TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like an overreaction. I assume the waterguns and waterfalls are still turned off? And I also assume there are no longer extra people supervising the ride (that's the kind of thing I can't imagine Alton Towers sticking with)?

^In a normal situation this would be an overreaction, but you've got to think that Merlin/Alton have to keep a perfect safety record after The Smiler accident in order to gain a lot of the public's trust, so this makes sense after what happened at Drayton. I guess they're trying to make sure that there's no possibility of a serious incident happening on park at all again, hence why a lot of fences around their rides have also been made higher or new ones added and quite a lot of safety related changes made.

^In a normal situation this would be an overreaction, but you've got to think that Merlin/Alton have to keep a perfect safety record after The Smiler accident in order to gain a lot of the public's trust, so this makes sense after what happened at Drayton. I guess they're trying to make sure that there's no possibility of a serious incident happening on park at all again, hence why a lot of fences around their rides have also been made higher or new ones added and quite a lot of safety related changes made.

Anytime you try to make something more idiot proof, the world creates a bigger idiot.

Anytime you try to make something more idiot proof, the world creates a bigger idiot.

giphy.gif.abd063211bfdf9d4cbe4809954dbd647.gif

The issue with requiring someone aged 18 and over to ride the rapids, assumes that there is a magical force that makes people sensible and responsible on their 18th birthday, which is blatantly not the case.

To me this seems like more of a case of limiting liability. The Drayton incident took place on a boat that had no adults on, so ensuring that there is an adult on every boat, would take some of the focus off the park in the instance of a similar incident occurring. If some one ignores the safety rules and stands up and falls in, it's much easier to protect the park if there was a 'responsible' adult with them at the time, who should be stopping them from being stupid.

Those images really show the gradient changes on the lift hill/launch. I've never seen that before on a coaster so its very interesting to see what it will be for...

It is straight, it's just an optical illusion because the top bits of wood are just temporary bracing until they put the track in. I've illustrated this below with a pink line showing where the track will be.

straight.png.49b324ab714ae5b15a7d34ccad4e5afe.png

The plans definitely show the gradient change, and also indicate a form of launch lift to mitigate chain lift noise. The change in elevation is to allow room for the brake run to pass underneath the lift You can see that if you continued the shallow gradient for the full lift, the track would not meet the track that exits from beneath the station building.

This video is a recreation of the plans that were submitted to Staffordshire Moorlands Council, and any theme / hidden elements aside, is a good indication of what we will get! There is a possibility that the plans hid some inversions , similar to the submitted plans for The Smiler featuring only 8 inversions, but this remains to be seen...

Untitled-1.jpg.6e78ea4f0bc46722dc7813eb0ca2d45d.jpg

My pink line (and the plans for the ride) disagree!

• 2 weeks later...