TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I might be in the minority, but I found the launch on Lightning Rod to be a big nothing.

the rest of the ride is great tho, once you crest that lift hill. . . so I have ZERO issue with this change.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bert425 said:

I might be in the minority, but I found the launch on Lightning Rod to be a big nothing.

I'm with Bert on this.  It doesn't fling you over the top (like Maverick, for example), so what's the point?

Now if they replace the rest of the topper track with I-box, it might make it into one of my top-lists.

Yeah ever since it started cresting the top at a lift hill's pace, the launch really doesn't seem to be as "necessary" other than the excitement of launching up the hill and the gimmick.

As someone who visited Dollywood for the first time this year and found LRod closed all day and not a soul in sight, I am 100% for this change. I also love Dollywood's transparency about this. Can't wait to visit again next year!

• Like 2

My only experience with the ride was in the fall of 2016, and it was a blast back then. That said, with how it's been modified since then, and considering the significant downtime, a nice high-speed cable lift will certainly suffice. Anything to get it more reliable. 

New trains is an interesting wrinkle to this story, I'm assuming it's for the conversion from the LIM launch to a chain drive and the existing trains can't be salvaged or converted but should be interesting see if these are just the same RMC trains or if there's something new in the works.

Isn't SFFT getting new trains for Wonder Woman? I don't remember why, but with that and the new trains for their wild mouse model maybe there will be soem changes to the "new" standard trains from RMC.

I really hope this works.   I've wanted to go the park for a long time but I've been holding off because I want it to be the best it can be.  And yes I know it's a great park LR or not but being there and not riding it, I know myself enough that it would bother me the entire time.  Not least because it'd be a serious financial outlay for us so a return trip would not be guaranteed.

We were planning on going to the park next year. Eve will hit the 39" marker easily by then.

But, she now has a fear of roller coasters, log flumes, and anything too exciting. It all went to shit when I coaxed her into going on two roller skaters.

Looks like we're going to the beach next year...

• 4 months later...

Question - I'm planning a trip to Dollywood in September this year, and I'm wondering if they usually keep most of their rides running during the weekdays in September, or are they like Six Flags parks where half the rollercoasters are going to be closed. Does anyone know? I have the option of going there on the weekend too, but I'm leaning towards a Monday or Tuesday. Probably planning the last weekend in September. Thanks!

3 hours ago, throatytoast said:

Question - I'm planning a trip to Dollywood in September this year, and I'm wondering if they usually keep most of their rides running during the weekdays in September, or are they like Six Flags parks where half the rollercoasters are going to be closed. Does anyone know? I have the option of going there on the weekend too, but I'm leaning towards a Monday or Tuesday. Probably planning the last weekend in September. Thanks!

Check the calendar for the days they are open. They have a few closed days the first week of September.
The rest of September and October is Harvest Festival.
https://hfe.widen.net/s/hm2pjhbzhb/24dw_opcal_festivals

Everything runs every operating day, whether permitting, from March to Jan.
https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Rides/Ride-Temperature-Guideline

Of course rides can have down time, and getting parts can take days/weeks.
And water rides, like Daredevil Falls and Smoky Mountain River Rampage, and are closed when it's too cold, but not an issue in September.

On 2/17/2024 at 11:34 AM, throatytoast said:

I'm pretty sure most of the rides are open throughout every operating day.

• 3 weeks later...

The good news: Lightning Rod 3.0 has been running all day.  Much of it on 2 trains. 

Bad news: there's really nothing high speed about the chain lift.  It's a bit depressing going up if you're familiar with the 1.0 and 2.0 version.

I didn't see any new track.  Also, when cresting the lift and 2nd little hill, there's now a huge building behind the first wave turn type section straight ahead.  It's fairly big and just takes away more of the trees and nature around the park.

I'm satisfied that one day I will have lower my expectations for the ride experience instead of lowering my expectations for being able to ride it at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2024 at 2:42 PM, tndank said:

The good news: Lightning Rod 3.0 has been running all day.  Much of it on 2 trains. 

Bad news: there's really nothing high speed about the chain lift.  It's a bit depressing going up if you're familiar with the 1.0 and 2.0 version.

I didn't see any new track.  Also, when cresting the lift and 2nd little hill, there's now a huge building behind the first wave turn type section straight ahead.  It's fairly big and just takes away more of the trees and nature around the park.

I believe that building is the new administration headquarters. Unless they have popped something up since last summer. In June we did a behind the scenes for LR and that was under construction right in that location.

I get that everyone is a bummed about the non-launch lift hill; but I totally get the park's perspective. They needed a much more reliable ride and were just done messing with the launch. Most GP won't care.

Thanks for the info.  I still had not heard what that building was for.

I agree on the lift hill.  People were still having a blast on it.  People still loved it.  Guy I rode with had never been on it and loved it.  I heard lots of people around the park talking about how good it was.  

• Like 1

I saw a side by side of 2016 and 2024 Lightning Rod that was synced up at the exact same time after the crest of the first hill; I have to say it's extremely neutered.  I'm sure they will take uptime and reliability over the guest frustration and guessing game of open/closed each day, but that thing is definitely a shell of it's original form.  After watching the official TPR on and off-ride, you can tell that thing isn't as whippy and out of control as it's v1.  As someone who rode in 2016 and then 2020, I noticed a HUGE difference in pacing and a slower launch.  I can't imagine how clipped it must feel now. 

I'm certainly not one to cause problems or throw shade, but I'm a bit shocked and disappointed Rob continuously replied to comments on his POV YouTube that "I couldn't tell one bit of difference".  I'm not sure if that is genuine, or if he was wanting to help the PR train with Dollywood....but it's sad to see videos of the old vs new with this coaster.  That quad down in 2016 was literally absolute chaos and insanity.  If you look at POVs from this year, that thing is crawling over that first return up and over to start the quad down.  But, again, I'm sure Dollywood is happy their big investment has more uptime.  I just wish people would admit to the glaring difference in pacing and how it runs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TrippinBillie said:

I saw a side by side of 2016 and 2024 Lightning Rod that was synced up at the exact same time after the crest of the first hill; I have to say it's extremely neutered.  I'm sure they will take uptime and reliability over the guest frustration and guessing game of open/closed each day, but that thing is definitely a shell of it's original form.  After watching the official TPR on and off-ride, you can tell that thing isn't as whippy and out of control as it's v1.  As someone who rode in 2016 and then 2020, I noticed a HUGE difference in pacing and a slower launch.  I can't imagine how clipped it must feel now. 

I'm certainly not one to cause problems or throw shade, but I'm a bit shocked and disappointed Rob continuously replied to comments on his POV YouTube that "I couldn't tell one bit of difference".  I'm not sure if that is genuine, or if he was wanting to help the PR train with Dollywood....but it's sad to see videos of the old vs new with this coaster.  That quad down in 2016 was literally absolute chaos and insanity.  If you look at POVs from this year, that thing is crawling over that first return up and over to start the quad down.  But, again, I'm sure Dollywood is happy their big investment has more uptime.  I just wish people would admit to the glaring difference in pacing and how it runs.

I have a piece of friendly advice. Go to Dollywood, ride it. and decide for yourself. 

Another piece of friendly advice: Saying "I'm certainly not one to cause problems or throw shade" is just a signal that you plan to do exactly that. If Robb said he "couldn't tell one bit of difference," he's giving you his true opinion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cfc said:

I have a piece of friendly advice. Go to Dollywood, ride it. and decide for yourself. 

Another piece of friendly advice: Saying "I'm certainly not one to cause problems or throw shade" is just a signal that you plan to do exactly that. If Robb said he "couldn't tell one bit of difference," he's giving you his true opinion.

I rode the first 2 iterations and noticed a significant difference with the lowered launch speeds.  Now, with the chain, I can imagine it's slower - by literal physics going over the first top hat.  I've heard from other friends and enthusiasts that it's a shell of itself from old, with respect to intensity and ride experience.  

With respect to your second point, your "signals" are CLEARLY off.  I'm never one to purposely cause problems - nor do I intend to be negative.  I just find it odd that he went through several comments to go out of the way painting it like it's LR from 2016.  It wasn't a personal attack, at all.  Again, this is a DISCUSSION forum.  Not all opinions have to align, correct?

I first rode this at the end of 2022. 

the launch slowed to almost a stop at the top of the lift.   It was underwhelming. 

there was NO "pop of air" at the top of the lift hill - and anyone saying there was, and the ride is now "neutered" is simply not telling the truth.

the ride is EXACTLY the same after the 1st hill, no difference at all.

I'm not taking the time to find it, but I saw a side by side POV somewhere where LR was running at nearly the exact same speed pre-launch. But, I'd be willing to trust the word of a guy who pretty much rides roller coasters for a living over someone watching YouTube. 🤷‍♂️

I'm all for the consumer over the corporation, but damn. I'm sure you'll get a few ten-year-olds boasting about how the ride "sucks" now, despite riding it... Even with the outliers, in a couple years no one will care anymore. A large portion of guests will never know it had a launch. I bet they will love it over a "ride's closed" sign.

RMC and DW rolled the dice on LR and they lost. Better choices could have been made, maybe. Regardless, I'll just be happy to know if I ever go back to DW again I will actually be able to ride LR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prozach626 said:

I bet they will love it over a "ride's closed" sign

Needs to be restated x1000 times, TBH. Maybe get a skywriter to circle above the park on clear days. I'm one of the "lucky" ones who got to experience this back in 2016, but I'm much more excited this coaster can actually manage some semblance of a normal operating cycle now.

• Like 2