TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ I hope they put Maverick on it , I was there once and the fast lane line was 30min!

I would not be surprised to see Maverick go on Fast Lane Plus next year with Gatekeeper getting dropped off. We waited about 15 minutes max for Gatekeeper when we went this season for the front row (which seems ridiculous for a brand new coaster) while Maverick almost always has at least a half hour wait, if not an hour or more.

^ I totally agree about Magnum's airtime. The only thing that could make it better IMO, would be to get different trains. Something with some padding, not the hard plastic that is used. Also a little more room to enter and exit the car would be good too. I'm not a big guy, but its difficult getting in and out of Magnum's trains because of the lap bar.

A little more padding might be nice, but personally I'd hate to see them get different trains. I love that you aren't stapled into your seat like you are on more modern coasters, and that wouldn't be worth trading in just for a more open, comfy train.

Yes, new trains would be perfect!

I remember at one Coastermania meeting (we used to have them in the afternoon not anymore), Ron Toomer was the guest and he said I'd never ride one of the coasters I designed. That says it all. May he rest in peace.

^ I totally agree about Magnum's airtime. The only thing that could make it better IMO, would be to get different trains. Something with some padding, not the hard plastic that is used. Also a little more room to enter and exit the car would be good too. I'm not a big guy, but its difficult getting in and out of Magnum's trains because of the lap bar.

A little more padding might be nice, but personally I'd hate to see them get different trains. I love that you aren't stapled into your seat like you are on more modern coasters, and that wouldn't be worth trading in just for a more open, comfy train.

Yes, new trains would be perfect!

I remember at one Coastermania meeting (we used to have them in the afternoon not anymore), Ron Toomer was the guest and he said I'd never ride one of the coasters I designed. That says it all. May he rest in peace.

New Chance Morgan trains or 2 across B&M Trains?

I guess I'm in the minority, I had three rides on Magnum during my visit, all towards the back, and I never even once thought about the lap bar. I had plenty of breathing room between it and my legs, and never experienced any pain.

As a fairly tall person (6ft 2), I HATE Magnum's lap bars. I can't even enjoy the ride without my upper thighs hating me through every airtime moment, specifically the triangle bunny hops. I am in the minority when I say that I don't like Magnum very much. New lap bars would do this ride wonders.

I had the exact same experience as you (I'm 6ft 0). It also didn't help that I had just gotten off Mean Streak and was already sore. Next time I will try to ride it earlier and over tighten the seat belt, I do think it would make a ton of difference if that lap bar wasn't cutting into my legs.

^ I hope they put Maverick on it , I was there once and the fast lane line was 30min!
I would not be surprised to see Maverick go on Fast Lane Plus next year with Gatekeeper getting dropped off.

This is an outstanding idea to me..I agree. I was there on a pretty dead day where the FLP was pretty useless on GateKeeper but the Maverick FL line was still over 30 minutes. I think having Maverick and TTD on the FLP is the perfect set.

^^ He didn't ride his coasters because he had terrible motion sickness. It's not because of the rides themselves.

I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting me know. I thought he was just a jerk. The following year we had Claude from B&M, and he said he always wants to be the first on his new rides.

^^ He didn't ride his coasters because he had terrible motion sickness. It's not because of the rides themselves.

I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting me know. I thought he was just a jerk. The following year we had Claude from B&M, and he said he always wants to be the first on his new rides.

Maybe that's why B&M rides are getting tamer, Claude has to be in his 40s and probably can't handle major G's anymore

^ Nope it's due to parks ordering less intense rides to meet the demands of a whinier, weaker GP. The B&Ms being built in China meet the forces of the early 2000s B&Ms (Sky Scrapper and Hair Raiser).

I've never been on those. However, Raptor, Maverick, and other rides that are either old B&Ms or are rides by other manufacturers that are very intense are still popular in America and are not considered dangerous.

^^I've never been on any "asian" B&M but it does make sense because they wouldn't just stop building forceful rides for no reason.
The layout is so much more creative than the US flyers. I wish I had any other reason to go to China so I could ride this thing.

There is another example of a same model coaster being tamer in the US though there's only one of them so far. Intamin's ZacSpin at SFMM is set to be far more tame than its predecessor Insane in Sweden. Word is that is SFMM's operation decision though as opposed to a design decision by Intamin.

^I'll definitely testify that SFMM really tries to put as much balance as possible to avoid inversions. I had one ride that was perfectly balanced: didn't invert or even remotely rock.

Insane runs better because the park knows how to operate it and make it...well, insane.

^Last time I went to SFMM I got a car on GL:FF that had me (140 lbs) and my friend (160) on one side, and her younger sister (70) and an empty seat on the other side.

This is how you neuter yourself, folks.

AND GETTING THIS CONVERSATION BACK TO CEDAR POINT.

As far as racing coasters go, how high would you rank Gemini?

^Last time I went to SFMM I got a car on GL:FF that had me (140 lbs) and my friend (160) on one side, and her younger sister (70) and an empty seat on the other side.

This is how you neuter yourself, folks.

Agreed. I can usually handle intense rides, but not when it feels like your head is about to explode. I hope Cedar Point never gets a ZacSpin.

Gemini: very good racer, but only about average for a coaster. For racers, I put it below Lightning Racer, on par with Racer at Kennywood, and well above the rest. Unlike too many others, CP seems fairly committed to racing it. However, I didn't get the plentiful airtime that others report, or much excitement outside of the enjoyable racing effect.

Is it true that the secret to more comfortable rides on Magnum is pulling your seatbelt as tight as possible? I tried it, but don't have enough experience to know if it works. It's too bad those lap bars tend to auto-staple. My mind seems to process the airtime on Magnum as more charming and quirky as opposed to extreme and amazing.

I found the best way to ride Magnum was to use the "rodeo" method where one hand holds the lapbar up from crushing you and the other hand is high in the air. The airtime on Magnum is insane, that's one of the reasons I think it's better than Millennium.

Is it true that the secret to more comfortable rides on Magnum is pulling your seatbelt as tight as possible? I tried it, but don't have enough experience to know if it works. It's too bad those lap bars tend to auto-staple. My mind seems to process the airtime on Magnum as more charming and quirky as opposed to extreme and amazing.

I found the best way to ride Magnum was to use the "rodeo" method where one hand holds the lapbar up from crushing you and the other hand is high in the air. The airtime on Magnum is insane, that's one of the reasons I think it's better than Millennium.

It has been several years since I have been to CP, but I dont remember the lap bar being a problem at all on Magnum. Does it have anything to do with a person's size? I am a tiny scrawny guy, and was even more so then. I rode it in 2004.