TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

My thinking was trying to decide if it was the video that just was making it seem a slower pace or if it was the difference in the launch vs chain lift, but if it is a slower pace than that's not necessarily a bad thing because it will make it more family friendly with younger children, the one time I rode it in launch mode it was very very fun but very very fast and the whole thing was a blur from start to finish. I personally think for me if it is a slower pace that just gives me more time to enjoy the twists and turns, just my opinion.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TrippinBillie said:

I saw a side by side of 2016 and 2024 Lightning Rod that was synced up at the exact same time after the crest of the first hill; I have to say it's extremely neutered.  I'm sure they will take uptime and reliability over the guest frustration and guessing game of open/closed each day, but that thing is definitely a shell of it's original form.  After watching the official TPR on and off-ride, you can tell that thing isn't as whippy and out of control as it's v1.  As someone who rode in 2016 and then 2020, I noticed a HUGE difference in pacing and a slower launch.  I can't imagine how clipped it must feel now. 

I'm certainly not one to cause problems or throw shade, but I'm a bit shocked and disappointed Rob continuously replied to comments on his POV YouTube that "I couldn't tell one bit of difference".  I'm not sure if that is genuine, or if he was wanting to help the PR train with Dollywood....but it's sad to see videos of the old vs new with this coaster.  That quad down in 2016 was literally absolute chaos and insanity.  If you look at POVs from this year, that thing is crawling over that first return up and over to start the quad down.  But, again, I'm sure Dollywood is happy their big investment has more uptime.  I just wish people would admit to the glaring difference in pacing and how it runs.

I'm not Robb, but we're certainly not sucking up to Dollywood. The ride really didn't seem any different to me. That being said, I think a lot of the newer RMC's and other coasters just out do it and it is an older ride now so it's not as crazy as it once was. People have this memory of riding it back in 2016 when it was legit amazing and new and something we hadn't really seen before. Since that time there have been a ton of new coasters that are bigger and faster and have equally crazy elements so I think it's more a memory issue. 

Oh, and the day we were there it ran two trains all day with a 5 minute wait so there you go. I'll take that thanks!

• Like 7

On 3/24/2024 at 8:22 PM, TrippinBillie said:

I saw a side by side of 2016 and 2024 Lightning Rod that was synced up at the exact same time after the crest of the first hill; I have to say it's extremely neutered.  I'm sure they will take uptime and reliability over the guest frustration and guessing game of open/closed each day, but that thing is definitely a shell of it's original form.  After watching the official TPR on and off-ride, you can tell that thing isn't as whippy and out of control as it's v1.  As someone who rode in 2016 and then 2020, I noticed a HUGE difference in pacing and a slower launch.  I can't imagine how clipped it must feel now. 

I'm certainly not one to cause problems or throw shade, but I'm a bit shocked and disappointed Rob continuously replied to comments on his POV YouTube that "I couldn't tell one bit of difference".  I'm not sure if that is genuine, or if he was wanting to help the PR train with Dollywood....but it's sad to see videos of the old vs new with this coaster.  That quad down in 2016 was literally absolute chaos and insanity.  If you look at POVs from this year, that thing is crawling over that first return up and over to start the quad down.  But, again, I'm sure Dollywood is happy their big investment has more uptime.  I just wish people would admit to the glaring difference in pacing and how it runs.

I'd be curious to see that comparison. Specifically to know when each was filmed.

I know a bunch of 1 vs 2 comparisons that had vastly different temperatures, and LR was always slower in the cool months (like March/Nov/Dec). And even then March 20th one year could be significantly colder than another year
This year it wat 61 at noon. 2020 it was 68 at noon. 2016 it was 45.
I guarantee a video at 45 is a lot slower than at 69.

Even the same day could see 20-30 degree change from morning to afternoon and you could really tell the difference.

So you need videos at similar temperatures to compare with.

The first time I rode this ride was 2019 and I have been lucky that every time I have gone it has been open and I have been able to ride it.  I normally go in March and/or June and I guess I am lucky.  But I have ridden it a lot.

We were there last week and I have to agree with the people riding and seeing no difference.  I told my kids to warn them it was chain, but after hill it is not supposed to be different.  They were disappointed when I told them, but I told them to give it a shot.  We had the last 2 rows of the coaster.  It whipped us over that lift hill which shocked me honestly.  But my kids and I all agreed it is still super fun and FAST.  My one daughter said she thought it was better than last year.  The lift hill was also faster than I expected and my oldest said the same.  She expected Eagle and it was much faster than Eagle.

My one said "I hate when you are right mom, but you were it was the same after the lift and really a lot of fun, can we go again?"

Iron Gwazi is a chain lift and a very similar coaster and super insane and fun also.  I agree with others, other coasters have come out that are better.  I used to have this at the top with Iron Gwazi and now I have ridden coasters like Velocicoaster and now that is my top.  Memories are an interesting thing and play tricks on us.

I think this is a win for the park.  I can't comment on up time vs down time since this vacation was no different than any others as I said we were always lucky and had a lot of up time on the days we went.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2024 at 9:22 PM, TrippinBillie said:

Soooo it was the year they did the retracking (whenever that was) and I recall seeing a side by side comparison and the current looked dreadfully slow. There was no way eyes can deceive like its right there.  I did ride it that year and full sincerity it felt exactly like the year before (before the retracking). And in general POVs of the same coaster can look very different....it depends on a lot of factors. You also can't totally trust one, I recall Skyrush looking cool but....OK, then we rode in person and uh yeah. Point being, you really can't trust POVs to make much of a claim, you have to ride it. 

We're enthusiasts we're all insanely critical and crazy lol I doubt anyone would fake their opinion. If people are saying they don't notice any real difference, they mean it. They'd have no issue saying otherwise. 

Also this is my personal opinion: the launch was great but a bit overhyped. It was fun but as we know it slowed down after a bit and didn't really go over that quick (I never got to experience the OG sadly). To be blunt I felt more WOW going over the top of Skyrush. It was ofc super fun and its a bit sad its gone but I truly cant imagine it'll impact the overall experience, deff wont make it slower bc again it was going over not that quickly anyway tbh

TLDR: dont use POVs to make definitive claims. Im sure it'll be great still as some are confirming. 

• Like 2

Even in person you can't really trust looking at it.  I thought while on it the lift was surprisingly fast, we all did.  I came down to my husband who was with my son and pointed up and said the lift was pretty fast for a chain and yet looking at it from the ground it looked super slow lol

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 8:52 AM, IzzyB said:

My one said "I hate when you are right mom"

I've learned that Mom is always right, even when she isn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3