TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gröna Lund Discussion Thread

So do we know which version of the inverted trains this will have?

Not that they affect the enjoyment too much, but the originals provide a preferable ride experience for me, over the trains with the vest restraints. Hopefully this will ride more like Oziris than Banshee.

You could be describing my first rides on Montu, too. I wrote that off as well, but then re-riding it a few years later it blew my socks off. Maybe you caught OzIris on a bad day (or bad days). It's honestly one of my favourite inverts 🤷‍♀️

Regarding Monster, at least even if it is like [your least favourite invert], I feel at least it has the quirky layout and near-misses to its advantage. 

I felt Oziris was an excellent example of a new school B&M Inverted, where Banshee's long and gliding inversions lacked the wow factor for me.

I'm grateful that Monster is able to fit in the space, and am just hoping it rides more like an original Batman clone than a wing coaster :)

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 5:56 PM, KBrylczyk said:

Extraordinarily slow and legitimately making me think it won't make it back to the station?

I honestly did not think it was that slow. Sure, it was nothing like a batman clone but I found it waaay more intense than any B&M wing coaster I've been on (actually, the only B&M built after Oziris that felt more intense to me was Fury).

I have not been on banshee but it doesn't seem super intense. Fast, yes, but also with very drawn out elements.

I'm sure this will be a great fun ride but I'm not expecting a batman clone. B&M seems to be done with rides that intense.

This project is so awesome, I can't wait to see this thing when it opens. I'm really interested to see what they do with the station/que theming since all of that (or most of it at least) is under ground. I've never really noticed it til now but most of the coasters at Grona Lund have kind of generic names but really elaborate and beautiful theming around the attractions. It's almost like it's like it's a "theme park" where the theme is a "classic amusement park.", so a coaster called Monster with an underground station and tunnels has all kinds of potential to be really creative and awesome.

In regards to the Oziris thing, when we rode Oziris we were expecting it to be a really weak invert after the reviews on here but it was actually really good so maybe it’s running better in general or we just caught it on a good day. The first drop is excellent, nothing else was super forceful but it wasn’t weak either. The theming elements and tunnel bumped it up a bit for me. It’s not a top-tier invert but for me it’s easily better than something like Talon, Great Bear, Ice Dragon post-dueling or Silver Bullet. I’d call it average.

I have no clue how this thing will ride but every single B&M invert is good so no matter what, it’s a win.

• Like 3

OzIris was my favorite invert when I rode it last year.  I wasn't expecting to get the half dozen airtime moments I got in the back row and the inversions were a good mix of forceful and floaty ones.  It seems like the ride has started running better when I look at recent reviews versus older ones.

Monster looks fantastic, especially since it's crammed into such a tight space at Grona Lund.

• Like 2

As someone that has watched Grona Lund grow from afar for years, enamored with how they’ve managed to squeeze more rides into their limited footprint, I’m especially eager to see how this new B&M fits—and what room there is left for future additions.

• 1 month later...

^^ Wow! What a wonderful video! I loved the pacing, the music... and damn those workers are heroes to me, lol!

It was a nice, more seductive pace and sound, than the usual cacophony of LOUD NOISE and LOUD MUSIC in a lot of construction videos.

(Not that there's anything really wrong with LOUD NOISE and LOUD MUSIC in a construction video.)

A beautiful video I would easily watch again. 👏

• Thanks 1

Looks impressive. Nice to see a new original B&M invert in 2021. With a set open date for April 24 this may end up opening sooner then three coasters in Florida, two of which were supposed to open last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news. Banshee is a good ride but in the back of the train it feels like the ride is trying to shake itself apart and has felt like that since the year it opened. It doesn't ruin the ride or anything, but when compared to an old-school invert train it obviously tracks like a pile of dog shit.

I feel like B&M inverts maintain their smoothness over time better than basically any other ride type. Montu's layout is is preposterously aggressive, it's 25 years old, it has no offseason and it couldn't possibly be smoother. The same is true of every B&M invert ever running an old-style train. Why they ever messed with such a perfect train is beyond me.

• Like 1

So glad to see they went with the old school trains/restraints! I'm not a fan of B&M's restrictive vests at all. I tend to float around in my seat a lot more with these traditional OTSRs, even if they're a bit bulkier.

However, I wonder if they only went with the old trains because this coaster was planned before the second generation invert trains were developed. While the layout has changed, you can see concept art for a proposed B&M invert to be added to Grona Lund all the way back in 2008 on the second page of this thread. Just something to consider.

image.png.a373766e3cbc07cf7d2ceb0fadd74a5e.png

image.png.c4231f20f09a079cd9c8bffd36f7322b.png

2 hours ago, DBru said:

However, I wonder if they only went with the old trains because this coaster was planned before the second generation invert trains were developed. While the layout has changed, you can see concept art for a proposed B&M invert to be added to Grona Lund all the way back in 2008 on the second page of this thread. Just something to consider.

Plausible. If this coaster was refined over the course of half a decade or more, it makes sense that they'd stick with the train type they started with as opposed to starting from the drawing board. I wouldn't be surprised if the general layout was "finalized" at about the time that they installed Eclipse - 2013, right in between OzIris and Banshee.

I'd bet that this is the exception, not the rule though. I don't see any reason why B&M would offer the old style on any of their coasters from this point on. They seem to like to keep things standardized.

Remember that the B&M Dive Coaster that went to South Korea in 2018 features the original restraints, opening 2 years after Valravn. Perhaps that one is a case of being planned for several years too. I always just assumed that the park could request which they want and B&M would deliver, but perhaps B&M is trying to phase out the old ones as well.

5 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

Remember that the B&M Dive Coaster that went to South Korea in 2018 features the original restraints, opening 2 years after Valravn. Perhaps that one is a case of being planned for several years too. I always just assumed that the park could request which they want and B&M would deliver, but perhaps B&M is trying to phase out the old ones as well.

If you are referring to this coaster, it's a (near?) clone of Griffon at BGW. So that might have something to do with it.

On the other hand, This Chinese Coaster, which opened the same year, has the old-school OTSRs.

At the end of the day, I'm sure B&M (or any manufacturer for that matter) has options that parks can pick and choose from.  And they will build whatever a park wants and will pay for.  I'm sure if Grona Lund wanted specialized 2 abreast trains to help squeeze the ride into the tight space B&M would've happily obliged for the right price.