TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

How does the park do timesaver now? Is it still the Maynard’s they used a few years ago that you could swap off? Going in a month th and wondering how many we would need. Not all are riders, and could we just do two and pass then around? 

On 5/12/2023 at 11:26 PM, tndank said:

LR has been running well since it reopened a few weeks ago (knock on wood).  Only problem is they typically run one train. 

It's very likely the park will be fairly dead on June 1.  Besides LR and FC, everything should pretty much be a walk on most of the time.  Thunderhead is in great shape right now.  Lots of new wood on it again this year.  It's my favorite in the park and it's running great now days.

School is out June 1st in TN, so not sure why it would be dead.

10 hours ago, megan said:

How does the park do timesaver now? Is it still the Maynard’s they used a few years ago that you could swap off? Going in a month th and wondering how many we would need. Not all are riders, and could we just do two and pass then around? 

Wristbands is all they have now.  I think they learned with the lanyards that it was way too easy to game the system

50 minutes ago, IzzyB said:

School is out June 1st in TN, so not sure why it would be dead.

Because school field trips are what is causing all the crowds right now.  Probably not dead, but not busy at all.  

As far as family coasters go, Big Bear Mountain is excellent. Onboard audio along with everyone screaming is fun.  Ride is smooth and twisty. Nothing special but a great ride the family can all enjoy together. 

Also, all the theming besides the big, stupid circular disc is really well done. Great looking ride. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Currently in line for Lightning Rod, counter at about 50 minutes. Rolled back as soon as I got in line, they evacuated the train and ran 4 empty cycles, then ran like a other 4 trains with riders, then another rollback and another evacuation. Operator just announced "extended downtime" and everyone in the queue except me and one other couple bounced.

Seriously, why do they not just try a re-launch after a rollback like every other launched coaster in the world? Why the whole evacuation procedure? 

EDIT: Saw on queue times that it was back up. Made my way over, and 20 minutes later (using Timesaver), I was lined up to be in the front row on the next train (they were only running one).  Previous train dispatches, and a minute passed, and suddenly everyone in the station lets out a groan. I turn around, and there it is... 

The train rolled back yet again. *Sigh*

15 minutes later with zero motion, they announce "extended closure." Guess I'll try again tomorrow. At least they gave me a single use Timesaver card which is good on Lightning Rod, so with my resort band I'll have two TS opportunities on it tomorrow. 

On 6/2/2023 at 2:34 PM, AmyUD06 said:

Currently in line for Lightning Rod, counter at about 50 minutes. Rolled back as soon as I got in line, they evacuated the train and ran 4 empty cycles, then ran like a other 4 trains with riders, then another rollback and another evacuation. Operator just announced "extended downtime" and everyone in the queue except me and one other couple bounced.

Seriously, why do they not just try a re-launch after a rollback like every other launched coaster in the world? Why the whole evacuation procedure? 

EDIT: Saw on queue times that it was back up. Made my way over, and 20 minutes later (using Timesaver), I was lined up to be in the front row on the next train (they were only running one).  Previous train dispatches, and a minute passed, and suddenly everyone in the station lets out a groan. I turn around, and there it is... 

The train rolled back yet again. *Sigh*

15 minutes later with zero motion, they announce "extended closure." Guess I'll try again tomorrow. At least they gave me a single use Timesaver card which is good on Lightning Rod, so with my resort band I'll have two TS opportunities on it tomorrow. 

Ugh, of course it's having issues since CoasterCon is only 2 weeks away. Although, they wisely are only offering it on one of the four ert sessions in the main park and that's a morning ert. I suspect they were very wary of over promising. This way if we get lucky and it's having a good day they can always add it in and everyone will be thrilled but if they don't no one can really complain.

2 minutes ago, teacherkim said:

Ugh, of course it's having issues since CoasterCon is only 2 weeks away. Although, they wisely are only offering it on one of the four ert sessions in the main park and that's a morning ert. I suspect they were very wary of over promising. This way if we get lucky and it's having a good day they can always add it in and everyone will be thrilled but if they don't no one can really complain.

Well, it did appear to run pretty consistently for at least the first two or three hours today.  They were even running two trains, too!  But again, its been closed since around 1 today.  Maybe the closures are temperature-related?  It did get into the mid 80s yesterday and today and that little set of LIMs at the base of the lift is always steaming something fierce.

I was very happy to get my two laps on it when I first arrived to the park in the morning today.  I'll save my full review for my TR, but in short:  This is not the best ride in this park, in my opinion, and where it falls in the ranking will depend entirely on where you're seated.  If you're in/towards the front, it'll be #2.  If in the back, it's closer to #4.  Not even the best RMC that I rode this week.  If you don't get on it, you're not missing anything special aside from the credit.  Temper your expectations.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, AmyUD06 said:

Well, it did appear to run pretty consistently for at least the first two or three hours today.  They were even running two trains, too!  But again, its been closed since around 1 today.  Maybe the closures are temperature-related?  It did get into the mid 80s yesterday and today and that little set of LIMs at the base of the lift is always steaming something fierce.

I was very happy to get my two laps on it when I first arrived to the park in the morning today.  I'll save my full review for my TR, but in short:  This is not the best ride in this park, in my opinion, and where it falls in the ranking will depend entirely on where you're seated.  If you're in/towards the front, it'll be #2.  If in the back, it's closer to #4.  Not even the best RMC that I rode this week.  If you don't get on it, you're not missing anything special aside from the credit.  Temper your expectations.

Oh we've ridden it! Only credit in the park we don't have is the new coaster. So certainly not the end of the world if we miss it all together but was just hoping that it would behave for Con and especially for ert 🙄

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 9:22 AM, megan said:

On 5/15/2023 at 10:52 AM, tndank said:

I believe they are all wristbands now.  I know resort TS are wristbands.  Don't recall seeing any lanyards a week ago but very possible I just wasn't paying attention.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:11 PM, IzzyB said:

Wristbands is all they have now.  I think they learned with the lanyards that it was way too easy to game the system

On 5/15/2023 at 9:02 PM, thrillseeker4552 said:

That must have been a recent change because they gave me a lanyard for Timesaver on April 21.

To add even more confusion to this, here is what I observed for people using Timesaver over the past two days (June 2nd and 3rd, 2023):

-Resort guests got wristbands.
-Some people had Cards contained in a clear pouch at the end of a Dollywood-branded orange lanyard.
-Some people just had Cards, which the scanning grouper let the person keep.
-Some people just had Cards, which the scanning grouper collected.
-Some people were presenting their phone to be scanned.

Clearly, the Timesaver situation is in flux LOL.

First visit to Dollywood is coming up at the end of the month.  I'm planning on two days in the park and buying Timesaver for at least one.

I know to run to LR as soon as possible and to pay the extra for preferred parking.  What are some other basic tips?  Sorry if I'm the millionth person to ask the same question, but read back 10 pages in the thread and didn't see another one.

I'm also planning to check out the various attractions in Piegon Forge & Gatlinburg.  What tourist trap stuff in the area is fun and tacky vs lame?  Which is the better of the multiple alpine coasters?

As someone who just got home from a similar trip, I have a few tips:

Stay at the DreamMore Resort.  It's awesome, and includes basic Timesaver for each day you're going to the park.  You can call them up and get a package rate as well that includes admission.  You also won't need to worry about paying for Preferred Parking, since you can either ride the shuttle to the park or I believe staying on property gives you preferred parking anyway.

Note that basic Timesaver does have restrictions on it - total of 5 uses, including shows, and only one use on Dragonflier and Lightning Rod (that come out of your 5 total).  It is not valid at all on Big Bear "Mountain."

I just spent a Friday and Saturday with beautiful weather at the park, and didn't encounter any sort of crazy waits (over an hour) except for Big Bear Mountain, which I saw peak at 90 minutes reported.

Definitely try to get on LR early, but if it's down, I don't suggest sitting around waiting for it....

That said, you'll have two days.  Most people will say this is more than enough time, especially with Timesaver, but LR throws a wrench into this if you're determined to get the credit.  Having a second day gives you a whole second set of 10 hours to try to get on it.  I basically just kept an eye on the app to see if it was open and went over there when it was.  If you don't get on it, you're not missing much, IMHO.  At best it's the 2nd best ride in the park, and depending on where you're seated it could be a lot further down this list.

If you don't like country/religious music, you're probably not going to like any of the shows except for the bird one, which was kinda awesome.

The tourist trap stuff seems exactly that...I didn't spend any time or money there.  Note that there are a few credits tucked away in the small parks there (plus a bunch of mountain coasters), and a ton of cool-looking go-kart tracks, if you're into those.  Don't get too excited about the Action-Park-style bungie jump towers you'll see though; they appear long decommissioned.

You can DM me if you have any specific questions I didn't address.

On 6/5/2023 at 12:37 AM, CedarFlags said:

First visit to Dollywood is coming up at the end of the month.  I'm planning on two days in the park and buying Timesaver for at least one.

I know to run to LR as soon as possible and to pay the extra for preferred parking.  What are some other basic tips?  Sorry if I'm the millionth person to ask the same question, but read back 10 pages in the thread and didn't see another one.

I'm also planning to check out the various attractions in Piegon Forge & Gatlinburg.  What tourist trap stuff in the area is fun and tacky vs lame?  Which is the better of the multiple alpine coasters?

I think Rocky Top is one of the best of the alpine coasters and it's right on the way in and out of Dollywood, quick and easy. Going up to Anakeesta is probably worth it, along with the soon to be two mountain coasters they have a canopy walk, zipline, restaurant and awesome views. Ober Gatlinburg also has several activities including a mt coaster and is a pretty spectacular cable car ride to the top. As far as go karts/putt putt/etc they abound all over Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg and I don't think there is a particular standout.

The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge and Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg are both great places to eat. If you want to souvenir shop I suggest Gatlinburg, it's the older more sophisticated cousin of Pigeon Forge.

If you have never been to the area I highly suggest spending a day or at least half a day in Smoky Mt National Park. The Sugarlands Ranger Station is just a minute or two outside Gatlinburg and the park rangers there have lots of info on the trails. There are several that you can do in just a couple hours or a half day that do not require any special equipment, just fun short hikes, and they have them all rated on how strenuous they are. Several places in Gatlinburg make sandwiches/box lunches specifically to take on day hikes, just google it and you will find a list.

And if you really have the time you can also go whitewater rafting in the area.

Make sure to check out the Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride in PF and Earthquake The Ride in Gatlinburg.  Both are some of the cheesiest, most ridiculous attractions I have ever done, but are of the "so bad it's good" variety.  Earthquake is around $12 I believe and Jurassic Jungle is like $20 now, which is absolutely ridiculous for a 7 minute ride... but hey, you're on vacation, right?  :)  Have fun!

On 6/3/2023 at 5:31 PM, teacherkim said:

Oh we've ridden it! Only credit in the park we don't have is the new coaster. So certainly not the end of the world if we miss it all together but was just hoping that it would behave for Con and especially for ert 🙄

I've been watching that pain in the a$$ of a ride pretty religiously the last week or so also for Con reasons and while it hasn't been perfect it's been running consistently enough that I feel comfortable about getting at least a ride or two each day on it. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, coastersandhockey said:

I've been watching that pain in the a$$ of a ride pretty religiously the last week or so also for Con reasons and while it hasn't been perfect it's been running consistently enough that I feel comfortable about getting at least a ride or two each day on it. Fingers crossed!

I'm guessing they're only offering it during one of the ert sessions out of fear that if they tried to do more and it crapped out there would be disappointment, but boy is it going to be swamped on that one ert session. Maybe they will try to sneak in another round if it is behaving, you know better to under promise and over deliver. 

7 hours ago, teacherkim said:

I'm guessing they're only offering it during one of the ert sessions out of fear that if they tried to do more and it crapped out there would be disappointment, but boy is it going to be swamped on that one ert session. Maybe they will try to sneak in another round if it is behaving, you know better to under promise and over deliver. 

Absolutely. And Dollywood is definitely the type of park to suddenly give event attendees a little something extra. 

Couple questions for those who have been to Dollywood this year. Do the vests on Wild Eagle still lock like all the wing riders originally did or did they remove that finally?

Also, how is Mystery Mine running? I love that ride no matter what but it'll be my girlfriend's first time and she's pretty sensitive to rides that smack her head around. So I want to prepare her appropriately. 

Any other tips about Dollywood would be helpful. I haven't been since 2019 so really looking forward to getting back!

5 hours ago, coastersandhockey said:

Absolutely. And Dollywood is definitely the type of park to suddenly give event attendees a little something extra. 

Couple questions for those who have been to Dollywood this year. Do the vests on Wild Eagle still lock like all the wing riders originally did or did they remove that finally?

Also, how is Mystery Mine running? I love that ride no matter what but it'll be my girlfriend's first time and she's pretty sensitive to rides that smack her head around. So I want to prepare her appropriately. 

Any other tips about Dollywood would be helpful. I haven't been since 2019 so really looking forward to getting back!

I'm short, 5' 1", and I have a bigger problem with my shoulders than my head on Mystery Mine, because there is so much space between the top of my shoulders and the restraints. Actually had restraint shaped bruises on the tops of my shoulders from getting jammed up into them. If she is taller, and most people are 🙄, then there might be more of a head issue. My son is a good 9 inches taller than me and very thin and it's more of a head banger for him. We almost never think the same rides are uncomfortable so body size/shape/height is definitely and issue with the experience. For instance I never have the shin discomfort that so many people complain about with rmc restraints, so I guess that's one win for those of us that are "fun sized"

35 minutes ago, teacherkim said:

I'm short, 5' 1", and I have a bigger problem with my shoulders than my head on Mystery Mine, because there is so much space between the top of my shoulders and the restraints. Actually had restraint shaped bruises on the tops of my shoulders from getting jammed up into them. If she is taller, and most people are 🙄, then there might be more of a head issue. My son is a good 9 inches taller than me and very thin and it's more of a head banger for him. We almost never think the same rides are uncomfortable so body size/shape/height is definitely and issue with the experience. For instance I never have the shin discomfort that so many people complain about with rmc restraints, so I guess that's one win for those of us that are "fun sized"

Thanks for the insight. My girlfriend is about 5'5 or 5'6. So she may have more head banging and less shoulder issues by the sound of it. 

I've been to Dollywood probably 5 times and I think everytime Mystery Mine was a different level of rough ranging from not at all to absolutely brutal. So we shall see.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, coastersandhockey said:

The vests acted like every other B&M vest restraint I've been on did....so that's Valravn, Gatekeeper, and Banshee.  I'm not sure what you mean by "lock;"  Do you mean "impossible to tighten during the ride?"  I didn't notice mine tighten at all, but I usually don't.

Mystery Mine was a fun ride but the nature of the layout is going to produce some headbanging no matter how well its running.  I had 2-4 times of distinct head-to-restraint impact, and I am 5'6".

Go to Big Bear Mountain early.  This ride will get substantial lines and Timesaver does not work on it as of yet (unless this changed in the past week).  I'd also hit Dragonflier early while you're over there too.

Thunderhead is easily the star of this park, but if you've been there before, you know that.