TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 452 - Busch Gardens Summer Nights

Heading to the park for the first time Memorial Day weekend. Does anybody have any idea if the park will be back to regular operations by then and have all the rides open? 

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Halloween Harvest, or “Howl-o-Scream Lite.” Busch Gardens is sticking with its “reservations only/limited attendance” events with Halloween Harvest during October. This is sort of “Howl-o-Scream

^^Hmm--I think your assumption is correct.  @Mike240SX I'm certainly not expecting "full operations" before Memorial Day Weekend, which isn't unusual (for example, they usually don' t start operating

Before this thread derails off course into a COVID discussion, I’ll just keep it simple:  everyone should follow their state and local guidelines.  This isn’t something up for debate on TPR. Now

Posted Images

^The state is poised to lift restrictions on June 15, so my first guess is "probably not."

Here's an article about what the park is doing to bring in more staff.

Busch Gardens, Water Country USA still need 1,000 workers as fewer international student workers return

Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Water Country USA are offering higher wages and benefits to attract more than 1,000 workers this year as businesses compete for staff.

The amusement parks typically add 600 to 1,000 workers each season, so the hiring push isn’t unusual, although demand for workers, particularly in the hospitality industry, is stronger this year, said Kevin Lembke, president of the parks.

You can read more here.

UPDATE: I did come across a tweet saying that Alpengeist (Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, says the park website) and Loch Ness Monster (not listed on the park website) were currently running. I'm going to the park this Sunday, so I guess I'll see for myself.

I strongly expect the full existing coaster lineup to be open. Maybe not all rides and operations. Regular operations, almost surely not until June 15 and who knows after that. Pantheon is unknown, I'm thinking opening and promotion could be reversed. Covid trend looks great, don't catch it before it's gone.

Busch was probably promised by Intamin that they would get this model first in the US. Now the Velocicoaster has totally eclipsed it and it opened first. 

I think Pantheon will still be spectacular.

43 minutes ago, rachelmadcow said:

Busch was probably promised by Intamin that they would get this model first in the US. Now the Velocicoaster has totally eclipsed it and it opened first.

LOL where do you guys get this stuff?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mach Tower usually doesn't open very often in a non-plague year. I wouldn't hold out hope for that one. lol

• Haha 1

^I know you'll be happy when LeScoot opens.

19 hours ago, BitterOldHag said:

I noticed the Sky Ride is currently closed too.  :(

It's been closed since last year. That being said, Gov. Northam announced that Virginia will be relaxing restrictions for fully vaccinated persons on May 28 (two weeks ahead of their original schedule). So, stay tuned.

On 5/14/2021 at 9:35 AM, coasterbill said:

Mach Tower usually doesn't open very often in a non-plague year. I wouldn't hold out hope for that one. lol

yeah. . if you see it operating. . go over there.

it's a decent drop tower, but the main reason to ride is the spectacular views you get - Mach Tower rotates the gondola as it raises.
totally worth it for that portion, even if the actual drop part of the ride is only so-so.

• Like 1
On 5/14/2021 at 12:36 PM, cfc said:

^I know you'll be happy when LeScoot opens.

Best ride in the park.

So Alpengeist is only open on weekends?  What kind of crap is that?  I am going the first weekend in June and will be in the park on Sunday and Monday so I guess I better get my Alpie rides in on Sunday.

Right now is the Food & Wine Festival, which is advertised as having a limited ride lineup.  I would guess that the rest of the rides will be open regularly once they transition to daily operations at the end of this month.

They seem to be taking an under-promise and over-deliver approach right now.

Tempesto and Loch Ness were open this weekend despite not being on the website at all. Alpengeist also ran on at least a few weekdays last week. It seems like it's all based on staffing. The first weekend in June is also a different event.

I don't expect this to be an issue then, but yeah... if you're going Sunday then ride everything then anyway.

Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot, and Griffon, I recall all have big boy seats.

you might have an issue on InvadR and Loch Ness Monster, . . and I think for sure you'll have issue on Verbolten

I'm not a "regular" at this park tho, so hopefully someone that goes frequently (Chuck?) can give you more detailed answer :)

Here's the thing: someone who is 5'2 and 250lbs is going to have a very different experience with any riders seats/restraints than someone who is say 6'2 250lbs. Body types can fluctuate considerably so I don't know how anyone can say whether or not someone who is 250lbs will have a hard/easy time fitting into rides without knowing what their height/body type is. I've seen big tall dudes with giant beer guts fit into El Toro and short small women with a tiny waist but thick legs get the walk of shame.

Also I'm not sure about big boy seats at this park (I should know, tbh since I am one) but I disagree with Bert about Verbolten - as a big boy I've never found those trains or lapbars particularly tight/unaccommodating.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, bert425 said:

Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot, and Griffon, I recall all have big boy seats.

you might have an issue on InvadR and Loch Ness Monster, . . and I think for sure you'll have issue on Verbolten

I'm not a "regular" at this park tho, so hopefully someone that goes frequently (Chuck?) can give you more detailed answer :)

The "big boy" seats on Alpengeist are in the two middle cars of each train (the "diamond" rows in the station). Griffon has two such seats in the middle of each row (look for the double seat belts). Apollo's Chariot doesn't have "big boy" seats to the best of my knowledge. InvadR can be tricky for large folks (I have to give the lapbar a strong yank to lock it in place).

1 hour ago, boldikus said:

Here's the thing: someone who is 5'2 and 250lbs is going to have a very different experience with any riders seats/restraints than someone who is say 6'2 250lbs. Body types can fluctuate considerably so I don't know how anyone can say whether or not someone who is 250lbs will have a hard/easy time fitting into rides without knowing what their height/body type is. I've seen big tall dudes with giant beer guts fit into El Toro and short small women with a tiny waist but thick legs get the walk of shame.

Also I'm not sure about big boy seats at this park (I should know, tbh since I am one) but I disagree with Bert about Verbolten - as a big boy I've never found those trains or lapbars particularly tight/unaccommodating.

Thanks, I completely understand. I also appreciate everyone’s feedback. I’ll be going for the first time and just want to make sure I have an awesome experience. This park has been on my bucket list for years.

3 hours ago, boldikus said:

I guess that comes down to the different body type thing you just brought up. . . Verbolten has always been super snug for me (I fit, but not comfortably. . same thing with Backlot Stunt Coaster at KD).

and I'm not super big - I don't use the Big Boy seats on the B&Ms for example, I fit in the regular just fine.

so yeah, reiterating what you said. . different people are gonna fit differently.