Jump to content
  TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RideThroughTime said:

I think Forbidden Frontier covers the remaining Shoot the Rapids space.

Ah that's right. I didn't experience it since the wait time was 90 min + so wasn't sure where it takes place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ricklap77 said:

I am just wondering why they did not sell or relocate Wicket Twister instead of demolishing it!?

I'm sure they tried to sell it, and pretty much any of their parks that would've had room for an impulse already have one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JT325 said:

Haven't been following, do we have an update on Dragster/the injury?

Nope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

I'm sure they tried to sell it, and pretty much any of their parks that would've had room for an impulse already have one.

I find it hard to believe no other independant smaller park wanted it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ricklap77 said:

I find it hard to believe no other independant smaller park wanted it.  

Independent smaller parks are still, mostly, trying to recover from the pandemic closures.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ Don't rides with big LIM launches cause a lot of costs behind the scenes as well that a smaller park would balk at? I swear it was on a travel channel show many years ago and they were showing the massive room housing all the systems and electronics, talking about the effect each ride cycle has on the power grid and the costs behind that too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Garet said:

^ Don't rides with big LIM launches cause a lot of costs behind the scenes as well that a smaller park would balk at? I swear it was on a travel channel show many years ago and they were showing the massive room housing all the systems and electronics, talking about the effect each ride cycle has on the power grid and the costs behind that too.

They do.  It's why Dorney's doesn't use the holding brake and why Chiller at SFGAdv didn't launch at the same time after the first year or so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Garet said:

^ Don't rides with big LIM launches cause a lot of costs behind the scenes as well that a smaller park would balk at? I swear it was on a travel channel show many years ago and they were showing the massive room housing all the systems and electronics, talking about the effect each ride cycle has on the power grid and the costs behind that too.

Its not a LIM launch, but theres this about Hulk:

"In the end a drive tire system was selected, where 230 electrical motors power a set of tires that pinch the train's underside to provide propulsion.[2][14] As this system required eight megawatts of power to propel each train, the park built several customized motor generator sets with large flywheels to reduce the risk of browning-out the local energy grid with every launch."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ I think this is why I love wooden coasters. Still a design-and-build, right? And mainly based on gravity, yes? No?

I do know tech and computer stuff are now more involved with woodies, as much as steels.

Still - all this stuff about prepulsion, braking, etc. etc... Gives me a headache, lol.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Nrthwnd said:

^ I think this is why I love wooden coasters. Still a design-and-build, right? And mainly based on gravity, yes? No?

I do know tech and computer stuff are now more involved with woodies, as much as steels.

Still - all this stuff about prepulsion, braking, etc. etc... Gives me a headache, lol.

Hi. . . 😆

spacer.png

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/16/2022 at 5:12 PM, ricklap77 said:

I find it hard to believe no other independant smaller park wanted it.  

12 hours ago, ricklap77 said:

Yes I think those impulse LIM coasters are not the best fit for small parks (cost and maintenance wise).

pick-one-rebecca-mader.gif.266a80d603fb149aacf2f30e8cd8ac2c.gif

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I live out West and it looks like we will be able to swing a Cedar Point visit in mid-June.  I haven't been there since 2001, so things have obviously changed significantly.  I am seeking out just a few recommendations for our visit as I would potentially like to book a package at Hotel Breakers.  Here are the specifics:

  • we may only be there one day (Thursday, June 16th), but there is an outside chance it could be 2 days
  • given the fact that we are only there one day, and it is open from 10am - 8pm (Thurs), do you recommend one of the Fast Lane options?
  • If the answer above is "yes", could we pull off regular Fast Lane and stand in longer standby lines for the Big 5 (or however many are in FL+) or are standby lines outrageously long for them (no matter the day/month, etc)
  • If we stay at Hotel Breakers and get "early entry" privileges, what rides does that entail, and is it worth it, esp. if we are only there one day?

Thanks in advance.  I know the pricing for FL hasn't solidified, but I may try and get a rez at the Hotel soon.  I'm assuming I could add that in later if necessary.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, toughmudder said:

Hey all, I love out West and it looks like we will be able to swing a Cedar Point visit in mid-June.  I haven't been there since 2001, so things have obviously changed significantly.  I am seeking out just a few recommendations for our visit as I would potentially like to book a package at Hotel Breakers.  Here are the specifics:

  • we may only be there one day (Thursday, June 16th), but there is an outside chance it could be 2 days
  • given the fact that we are only there one day, and it is open from 10am - 8pm (Thurs), do you recommend one of the Fast Lane options?
  • If the answer above is "yes", could we pull off regular Fast Lane and stand in longer standby lines for the Big 5 (or however many are in FL+) or are standby lines outrageously long for them (no matter the day/month, etc)
  • If we stay at Hotel Breakers and get "early entry" privileges, what rides does that entail, and is it worth it, esp. if we are only there one day?

Thanks in advance.  I know the pricing for FL hasn't solidified, but I may try and get a rez at the Hotel soon.  I'm assuming I could add that in later if necessary.

I did a trip to Cedar Point last June and here are my thoughts:

  • Definitely buy Fast Lane Plus for the day you are there.  We were able to ride SteVe 4 times in just over an hour with FL+, where it would've taken us the same time to ride it once in the regular line.
  • I would stay at Cedar Point Express, it's cheaper than Breakers and you still get the 1 hour early entry.  We rode Valravn, MF, and Maverick during the early entry, so it was definitely worth it.  (Note that the FL lines don't open until regular park hours).  By the time we got off Maverick, the FL line was open and we jumped back in line for about a 10 minute wait.
  • If they are doing a food festival when you are there, take advantage of that.  We were there during the Frontier Festival and there were hardly any lines at the food festival booths.  We bought 2 tasting cards and just grabbed something quick at the booths whenever we were hungry.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can buy FL any time. Most likely even after you get to the park. However, I would suggest getting them as soon as they go on sale. They will not get cheaper. Highly likely they will go up in price between initial on sale and the day you are there. Season FL jumped at many parks over the winter in response to sales..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, toughmudder said:

Hey all, I live out West and it looks like we will be able to swing a Cedar Point visit in mid-June.  I haven't been there since 2001, so things have obviously changed significantly.  I am seeking out just a few recommendations for our visit as I would potentially like to book a package at Hotel Breakers.  Here are the specifics:

  • we may only be there one day (Thursday, June 16th), but there is an outside chance it could be 2 days
  • given the fact that we are only there one day, and it is open from 10am - 8pm (Thurs), do you recommend one of the Fast Lane options?
  • If the answer above is "yes", could we pull off regular Fast Lane and stand in longer standby lines for the Big 5 (or however many are in FL+) or are standby lines outrageously long for them (no matter the day/month, etc)
  • If we stay at Hotel Breakers and get "early entry" privileges, what rides does that entail, and is it worth it, esp. if we are only there one day?

Thanks in advance.  I know the pricing for FL hasn't solidified, but I may try and get a rez at the Hotel soon.  I'm assuming I could add that in later if necessary.

Without a doubt do the FL+, it is worth every penny. Also, imho for such a short stay I would stay at the Breakers, there is nothing like that experience and you will still waste time and have to get going extra early if staying at Express versus walking 5 min to the resort entry. However, the caveats to that are 1) If staying at the Breakers you better book now, it is already filling up for June 2) If you can only afford FL+ or Breakers then do FL+.

Early entry rides vary some, kind of two strategies to that.......Gatekeeper and usually Valravn are almost always on early entry. That's because they are at entry points and it's cool optics to have riders on them whooping it up as people enter the park. They are also rides that the GP hits early since they are near afore mentioned entry points. So either do those and then as many of the open rides as you can to get them in before long lines OR use a lot of that time to line up at  SV, TTD, MF or Mav and be first in line when they open. I will point out if you get the FL+ then you really don't have to worry about strategy or rushing in or doing the running of the coaster bulls. In that case you just use early entry to do (or line up for) anything that is not on FL+ or is one time use only.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/116-terms-of-service-please-read/