TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I have to say how much I love that they teased the steepness (and possible height) of the lift but seem to be leaving it for last/later in the process. Can't wait to see how tall/steep that puppy is gonna be. But yeah this thing looks more insane with each photo.

Can someone let me know when Breakers starts taking reservations for 2018?

Where on earth is the track going to go next???

Good lord... I've got nothing. This thing is bonkers.

The section it is approaching was the long, slow turn under the lift. The one that made that amazing screeching sound. I can only imagine that this direction change will be rather more abrupt.

Wave turn out side the structure that disappears into the structure?

We're talking about the ledgers under that. Look at the steel beams that will frame the track beneath that. There's a right-banked upward bit that isn't clear how/where it'll continue

A friend is at the park today and took this photo. I hadn't yet caught up on the thread here and when I saw this photo I was like, "Holy crap, what is that?!"

^WHAAAAAAT?! My head just exploded. That angle shows the latest progress really well. I'll be there in 15 days to see it for myself. This deserves reposting as well because it's really the most accurate for the whole NMS project:

PleasureSW_LRG.png

*Special thanks to Boldikus who explained how to post someone's picture in a quoted reply.

^^That's what I'm talking about, the ledger about 1/4 of the way up the structure banking to the right, I don't have a clue what it's going to do, just a guess.

I have wondered how they're going to fish the track pieces through/into the structure if the ride follows roughly the same path as the original. I know they've done it before but Mean Streak's structure for some reason looks so much denser than Texas Giant and Wicked Cyclone for whatever reason. I guess if they can install track in Rattler's rock tunnel they can do it anywhere.

^^That's what I'm talking about, the ledger about 1/4 of the way up the structure banking to the right, I don't have a clue what it's going to do, just a guess.

I have wondered how they're going to fish the track pieces through/into the structure if the ride follows roughly the same path as the original. I know they've done it before but Mean Streak's structure for some reason looks so much denser than Texas Giant and Wicked Cyclone for whatever reason. I guess if they can install track in Rattler's rock tunnel they can do it anywhere.

Oh right, gotcha now! Yeah, that's def a possibility. I, too, am curious if they're going to feed it through the structure (like ending bits of Wicked Cyclone), but Mean Streak's structure just seems so dense, like you said. I'm also curious if they will continue to not deviate from the original overhead path of Mean Streak. So far they've framed around 70% of Mean Streak's old layout without deviation (VERY rare for these IBox RMCs to not change path).

Overall I think it's even more exciting for new pictures to surface without knowing the layout at all (vs an announcement already)! This element of surprise is keeping us continuously intrigued! Everything is being slowly revealed, and it's much weirder/cooler than I would've predicted (It's like watching Twin Peaks )

So when I was looking at that newest picture from CP Food Blog, I started thinking. What if they put a small dive loop right there and head back the same direction? Not sure if that would happen, but that's the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the banking of those ledgers.

That first picture is the only truely clear photo I've seen where it makes it obvious how the element will enter and exit without studying the ledgers (partly due to track now being there but mostly because of the resolution, lighting, and color, and zoom). It's a lot more clear when the photo is better.

The ledgers descending from the double up aren't new but the ones going up the turn are new since last weekend. Did anyone see how they left some structure around the descent from the double down? Why? Maybe that's going to be a headchooper moment?

One of the things I have been most excited to see is what they will do with the final third of the layout where the track goes under the structure for one last lap around. One of the first things RMC did to Mean Streak was cleanly cut off the old supports for the turn underneath the one that went over the lift. You would never have known it existed because of how cleanly they cut those supports off -- you'd think they would've already built/cut out supports for the upcoming section when they worked on the turn over the lift. Soon, we'll see them cut into or add onto their own work.

I'm not calling this second inversion a stall - it's way to quick to be a stall. I don't define a stall by the way it enters or exits but by whether or not it provides a sustained moment of airtime or hang time. This element is upside-down for a matter of two ledgers...

Has anyone noticed yet that this element is essentially an EXACT copy of Maverick's stengel dive? It even has the same turn leading into it. Just add some banking and it would be the exact same element.

Hence why I'm calling this element a Stengel dive.

IMG_3907.JPG.0b32aac33d80ef7937924c50fdd9158c.JPG

Has anyone noticed yet that this element is essentially an EXACT copy of Maverick's stengel dive?

I don't know, from what I can tell from the pics, it looks like this new element on RMC mean steak inverts more fully (all the way to vertical) than maverick's stengel dive.

They're perhaps similar, but I wouldn't use the phrase "EXACT copy".

C__bpG0UwAAKxcN.jpg

Also, take a look at the new ledgers in the bottom middle of this picture (banked upward right) - Where on earth is the track going to go next???

Sooo, this may not be possible, but putting my crazy hat on....since this ride already looks bonkers....

Focus in on that wave turn before the stall through the lift. The one that looks to be 90 degrees. Now look right above at those long upper ledger pieces. Do you think it might possibly bank up and quickly cut back left to travel over the top of the same ledgers that already support the wave turn?? Like a warped pass-by moment? Again, might not even be feasible, just thinking out loud....

What are your thoughts?? Or do you think it might knife right through the structure next??

Man, one thing's for sure....it feels like RMC is pretty much emptying their entire playbook/greatest hits all over this glorious renovation!!

^First, all wave turns have those horizontal ledgers like that (look at Joker's Breaking Wave). Second, I don't think there would be enough speed to have any RMC intensity if it did make it back to that height.

In other RMC Mean Streak news, while I was studying this picture and this picture, I noticed the ledgers framing the drop off the MCBR in the distance. It seems to be a flat left turn that straightens out into a surprisingly steep un-banked drop. It bottoms out with a tight headchopper left turn into the double up we've all seen. There should be crazy airtime down this drop!!

Here are shitty paint renderings of how the track will lay on the ledgers framing this drop:

Hey guys, does one have to be in the park to see actual ride wait times on the CP mobile app?

Just curious because I am looking at the webcam currently and do not see TTD making any runs and then of course tried to see the ride status on mobile app, but no go there. One would think there would be a TTD "status" somewhere online since they have had issues with this one since it's inception in 2003.

Yes, you do have to be in the park to see wait times on the mobile app. There are a few websites (though not 100% reliable) that pull this data from the app though. The best are CoasterQueue and Queue-Times.

There are apps that put you into developer mode so you can set your GPS location.

Beyond stoked, especially given this thing may be realistically over 200 feet tall, (thank goodness for people with the time and care to make these estimates). I am curious if they will keep the MCBR in and if so, hopefully won't have too much bite and scrub off lots of the speed

I think we are definitely looking at a third lap here, and so happy that they're essentially staying completely true to the original overhead layout! Mean Streak always had such an interesting layout, it was just executed poorly. Super pumped and hopeful that the third lap twists and flips riders through a dense forest of lumber just how the original ride did!

I think we are definitely looking at a third lap here, and so happy that they're essentially staying completely true to the original overhead layout! Mean Streak always had such an interesting layout, it was just executed poorly.

Yeah, I've heard many people talk about mean streak's "lame" layout over the years, but the layout was never the problem with the ride. The layout was/is solid, the problem was that the ride became a series of interconnected ramps after the 2nd drop instead of real deal roller coaster drops.

Edited by Steely Dan

Are you allowed to say straight out the S word on TPR? I thought it was either sh!t for an exclamation or s**t for a statement. There are some small people on this page, 13 and stuff, so if it is allowed or not, I would not do it. Just out of interest though, can you say it?