TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 452 - Busch Gardens Summer Nights

My family is going to be there on April 1st and 2nd.  We will be in the Williamsburg area this Sunday through next Saturday.  Does anyone have recommendations on local restaurants?  We are into seafood, American, Mexican, and Italian food.  Thanks!

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Halloween Harvest, or “Howl-o-Scream Lite.” Busch Gardens is sticking with its “reservations only/limited attendance” events with Halloween Harvest during October. This is sort of “Howl-o-Scream

^^Hmm--I think your assumption is correct.  @Mike240SX I'm certainly not expecting "full operations" before Memorial Day Weekend, which isn't unusual (for example, they usually don' t start operating

Before this thread derails off course into a COVID discussion, I’ll just keep it simple:  everyone should follow their state and local guidelines.  This isn’t something up for debate on TPR. Now

Posted Images

3 hours ago, mulfdog said:

My family is going to be there on April 1st and 2nd.  We will be in the Williamsburg area this Sunday through next Saturday.  Does anyone have recommendations on local restaurants?  We are into seafood, American, Mexican, and Italian food.  Thanks!

Every time I go to Williamsburg, I make an effort to eat at Food for Thought.  It’s the #1 rated restaurant on Yelp for a reason.  The prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food and the service is fantastic.  The pot roast melts in your mouth, the ribs are so tender that the meat falls off the bone, and they have a great take on Pad Thai.  I’ve never had anything there that I didn’t absolutely love.

If your family are big meat eaters, Old City BBQ is another one of our favorites.  Their brisket is some of the best I’ve had outside of Texas.

• Like 1

^ menu looks great, and right down the street from where I'll be staying. While I won't be hungry the night we are doing food and wine, we are driving up the day before and I will probably make it a point to stop in. I'll let you know how it is!

10 hours ago, mulfdog said:

I liked the BBQ at Rocco's Smokehouse. Second St Bistro was good too. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, mulfdog said:

Plaza Azteca is your best bet for Mexican food.  Pierce's Pitt Bar-B-Que  is a local institution if you like a good pulled-pork sammich and hush puppies. For Italian, Guiseppe's (on Olde  Towne Road) or the Tuscany Ristorante (Olde Towne Chopping Center on Longhill) are good choices, as is Maurizio's (on Rt. 60 not far from BGW). La Piazza  in Merchants Square in new, and I did a have nice lunch there a few weeks ago. You also can't go wrong with the Dog Street Pub (Merchant's Square).

If you want a nice, big breakfast, try Shorty's Diner on Rt. 143 or the Five Forks Cafe on Rt. 5.

• Like 1

Pantheon is now doing full course runs. There is footage floating about if you know where to look of the train launching back and forth up the spike and over the top hat and the outerbank.

• Like 1

I'm jealous of BGW...I wish SWO would have gotten this ride instead of comfortcollarcrap Icebreaker. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It looks great in the clips, with some really nice speed, especially for early tests.

I'm sooooo hype for this ride, even more so than Jersey Devil which is an hour from me. I'm sure that will be great, but this just looks like a top 5'er for me. It ticks all my boxes, and that its at BGW is the cherry on top.

• Like 1

Maybe I've missed some sort of official announcement, but is it safe to assume that the full park won't be open (meaning everything currently marked "Temporarily Closed" will be running) until May after the Food & Wine festival?

10 hours ago, coasterbill said:

^That reminds me, we took your Shorty's Diner recommendation and it was a neat place. I can also vouch for that one.

Ill give it a third... old Pizza Hut turned 50's diner

I was at the park today and caught the last test train of the day on the way to Apollo's Chariot.   Here's a short video and some stills.  The outward banked airtime hill looks amazing!

Also in case anyone is wondering, Apollo's Chariot closes for 30 mph sustained winds and 40 mph gusts.  The ride opened late today for this reason.

Pantheon Top Hat.jpg

Pantheon Drop.jpg

165946939_PantheonOutwardBankedHill.thumb.jpg.072f6a8426acd5091ef8bf47048087d9.jpg

• Like 9

Nice timing (I'm a local, and I've yet to see Pantheon testing). I agree that the outward banked turn looks amazing., and I love the color they chose for the track.

I don't think I was able to appreciate how good Pantheon has the potential to be until seeing it in motion. I really hope they can open it by the time I visit in late June.

Awesome looking ride to add to an already excellent collection of coasters.

Hopefully they will give the station and queue area a bit more love before it opens to match the standard of theming elsewhere in the park.

It's such a shame that this world-class roller coaster has zero theming and a station that looks like it was made in a day. I know money is really tight so we probably won't see too much more done with it :( But I think it would be cool if they added some real theming to it down the line and they could even do a re-launch of the ride. It's a stretch but you never know...

• Like 3

Yeah I was pretty hyped for this, it had an extra year to build, but after seeing this my hype just hit 11.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbGyEMuwOY&t=118s

Really hope its open by mid-late May. 
I can bail to KD if it isn't, but I really hope that's not the case. I was torn if I should commit to BGW regardless as I've not been in ages but won't lie...if I'm there and Pantheon is sitting there not open I'll be too sad ha

2 hours ago, coastercoaster5 said:

It's such a shame that this world-class roller coaster has zero theming and a station that looks like it was made in a day. I know money is really tight so we probably won't see too much more done with it :( But I think it would be cool if they added some real theming to it down the line and they could even do a re-launch of the ride. It's a stretch but you never know...

I think it'll look a lot better when the leaves grow on the trees and hide the layout more.

I'm looking forward to that outward banked curve and the bit where it heads toward the Rhine River.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, cfc said:

I'm looking forward to that outward banked curve and the bit where it heads toward the Rhine River.

Agreed it appears to be hauling at the bottom of the drop.  I love the extended stall too.  I was excited before but after seeing it testing it looks amazing!

What is everyone's best guess as to when it will open?  In a normal year I would say it is close enough to say within a month but who knows what they are thinking now.  I would think they are looking at Memorial Day'ish to be ready for summer.  I hope I'm right because our family trip is the first weekend in June.

1 hour ago, grsupercity said:

I love Intamin 

This perfectly sums up my thoughts.

Between this and Velocicoaster (not to mention Hagrid's too), I am stoked that Intamin has a new presence in the U.S. I really hope they can form a new relationship with Cedar Fair because that is the only other chain I can see spending the money needed for a large scale Intamin like this.

Also, I hate saying things like "[this] will be the best in the world!" but, uh, yeah. That 95-degree drop off the top hat towards the river with no trims is going to be one of the best drops in the world.

• Like 2