Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 576: The Alton Towers Dungeon teased for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Alton Towers Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:56 am

The coaster looks fun. I have very little interest in Merlin's bullsh*t marketing ploys. Hopefully people don't focus too much on them and they just focus on the coaster itself so they don't set themselves up for disappointment.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:13 am

My thought after seeing the announcement was that the park ordered the world's most expensive flamethrowers.

I agree it should be a solid ride, but another Thirteen esque marketing campaign for a ride like this is overkill.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Disney California Adventure & Disneyland

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby RCT3Bross » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 am

thedazza wrote:
Nrthwnd wrote:^ One is hoping that the FIRE is (for the most part) REAL. :lover:

They are saying that it is "The world's first rollercoaster experience fusing wood and fire" (pretty sure Wodan and Apocalypse are also Woodies that have fire effects though) so it will be real.

Joris en de Draak has basically a dragon that spits fire every few minutes, and I wouldn't be surprised if that there are more woodies. The only difference that they can make is by having the thing burn all the time instead of a burst of flames every now and then like the previous named all have. I wonder what environment effect that has.

At Alton Towers Marketing (especially the SW series) I always love them. Their actually really fun, I never been to the park but still I can see these rides aren't really that worthy of that level of Marketing. Either way I really want to see this ride in action and see how they "Fuse" wood and fire in a unique way or not.
Roller Coaster Traveler 3 Bross Parks of 2018: Efteling, Phantasialand, Walibi Holland, Skyline park, Europa Park, Walibi Belgium, Toverland, Thorpe Park, Alton Towers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
2018 Rides: Fenix (Toverland), Tiki Waka (Walibi Belgium), Wicker Man (Alton Towers), Icon (Blackpool Pleasure Beach).

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:58 am

coasterbill wrote:The coaster looks fun. I have very little interest in Merlin's bullsh*t marketing ploys. Hopefully people don't focus too much on them and they just focus on the coaster itself so they don't set themselves up for disappointment.

:nina:
This x1000
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Postby JordyC » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Here is a new video from Alton Towers about Wicker Man and how they came up with the idea for the ride. In the video it is mentioned that "the huge theming feature, which is the Wicker Man himself, will burst into flames as you go through him".

Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Shambhala - PortAventura 4. Taron - Phantasialand 5. Helix - Liseberg 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Silver Star - Europa-Park

Coasters: 232 || Parks: 44

Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Dombot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:06 pm

^ Duuuuude... :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :lover: :lover: :lover:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:56 pm

WICKER MAN ANNOUNCED AS LATEST GROUNDBREAKING ROLLERCOASTER EXPERIENCE FROM ALTON TOWERS RESORT

WICKER MAN KEY VISUAL (NEW FOR 2018) (LANDSCAPE A3).jpg

Following years in development, work is nearly complete on the globally unique rollercoaster experience fusing wood and fire – due to open in
Spring 2018
  • Wicker Man is the world’s first rollercoaster experience fusing wood and fire -incorporating a giant, flaming Wicker Man who stands six-stories high
  • Wooden track will race through the flaming structure of the Wicker Man three times
  • Wicker Man is the UK’s first new wooden rollercoaster experience in 21 years, reconnecting riders with the primal essence of rollercoasters

8th January 2018: Alton Towers Resort has announced its latest ground-breaking thrill attraction set to open in Spring 2018 – Wicker Man.
Wicker Man is the UK’s first new wooden rollercoaster experience in 21 years and comes with a globally unique twist – bringing together wood and fire for the very first time. A Wicker Man structure standing at 57.57ft (17.55m) tall – the height of a six-storey building – will dominate the very centre of Alton Towers Resort, appearing to burst into flames as the wooden track races three separate times through the structure.

The project, previously known as ‘SW8’*, is the latest in a series of mould-breaking ride launches from the Staffordshire theme park that have helped define the industry. A world class team of experts continue to work on the new attraction, led by Great Coasters International, the world’s leading creators of wooden rollercoasters. The safety of guests has been paramount in the design and build of Wicker Man, incorporating the latest in proven safety technology, rigorous testing and hundreds of training hours for ride operators.

Bradley Wynne, Creative Lead at Alton Towers Resort commented: “We are delighted to finally be announcing Wicker Man as the latest ground-breaking thrill attraction from Alton Towers Resort for 2018. Guests will be ‘chosen’ to take part in a celebratory ‘rite of passage’ as they race through the flaming Wicker Man. “We hope visitors will be blown away by Wicker Man’s breath-taking scale whilst the primal essence of the wooden coaster and astonishing effects will leave them delighted, exhilarated and eager to ride again.”

Visitors to Alton Towers Resort in 2018 will embark on a multi-sensory rite of passage, in which they’ll be drawn into the mysterious world of The Beornen, a shadowy group living in the woods surrounding the theme park.

The first publicity pictures hinting at the nature of the forthcoming attraction include artwork created by globally-celebrated illustrator Kyle Lambert – known across the world as the artist behind the imagery for award-winning show Stranger Things, alongside other Hollywood movie work including Jurassic Park, Super 8 and Jumanji.

Andy Hine MBE, Chairman of the Roller Coaster Club of Great Britain commented on the announcement saying: “We’ve been hoping that Alton Towers would invest in a wooden coaster for a long time, and we’re so pleased it’s finally coming with Wicker Man. GCI are known for building really
exciting, smooth coasters, and this will be a great complement to the ‘Big Six’ steel rides already at the park. It’s a big investment which is great for thrill-seekers everywhere, and I for one can’t wait to ride it.”

And new for 2018, guests can purchase their Alton Towers 2018 Season Pass for just £55 by visiting altontowers.com meaning customers can pay for a day, and come back all year. (Exclusions apply. Full terms and conditions can be found online.)

Keep up to date on the latest Wicker Man details by visiting altontowers.com/wickerman or searching #WickerManRide across social media.

Key Information
  • Wicker Man is the latest ground-breaking rollercoaster experience from Alton Towers Resort
  • The world’s first rollercoaster experience fusing wood and fire
  • Due to launch at the Staffordshire theme park in Spring 2018
  • The UK’s first new wooden coaster experience in 21 years, reconnecting riders with the primal essence of rollercoasters
  • Riders must be at least 1.2m tall, the track is 2,028 ft. (618m) long
  • Giant, flaming Wicker Man structure stands at six-storeys high (57.57ft / 17.55m)
  • Wicker Man has been in development for more than four years
  • World-class team constructing the ride lead by Great Coasters International, the world’s leading creators of wooden rollercoasters
  • Alton Towers Resort has invested £16m into the creation of Wicker Man
  • Launched with teaser artwork created by world-famous illustrator Kyle Lambert
  • The latest in proven safety technology has been used, and rigorous testing is now taking place before launch
  • Ride operating team will undertake over 100 hours of training each between now and the opening of Wicker Man so guests know that they are in safe hands and can ride in complete confidence
  • By launch, more than 1,000 people will have worked on the unique project, the majority coming from the local area
CCLondonEye1.jpg
KYLE LAMBERT - WICKER MAN (PORTRAIT).jpg
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:12 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Fake News.

jedimaster1227 wrote:
WICKER MAN ANNOUNCED AS LATEST GROUNDBREAKING ROLLERCOASTER EXPERIENCE FROM ALTON TOWERS RESORT
[*]Wicker Man is the world’s first rollercoaster experience fusing wood and fire -incorporating a giant, flaming Wicker Man who stands six-stories high

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Wicker Man is the world’s first rollercoaster experience fusing wood and fire

LOL! It's not even the first "GCI fusing wood and fire" together! So dumb...
Last edited by robbalvey on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:11 pm.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Oh, but Robb, those are not fused together! They are just regular Fire FX. :lmao:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!