in direct response to the scaremongering by Universal. I love Universal, but if they wanted so much control over their neighbours then why didn't they do what Disney did and make sure they owned the land around them?

I'm glad this project was approved to move forward and I'm very excited about it, but I still won't believe it until the day it opens. This seems like a massive undertaking and there's a lot of time left between now and whenever it's supposed to open for things to go wrong. I'm still optimistic and wish them the best of luck with the project, just hope everything else goes smoothly.

I think it's poetic justice that Universal's anti-Skyplex propaganda actually worked AGAINST them. It helped solidify the argument for 'yes' because people highlighted all the the half-truths in their flyers, and the fact they were trying to hold Orlando to ransom. There were so many good points made by the yes camp and so many of those points were in direct response to the scaremongering by Universal. I love Universal, but if they wanted so much control over their neighbours then why didn't they do what Disney did and make sure they owned the land around them?

I thought up a weird unlikely thing, what if Universal hoped Skyplex would be approved. Hang in here with me, in a way this made news on a worldwide bassis. Basically the whole world now know they have future plans to expend in a area near the park, they also been big news these past few days by fighting a project that would only attract more people. This was more publicity then if they just spend a 10 million or so into SkyPlex. Like I said it's unlikely but would explain the really bad poster they spread.

Why is universal fighting this if its not about the competition? Just because of the height and stuff like that?

Universal is under contract for 500 acres of land in the I-Drive area (Universal Blvd Area surrounding the Lockheed facility) which would put them much closer to this project than they are currently. If the speculation is correct, Universal would take ownership of land as close as one block from the Skyplex Tower. This would put the skyplex tower much easier to see from their future property/3rd gate.

Still not a reason to block the project, but they are going to need to get creative if they are going to prevent it from being seen from within their property.

Universal is under contract for 500 acres of land in the I-Drive area (Universal Blvd Area surrounding the Lockheed facility) which would put them much closer to this project than they are currently.

News that very conveniently just happened to leak out at around the time of the final vote last night. Almost like somebody didn't want Skyplex to have all the news headlines to themselves.

Universal is under contract for 500 acres of land in the I-Drive area (Universal Blvd Area surrounding the Lockheed facility) which would put them much closer to this project than they are currently.

News that very conveniently just happened to leak out at around the time of the final vote last night. Almost like somebody didn't want Skyplex to have all the news headlines to themselves.

If so it seems to have worked overall- while local news this morning was talking about Skyplex, I noticed my iphone's theme park news had a headline about a possible new Universal park but nothing on Skyplex... No matter though, any redevelopment on I-Drive sounds good to me!

Very excited that this passed, and with such force as well! Very excited to see when things start moving on it.

I'm so glad they voted for the Skyplex, I think it'll do great and everyone who visits me here, I'll be trying to get them to ride lol. Super excited!!!

If Universal was indeed negotiating something for the space by Universal Blvd, then that should've been part of their plea during the meeting. I understand they may not have all the details and plans ironed out yet, but a smidget of something would've been nice to help their argument. The tease of a new Universal park or resort would've stood out more and possibly caused second opinions. All in all, I don't really believer Universal had plans for that space and if they did they certainly don't have plans now lol.

I don't think headlines has anything to do with it. It came out because people kept wondering why Universal had so much interest in a project that is 2 miles away from their current property.