TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

IAAPA 2015 Live Coverage!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason to go when Robb goes out and provides us with the awesome coverage!

Highlights of this year for me are..

1) RMC T-Rex track

2) Mack Spinning Car that can be attached to any current Mack coaster (so it seems)

3) S&S Rotating tower car (offers 360 view of parks now!)

Honorable mention to the spectacular water slide models.

This coverage is insane and really is the best source for the latest information. Those numbers you've Tweeted are insane: who could ever think TPR would grow so big within a decade.

It's crazy! Every year I can't believe how well received the IAAPA coverage is. What's funny about it is that other than the Kuka Robocoaster video where I used my GoPro, I did 100% of it with an iPhone. I see so many people out there with giant cameras, DSLR's, tripods, boom mics, etc, pretending to be important as though their equipment demands respect, and then we come in with a mobile phone and do crazy numbers! lol

Sometimes it's not the equipment you use, but the quality of the content you can produce with it!

Thank you to everyone who kept up with our reports on Tuesday & Wednesday!

Edited by robbalvey

Was the VR coaster experience at Fun Spot in connection with the Google Cardboard technology?

They were using GearVR headsets, which are a Samsung/Oculus (or technically a Samsung/Facebook) joint venture.

I think those are also the ones Everland installed as part of their new attraction. Would make sense considering Samsung own Everland.

P1180136.thumb.jpg.03f9182ac1281764c272f50fe1351a8d.jpg

Yes anyone can attend, but it is more expensive if you're not a member. Also, correct me if I'm wrong Robb, there are Member only areas one the showroom floor as well as workshops that are for members only.

Yes technically anyone can attend but you're right it is more expensive if you're not an IAAPA member.

This is true. If you really want to go to IAAPA, you can. It's $385 for a non-member ticket. But keep in mind this trade show is not "play time" as it's an industry trade show for the people who are doing business with other industry vendors to attend. If you're sole purpose is going there just to "check it out" or "play" then you're going for the wrong reasons.

THIS. It's not as exciting as you would think.

^It still sure is fun to read coverage of, though!

And the coverage is great because Robb is valuable to the attendees. Attendees realize TPR is a great platform to obtain free PR for their products and innovations.

A regular attendee is not going to be able to have in depth conversations with industry leaders, because that conversation is not going to further their business.

You can definitely have FUN at IAAPA too though, though it's kind of awkward not to be a serious buyer or media.

There's a humongous arcade on freeplay with all of the best new games, a bunch of inflatables outside, some ice cream/pizza/funnel sticks/coke, several rides and VR experiences, and an insanely distracting amount of things to look at. And even many of the best personalities in the business if you want to meet your idol. It's as good as a day at any amusement park if you can go.

You can definitely have FUN at IAAPA too though, though it's kind of awkward not to be a serious buyer or media.

There's a humongous arcade on freeplay with all of the best new games, a bunch of inflatables outside, some ice cream/pizza/funnel sticks/coke, several rides and VR experiences, and an insanely distracting amount of things to look at. And even many of the best personalities in the business if you want to meet your idol. It's as good as a day at any amusement park if you can go.

That's true. I got to visit IAAPA as a late birthday gift when it was in Vegas in 2009, and I certainly had a blast there, even if I was just a random theme park geek. Still one of my favorite birthdays that I've had so far. I'd certainly like to visit IAAPA again soon.

Thanks for all the great coverage of IAAPA.

What types of new food offerings if any did they have this year? Also, is that backwards compatible ptc train able to run backwards on say...the racer at kings island? Or is the backwards compatible part meaning something else?

Thanks.

Thanks for all the great coverage of IAAPA.

What types of new food offerings if any did they have this year? Also, is that backwards compatible ptc train able to run backwards on say...the racer at kings island? Or is the backwards compatible part meaning something else?

Thanks.

Wasn't much in the amount of food to be honest. "Backwards compatible" meant that it will work on any coaster currently running a PTC train, not that the trains can run backwards.

Wasn't much in the amount of food to be honest. "Backwards compatible" meant that it will work on any coaster currently running a PTC train, not that the trains can run backwards.

That would explain my comment a few pages back that you asked about - I read the caption as 'the trains can run backwards', not 'the trains can run on existing rides'. Oops.

I went one year and yes it was expensive but worth it!. Nothing wrong with going and "checking it out". As many are there also doing that. Not everyone that goes is a buyer. I had no problems with any of the companies requesting their brochures and flyers of the products. Most if not all the companies are happy to provide them, and they encourage you to take them.

I had no problems with any of the companies requesting their brochures and flyers of the products. Most if not all the companies are happy to provide them, and they encourage you to take them.

As someone who has represented the organization he works for at vendor shows (not IAAPA), there's a very good reason for that: No one wants to ship or haul that stuff back to the office.

^I would have never thought of that, but that makes so much sense. During my time spent recruiting employees for a park at area schools, I just wanted to make it rain brochures to make it easier on us. Also, I know that a lot of the manufacturers have an insane amount of passion for their projects and love talking to people about them (when they have time to do so between meetings of course).

Also, since nobody has posted it yet, IAAPA has all of their award winners posted on their website. First, a huge congratulations to Sally, which won a Brass Ring AND Impact Award for JLBM. Second, while I highly suggest checking out all of the winners, I found the entertainment section to be really interesting, as it ranked categories by production budget. It really makes you appreciate how much money some parks invest into their shows.

Best Overall Production, $25,000 or Less: “Humanimal,” Africam Safari, Puebla, Mexico; www.africamsafari.com

Best Overall Production, $25,001–$50,000: “Dr. Fright’s Dead Man Party,” Six Flags Over Georgia, Austell, Georgia, United States; www.sixflags.com/overgeorgia

Best Overall Production, $50,001–$100,000: “Flash Band Beat,” Universal Studios Japan, Osaka, Japan; www.usj.co.jp

Best Overall Production, $100,001–$200,000: “Surpr'ice with the Gods of Greece,” Europa-Park, Rust, Baden, Germany; www.europapark.de

Best Overall Production, $200,001–$400,000: “Spook Me! The Europa-Park Musical,” Europa-Park, Rust, Baden, Germany; www.europapark.de

Best Overall Production, $400,001–$700,000: “Dollywood’s A Christmas Carol,” Dollywood, Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, United States; www.dollywood.com

Best Overall Production, $700,001– $1 million: “Life,” Kolmården Wildlife Park, Kolmården, Sweden; www.kolmarden.com/sprak/

Best Overall Production, More than $1 Million: “King Triton’s Concert,” Tokyo DisneySea, Chiba Prefecture, Japan; www.tokyodisneyresort.jp

Except they're there to sell product, not to meet and mingle with "fans." Although I'm sure they're cordial, it has to be somewhat of an annoyance for fanboy Jim to take their time and say "zomg I luv ur coasterz." For the sake of website and forum (media) coverage like TPR, it's different. Boards like this directly influence members of enthusiast community and to an extent the enthusiast community directly influences what type of attractions are supplied by parks. I would personally feel like somewhat of a bag if I went solo just to meet and greet with the people there to do business.