TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I dig the area re-theme and the new restaurant/bar.

Wild Mouse coaster is meh, of course for me, but a good addition for families.  I can't wait to see how bad the lines get.

My biggest takeaway:

No more early entry for Gold Pass holders!  Whoohoo!

• Like 2

According to Zamperla's website, their Twister coaster model with 7 cars has a theoretical hourly capacity of 680 pph, which assumes a 47 second load/unload time.  I say this will be a rope drop ride to give it a try next year and I would assume it won't be on FL+ (just basing that assumption on The Fly at Canada's Wonderland and Ricochet at Kings Dominion/Carowinds not being on FL either).  I'm looking forward to riding it and also to a drink or two at the Grand Pavilion in the Lakeview bar.  That alone gets my thumbs up for a new addition!  

I think this is a net positive. I'd take a Wild Mouse, a nice refresh and an upper deck bar with views of the lake over Wicked Twister any day. For me, I'm definitely most excited for the pavillion. That upper deck bar really ticks all the boxes for me.

As for the mouse, I'm almost surprised that it's not CGAs.

• Like 5

I like the boardwalk theme and the idea of the restaurant and bar with views.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the area where Himalaya and Scrambler are now. Not much room there, so it would need to be a fairly small-ish attraction. I'm sure they'll think of something though as they know space is always a premium on the peninsula. 

Would love to see them bring back the double ferris wheel on the boardwalk with a cool lighting package.

I think everything about this addition looks great, I love the concept of adding in nicer dining/bar areas that it seems like Cedar Fair is doing in a lot of their parks. A spot like this overlooking the lake should be a really nice little spot.

One comment about the coaster, I love me a good wild mouse and can't wait to see this new model from Zamperla. I do wonder if they have redesigned the trains from their older/currently operating spinning mouse models on the market, because some of the transitions in this model with those trains would be ugh... not fun lol. 

29 minutes ago, Hilltopper39 said:

One comment about the coaster, I love me a good wild mouse and can't wait to see this new model from Zamperla. I do wonder if they have redesigned the trains from their older/currently operating spinning mouse models on the market, because some of the transitions in this model with those trains would be ugh... not fun lol. 

I'm not holding my breath.  I've yet to meet a Zamperla seat/restraint that was anything but uncomfortable, and that includes their newer stuff like the NebulaZ.

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is that the back half of the park is going to be nearly devoid of flat rides now. There are zero traditional flat rides between the skyride and Spider, save for Super Himalaya, and there is even less if you take the left fork and head up Frontier Trail. Don't get me wrong, I really like this new area and it's going to really jazz up an otherwise terrible part of the park, but they REALLY need to add more attractions toward the back. 

The longer I look at the enhancement, the better it gets. CP - for me - is a multi day experience. And an area, where I can sit down, take a beer, enjoy the day and the lake and which takes me away to boardwalk style envorinment is well appreciated. The fact, that the Wild Mouse is called Wild mouse, but is not some standard model, but CPs approach how a CP wild mouse looks, is a good try. I hope it will be as good as I imagine it.

Personal note: From my last visit in 2017 (before MELT and BBQ) a food enhancement was deeply needed. Is it too much now? I don't know. But I never heard someone mutter about Europa Park having too much restaurants. An there a way more than at CP.

10 minutes ago, BigDipper 80 said:

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is that the back half of the park is going to be nearly devoid of flat rides now. There are zero traditional flat rides between the skyride and Spider, save for Super Himalaya, and there is even less if you take the left fork and head up Frontier Trail. Don't get me wrong, I really like this new area and it's going to really jazz up an otherwise terrible part of the park, but they REALLY need to add more attractions toward the back. 

Um, you know that Scrambler and Matterhorn weren't exactly in the "back half" of the park to begin with?  They were right at the north end of the Skyride, which I would certainly classify as "middle" of the park if not the "front half" if you're dividing the park in two.  You're also completely forgetting about Lake Erie Eagles, Wave Swinger, Skyhawk, and Pipe Scream (and add in Slingshot and Prof. Dilberts Frontier Fling if you want to count up-charges).

35 minutes ago, Pedrinho said:

The longer I look at the enhancement, the better it gets. CP - for me - is a multi day experience. And an area, where I can sit down, take a beer, enjoy the day and the lake and which takes me away to boardwalk style envorinment is well appreciated. The fact, that the Wild Mouse is called Wild mouse, but is not some standard model, but CPs approach how a CP wild mouse looks, is a good try. I hope it will be as good as I imagine it.

Personal note: From my last visit in 2017 (before MELT and BBQ) a food enhancement was deeply needed. Is it too much now? I don't know. But I never heard someone mutter about Europa Park having too much restaurants. An there a way more than at CP.

They've improved their food offerings dramatically, but I have to throw in the caveat that they still have severe staffing shortages that leave many of their smaller stands empty and closed. 

• Thanks 1

Busch Gardens Tampa has (by my count) 2 flat rides that aren't kiddy rides and nobody cares. Cedar Point has somewhere between 15-20. I wouldn't say no to another flat ride, but they're fine in that department. Really they're fine in every department besides indoor rides, non-drenching water rides and food places that don't serve exclusively fried shit or BBQ, though if they want to add more of really anything I'm cool with it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

Busch Gardens Tampa has (by my count) 2 flat rides that aren't kiddy rides and nobody cares. Cedar Point has somewhere between 15-20. I wouldn't say no to another flat ride, but they're fine in that department. Really they're fine in every department besides indoor rides, non-drenching water rides and food places that don't serve exclusively fried shit or BBQ, though if they want to add more of really anything I'm cool with it.

Probably never gonna happen but some sort of Peanuts themed dark ride would really be a great addition. Would add another all ages family ride to the park and an indoor ride since they don't even have a Boo Blasters. 

I read somewhere that with this expansion, it seems they are clearing the area near corkscrew.  Could that be the case they they are gradually getting ready for it's removal and clearing the area so it can house a replacement coaster?

• Confused 1

I firmly believe that Corkscrew will run basically forever.

This has nothing to do with it's historical significance (which is overblown anyway because it's at Cedar Point), I'm positive that they don't actually care about that. I believe this just because there's no reason to remove it from a practicality standpoint. Corkscrew's entire ride path is over midways and and an employee storage and parking area other than the station and first turnaround other than two tiny slivers of track that hug a perimeter fence and a midway. It takes up no room at all. In addition, it has about as low of a staffing requirement as a Cedar Point coaster can have, there's no shortage of spare parts, it's popular enough, it looks great, it never breaks, it can run in almost anything and it probably does way better ridership numbers than it has any right to. I really think the best we can hope for in that spot is a flat ride, restaurant or hopefully a bathroom that's not an absolute disgrace.

I could be wrong, but I really don't see this ride leaving.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

I firmly believe that Corkscrew will run basically forever.

This has nothing to do with it's historical significance (which is overblown anyway because it's at Cedar Point), I'm positive that they don't actually care about that. I believe this just because there's no reason to remove it from a practicality standpoint. Corkscrew's entire ride path is over midways and and an employee storage and parking area other than the station and first turnaround other than two tiny slivers of track that hug a perimeter fence and a midway so it takes up no room at all. In addition, it has about as low of a staffing requirement as a Cedar Point coaster can have, there's no shortage of spare parts, it's popular enough, it looks great, it never breaks, it can run in almost anything and it probably does way better ridership numbers than it has any right to. I really think the best we can hope for in that spot is a flat ride, restaurant or hopefully a bathroom that's not an absolute disgrace.

I could be wrong, but I really don't see this ride leaving.

This.  The area opened up by moving Matterhorn and Scrambler is so minuscule, and Corkscrew's footprint is so narrow, I don't see much of anything fitting in the area.  Now had they also moved the Super Himalaya (which they might as well trash it since they run it slow and forwards only) and Power Tower, you might have a theory there, @jarmor, but as it stands no way.

Since we're spouting off crazy theories for the future literally the day after they just announced their 2023 plans, I personally foresee the rapids ride going for their next major coaster.  It's a huge plot of land in an area that doesn't have any other rides except an up-charge.

• Like 2

I'd love to see them move the Tilt-A-Whirl out of the kiddie area. I think that would look great on the new Boardwalk, or maybe they could move it where the Scrambler or Matterhorn is now.

I always thought that having it in the kiddie area was a bit strange as it's so out of the way that most people don't even realize that the park has one, unless they have kids.

11 minutes ago, Philrad71 said:

I'd love to see them move the Tilt-A-Whirl out of the kiddie area. I think that would look great on the new Boardwalk, or maybe they could move it where the Scrambler or Matterhorn is now.

I always thought that having it in the kiddie area was a bit strange as it's so out of the way that most people don't even realize that the park has one, unless they have kids.

Not gonna lie, you can count me in with those who didn't know they had a Tilt-a-Whirl before your post.  It's kinda like KI's Flyers - hidden in the kiddie area.

I really don’t see why Cedar Point hasn’t capitalized on upping the price of FL+ on days they know it’s going to be bats*** insane. Charge $400 for it. Meet the demand. I’d be really irritated if I spent $150 on FL+ and still waited an hour for SV. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, gardyloo! said:

According to some tweets SV’s fast lane line is an hour while the regular line is two? Is this normal or does the line usually not go over 30 min (except crazy busy 3+ hour regular line) days?

This is normal in my experience.  It all has to do with where the merge is.  Back before the in-queue lockers, the FL wait would be substantially shorter.