TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

9 hours ago, Shavethewhales2 said:

Man, what could have been. The little landscaped fly though looks nice. You know they originally planned for a lot more rockwork, especially around the end of the ride where there were two "mountains" on the original plans. The lack of any sort of vegetation around most of it is just depressing though. I'd say I hope they come back and finish the theming and landscaping, but... you just don't know with DW anymore. I'm sure they'll eventually plant some trees somewhere. 

I wouldn’t (unfortunately) hold my breath. It’s a way different park than just a few years ago.  And,  like Disney, the crowds that keep coming WITHOUT the level of detail they used to be at gives them little incentive to operate otherwise. The little “mountain” has no relevance to the typography at all. It’s like “we need a ‘mountain’ here for the ride to go through. So they plopped down a little waterfall, but it has no context other than that. They tout their “storytelling” but this is just a random plot point that exists for no other reason other than to be there. 

21 hours ago, southpuddle said:

Yeah I’m hoping about 45,000 trees are going to be planted around the ride to make it feel less like Big Bear Wide Open Field. 

Hopefully they can call whoever Universal used to sprout the Forbidden Forest after Dragon Challenge was scrapped. 

Rock work and theming aside, I’m not really getting the “mountain” part of the theme. It’s the flattest part of the park. I hope the ride length and capacity is enough to make this a success for them.

Still looks like quite a bit of work to go and they have promised it for CoasterCon in late June. Also, the schedule is only showing one ert session for LR, I'm assuming that's a combo of the maintenance team needing extra time each day and hedging their bets in case it goes down. Will be curious to see how it looks by then, I'm guessing operational but still pretty raw.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:07 PM, IzzyB said:

I asked the ride operator about this and they said it is complex and not completely going away.  So not sure if they changed it and it is going away for good or if they are doing something else.

I went opening day and talked to a manager about this and they said it was removed. The reason they gave was people were breaking the rules , they were going through the single rider line and then inside of riding with the person they were assigned they would wait for other members of their party in the single rider line to come up to the station and ride with them. Seems like a couple of bad apples have ruined this for everyone.  I'm sure they can revisit in the future but for now it doesn't seem like it is an option. 

Been down since last Wed or Thurs. 

Dollywood's excuse for removing the LR single rider above is weak. If they didn't run the line so poorly there wouldn't have been a problem. The way they have the grouper a floor down with no control of the actual lines is just dumb. And yet they have been doing it for a year+ now. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, tndank said:

Been down since last Wed or Thurs. 

Dollywood's excuse for removing the LR single rider above is weak. If they didn't run the line so poorly there wouldn't have been a problem. The way they have the grouper a floor down with no control of the actual lines is just dumb. And yet they have been doing for a year now. 

Yeah when we were there a few years ago that made absolutely no sense to me, just move up one flight of stairs to the top floor and group from there, where you can actually see the station and the train. Several time train went out with empty seats because the grouper 1 floor down had no idea they hadn't sent enough people up to fill a train, it made no sense at all.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 10:31 PM, tndank said:

Unfortunately I haven't seen a poster yet.  I'll post one if I see it.  I wont be back at the park for a couple weeks.  

See or hear more on this?

I'm hearing from others that new signs haven't been posted and it was just a few new employees misunderstanding the rules, particularly on LR.

On 4/12/2023 at 2:12 PM, Hilltopper39 said:

Several time train went out with empty seats because the grouper 1 floor down had no idea they hadn't sent enough people up to fill a train, it made no sense at all.

Sounds like people not going where assigned more than the grouper making a mistake/miscounting.

But that goes back to my funding it less than useful. They didn't try to fill the trains. Group of 3 goes up and they never ask for/send a single to fill the seat (I've seen similar happen at other parks too).

• Like 1

Going to DW in early June, hope it's running then (I would have to assume it will be?) well erm...."running" is generous guess I should say, open lol 

I'm taking a limited park year this season, probably doing 3 (4 at tops) so really hoping Lighting Rod is running. 

On 4/16/2023 at 10:21 AM, thrillseeker4552 said:

Bummed to hear that Lightning Rod has been closed. I'm going for my first ever visit this Friday. Fingers crossed...

Update: it was closed (on Friday 4/21). Not even a single test run all day. Just maintenance guys all over the lift/launch catwalks and station/brake catwalks.

With that being said, aside from LRod's closure, I had an amazing visit. I could not have asked for better weather (sunny, partly cloudy, mid-high 70s all day). All coasters had 2+ train operations with speedy dispatches. I was also pleased to see Drop Line open. I love drop towers and this one was really great.

My biggest highlight was Thunderhead. I was expecting another "medium" thrill GCI but it was amazing. It was my favorite ride in the park and is probably my favorite GCI too. It runs like a dream, has great pacing, good layout, and I just had a blast on it. Props to Dollywood for keeping it in great shape even though it's 19 years old (not sure if it had recent track work?). I would also say Mystery Mine exceeded my expectations. I never rode it before the modifications but I really like the ride. It's awkward and weird but that's sorta why I love it. I didn't find it that rough at all.

Tennessee Tornado was another favorite. Up there with Viper at SFMM for my favorite Arrow looper. FireChaser had more kick than I expected. Wild Eagle was exactly what I thought, kinda "meh" for a wing coaster but the views are wonderful. And, as I anticipated, the cinnamon break was fantastic.

If I just pretend Lightning Rod doesn't exist, I truly have no complaints about my visit. 10/10 wonderful park. With Big Bear Mountain opening soon and maybe, if the stars align, LRod decides to work, I have great reason to return.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 7:15 PM, thrillseeker4552 said:

Update: it was closed (on Friday 4/21). Not even a single test run all day. Just maintenance guys all over the lift/launch catwalks and station/brake catwalks.

With that being said, aside from LRod's closure, I had an amazing visit. I could not have asked for better weather (sunny, partly cloudy, mid-high 70s all day). All coasters had 2+ train operations with speedy dispatches. I was also pleased to see Drop Line open. I love drop towers and this one was really great.

My biggest highlight was Thunderhead. I was expecting another "medium" thrill GCI but it was amazing. It was my favorite ride in the park and is probably my favorite GCI too. It runs like a dream, has great pacing, good layout, and I just had a blast on it. Props to Dollywood for keeping it in great shape even though it's 19 years old (not sure if it had recent track work?). I would also say Mystery Mine exceeded my expectations. I never rode it before the modifications but I really like the ride. It's awkward and weird but that's sorta why I love it. I didn't find it that rough at all.

Tennessee Tornado was another favorite. Up there with Viper at SFMM for my favorite Arrow looper. FireChaser had more kick than I expected. Wild Eagle was exactly what I thought, kinda "meh" for a wing coaster but the views are wonderful. And, as I anticipated, the cinnamon break was fantastic.

If I just pretend Lightning Rod doesn't exist, I truly have no complaints about my visit. 10/10 wonderful park. With Big Bear Mountain opening soon and maybe, if the stars align, LRod decides to work, I have great reason to return.

IF it makes you feel any better, not that it necessarily will, it took my son 3 trips to finally get LR. First try was a guy's trip with Grandpa in June of 2018 when he was 15, it taunted him by testing all day but never opening. Second try was an ACE Christmas event in Dec of 2020, masks still in play and a "temporarily lost car key while 500 miles from home" event that has become family legend, no signs of life the entire day. Finally, we went back in May 2021 on his 18th birthday and he got it. We did other things on those trips but still, we logged over 3000 miles on my car going back and forth because it is one of those locations that would take us almost as long to fly as to drive. I mean, it's an awesome coaster and I really love it but it for sure became somewhat of a bogey that we felt compelled to conquer, lol.

43 minutes ago, tndank said:

Big Bear opening May 12.  Passholders that purchased early can sign up for exclusive time slots starting earlier that week.  https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/festivals/big-bear-mountain-preview-night/

The 12-14 have 4hr blocks that appear to be passholder only.
That's an unusual way of opening. 

Maybe some exclusive time Friday, but Sat and Sun too?

On 4/3/2023 at 9:26 PM, tndank said:

RIP kids under 14 being able to ride Lighting Rod and others by themselves at Dollywood.  I'm told this new policy along with signs started appearing last weekend.  Seems odd.

On 4/15/2023 at 2:36 PM, TEDodd said:

See or hear more on this?

I'm hearing from others that new signs haven't been posted and it was just a few new employees misunderstanding the rules, particularly on LR.

I am really hoping this was miscommunication by some new employees.  My oldest would pass for 14 easily, but not my middle.  We send them off together while my youngest is at firechaser with one of us.  My oldest (now 12) has been riding eagle by herself since she was 8 and my 8 year old rode the drop ride by herself when she was 6.  Heck my 5 year old can ride the small coaster by himself.  Not sure why they would not allow kids to ride by themselves anymore.  We were there first week of the season and no one said anything to any of my kids who were riding by themselves for any coasters and height charts were all the same.  I would have thought a change like this would have been done at beginning of the season.  It really effects families with multiple kids.

They had Big Bear testing all afternoon today. Trains have working headlights and tail lights.  Area and station look nice.  Trains look small.

Park was not crowded at all today.  Most everything outside of LR and FC was a walk on.  

bbm_testing.png.b3ea86d52f1f79e11586e0d76427513a.png

• Like 3

On 4/16/2023 at 10:53 PM, tndank said:

LR was running today.  So, there's some hope for you two.

Damn, between this comment and the latest I went from huzzah! to it aint looking good lol 

That said still looking forward to my visit, Big Bear opened and I never put toooo much stock in a POV but it looked better than I imagined. I also hear the retracking of Thunderhead has made it top tier (and I already really liked it) and it's Dollywood which did live up to hype, so yeah I'm pretty stoked. In all seriousness ya gotta prepare for a 50% (maybe thats generous?) chance LRod will be down and bake that into your planning so if its down itll suck but eh. 

Planning on June 1 so hopefully a weekday won't be too crowded then. Last time wasnt bad at all but that was early May

LR has been running well since it reopened a few weeks ago (knock on wood).  Only problem is they typically run one train. 

It's very likely the park will be fairly dead on June 1.  Besides LR and FC, everything should pretty much be a walk on most of the time.  Thunderhead is in great shape right now.  Lots of new wood on it again this year.  It's my favorite in the park and it's running great now days.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tndank said:

LR has been running well since it reopened a few weeks ago (knock on wood).  Only problem is they typically run one train. 

It's very likely the park will be fairly dead on June 1.  Besides LR and FC, everything should pretty much be a walk on most of the time.  Thunderhead is in great shape right now.  Lots of new wood on it again this year.  It's my favorite in the park and it's running great now days.

Nice. I find it best to temper expectations but that is good to hear. Great about Thunderhead, you're not the only I've seen call it the best right now which seems insane given LR but we'll see! 

Ah nice, I'm pretty excited for this trip.