TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

IAAPA 2015 Live Coverage!

I went one year and yes it was expensive but worth it!. Nothing wrong with going and "checking it out". As many are there also doing that. Not everyone that goes is a buyer. I had no problems with any of the companies requesting their brochures and flyers of the products. Most if not all the companies are happy to provide them, and they encourage you to take them.

You would have to play a lot of arcades, eat a ton of food, experience every ride/inflatable/etc.. to get your monies worth paying the price of a non member.

It is a trade show first. It's not that you can't go and enjoy yourself, but rather that for the price you would have to pay, there is no way the experience is worth it. You'll experience the product and booth and get to chat with industry people, but you'll quickly realize that they don't have time to talk shop all day with fans.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And even many of the best personalities in the business if you want to meet your idol. It's as good as a day at any amusement park if you can go.

Except they're there to sell product, not to meet and mingle with "fans." Although I'm sure they're cordial, it has to be somewhat of an annoyance for fanboy Jim to take their time and say "zomg I luv ur coasterz."

THIS! Exactly THIS! One of the reasons why we stopped doing longer interviews with companies was for several reasons:

1. It takes time out of many companies actual reason for being at the show. (Selling product.)

2. They can't really answer many of the questions anyway mostly due to confidentiality or agreements they have with parks.

3. The reality is, those kinds of videos just don't have a huge audience. I have tended to go more mainstream with some of the videos we produced from the show and interviews focusing on uber-geeky questions for ride manufacturers (most of which end up being the same questions year after year) just don't have that big of an interest base.

And I witness it every year. Bloggers come in with all this equipment, big cameras, tri-pods, boom mics, etc, spend lots of time interviewing someone, and only getting a few hundred views. That tells me there isn't a big enough audience that is worth wasting someone's time. And even from my own personal experience, yes, while the representatives from the ride companies are "cordial" and will talk with you, you can sometimes tell that this is not what they are there to be doing, and I think more people need to respect that. And I can say that because I have been guilty of this in the past, too.

Instead, we now focus our IAAPA coverage on what people want to see based on our viewership over the years. Pictures of the booths, videos of actual rides (The Mack Blue Fire Spinning video already has 37k views), and *maybe* a super short interview for very selective products or a company that is hosting a press conference. For example, Sally Corp specifically asked us to come interview them for their Walking Dead attraction. Which we did and it looks awesome, but out of all the videos we put together, that one has the least amount of views. Why? Because people would rather see a video of the actual RIDE than someone talking about it, so while we were happy to feature the interview, when the ride comes out, you bet that will be a huge focus for us!

I only spent a day and a half at the show this year. Went in, got what we needed and what we wanted to cover, and we were done. We spoke with the people that we had business with or requested that we come by their booth, and I didn't bother anyone else. It was a "working" show for me, and IMO, that's the way it should be. We do a lot of work with ride vendors who have us come out to film their coasters and rides so along with the updates for the website, we do actually have legit business with many of these companies. Our photos & video were at just about every major ride company at the show this year!

But yes, going back to what I quoted above, I have seen many fanboys come to the show and start geeking out with their "coaster idols" asking them a million questions. I get it. You're happy to finally meet some of them. But remember, they ARE there to "work" and sell their products so that the fanboys will have even more awesome coasters to ride.

So if you do go to IAAPA, and you do meet your coaster idols, my advice to you is keep it short. "Hello Mr. Bollinger, thank you for many years of awesome work. We really enjoy your coasters!" Shake hands. Done. Walk away. Don't spend 45 minutes asking them about the types of bolts they used on a project 13 years ago. I've seen this happen, witnessed it just the other day, and it's not appropriate.

Edited by robbalvey

Yes anyone can attend, but it is more expensive if you're not a member. Also, correct me if I'm wrong Robb, there are Member only areas one the showroom floor as well as workshops that are for members only.

Yes technically anyone can attend but you're right it is more expensive if you're not an IAAPA member.

This is true. If you really want to go to IAAPA, you can. It's $385 for a non-member ticket. But keep in mind this trade show is not "play time" as it's an industry trade show for the people who are doing business with other industry vendors to attend. If you're sole purpose is going there just to "check it out" or "play" then you're going for the wrong reasons.

$385 really isn't a bad price. In fact we are looking at going next year. Not for the "fan boy" aspect of it. But simply to experience something new, and get to enjoy few days away from work!

While we are on the topic of whether or not it is worth it to go to IAAPA as a fan. I have a very serious question for this fan base. Should a college student spend $385 and a trip to Orlando and possibly miss a week of classes if they are looking to get into the amusement industry. I am studying Mechanical Engineering and the whole reason I am in this field is because of Rollercoasters and their impact on my life. I am curious to hear other people's opinions and stories about why they are on TPR and I welcome any advice given both not only to me but to others just like me who are waiting to get involved in the industry but just don't quite know how to yet.

While we are on the topic of whether or not it is worth it to go to IAAPA as a fan. I have a very serious question for this fan base. Should a college student spend $385 and a trip to Orlando and possibly miss a week of classes if they are looking to get into the amusement industry. I am studying Mechanical Engineering and the whole reason I am in this field is because of Rollercoasters and their impact on my life. I am curious to hear other people's opinions and stories about why they are on TPR and I welcome any advice given both not only to me but to others just like me who are waiting to get involved in the industry but just don't quite know how to yet.

It can't hurt. There's some young professional seminars and meet and greet things that could be valuable. I know someone working for a theme entertainment company in LA now who went to IAAPA 2-3 years ago and was able to network himself into an internship from that. But I think that may be easier for creative types than it is for engineers due to the comparative need within the industry for each. In short: it can't hurt, but you won't be able to do it just being on the show floor eating Minimelts.

I would advise against it. I know that this post will go a lot "off-topic" but I am just trying to help you out here as I am now in the engineering field and was in a bit of a similar situation myself. $385 dollars is a lot of money for a college student. Even for myself, I got a full ride scholarship to my university, but I still had a lot of expenses. I had a car, an apartment, bills, book fees, etc. IAAPA would not benefit you a lot as an engineering student. It's not a backstage tour, it's an industry convention.

Will the designers and engineers answer any questions you have? Yes, but other than that they won't have an hour long chat with you about how coasters work. That's what the internet is for. They are there to sell their products to benefit themselves and their businesses. I think that they would rather go home knowing they sold some products, than pleasing some fanboy by having a conversation with them.

If you want to learn more about coasters and how they work, I would suggest a backstage tour somewhere. Not only would it benefit you more because it's a learning experience, but it would likely cost a lot less. I know that BGW has done a cheap backstage tour in years past, and it is worth the price in duration, and the amount you get to see. Even a lot of parks will allow you to take a backstage tour if they do not offer one. It will cost more, but again this would be the proper time and place to ask questions about things. For instance, Darien Lake doesn't offer a backstage tour to the GP, but I know that a few years ago, a member here called and was able to book one with maintenance. He was able to get a sneak preview on a lot of things and get a lot of questions answered.

So just remember, you can do a lot more with that amount of money. IAAPA is not a carnival, it's a serious event. You won't get into the amusement industry because you are a huge fan or know a lot of trivia. Studying, being good at designing, and hard work is what will. It's a hard industry to get into, and a lot of people who do may not even be interested in amusement rides at first.

I know how a 20 year old mind works. To me, it just sounds like you're trying to justify taking a week off of school to go to an attraction that you really want to go to. I have a feeling your degree is going to be difficult enough without taking time off. Keep your foot in it and do the fun stuff when you're finished, man. You have plenty of time to get involved in the industry, but now you just need to focus on school. Good luck.

I have a potential idea on how you can get the most out of IAAPA as an engineering student, the Show Ambassador Program. I have participated this program for three years now, and each year has been full of professional career development training in the attractions industry. Your job for the week is to work the show through assisting education sessions, tours, special events, and other areas to operate the convention. While working you are put into very close contact with other industry professionals and you can get the chance to network. I have seen three engineers come away with jobs and internships for some companies such as GCI and Premier Rides due to connections made at IAAPA.

Please feel free to reach out to me in a private message if you want to learn more about the program.

I have a potential idea on how you can get the most out of IAAPA as an engineering student, the Show Ambassador Program. I have participated this program for three years now, and each year has been full of professional career development training in the attractions industry. Your job for the week is to work the show through assisting education sessions, tours, special events, and other areas to operate the convention. While working you are put into very close contact with other industry professionals and you can get the chance to network. I have seen three engineers come away with jobs and internships for some companies such as GCI and Premier Rides due to connections made at IAAPA.

Please feel free to reach out to me in a private message if you want to learn more about the program.

If networking is what you're interested in, which is what I think (and hope) you want, is the best advice I think you can get. If geeking out is your goal, Zach's right.

Thank you to everyone for voicing their opinion. I just want to let you know that I was never going to go to IAAPA to "fanboy". If I were to go it would be to network and to get potential internships/jobs. Trust me when it is not an easy decision to take a week off of school (especially in engineering) but I am trying to weigh out all of the pros and cons. The price tag is a little high but I do have loving and supporting parents willing to split the cost with me but they are already paying for my tuition and I don't want to ask for too much. If anyone would like to continue chatting feel free to PM me. Thank you again for your insight

@DirkFunk @coasterkid124 @prozach626 @ajfelice @michallynn4

Well, if you don't go and don't attempt to network, your chances of getting an internship are very slim. I'd say if you're a charming guy with a great resume, attending IAAPA would not be a wasted opportunity. However, you should attend the event your junior year of college so that you can intern the summer between your junior and senior years. Good luck!

I was with TPED at Purdue and our team definitely had a very valuable visit. Whether it is worth it depends entirely on how you treat this event and if you are brave enough to talk to people. If you treat it like a carnival, it is a carnival. If you see it as a great opportunity to network and really push yourself, there is nothing else like that.

I was with TPED at Purdue and our team definitely had a very valuable visit. Whether it is worth it depends entirely on how you treat this event and if you are brave enough to talk to people. If you treat it like a carnival, it is a carnival. If you see it as a great opportunity to network and really push yourself, there is nothing else like that.

You guys and your matching shirts...

So, I'll add to this. It is very much a "you get out what you put in" experience. The problem you've got here is that any company possibly seeking interns for the summer (regardless of whether they're in the entertainment industry or not) isn't going to really want to do any searching until January or February in the earliest. I would consider the IAAPA Attractions Expo as a "starting point" - that time when you make first contact with a company. You get a business card and / or a name, and follow up soon afterward, and then make the contact again when the time comes to really start looking. If whoever you contacted remembers you months down the road, then you had a good show. It's why I always wear my bow tie.

The other problem is that the IAAPA Attractions Expo is NOT a networking mixer, by any standard. Sure, opportunities do arise (moreso after normal hours), but the number one goal of companies exhibiting at the show is to do business, and not to interview the next generation (especially considering companies can be as small as eight people). That's why if you're not actually buying the next great Intamin coaster, it's best to only go to the show for a few days at the end of the week, when most companies have made their deals (though it's never guaranteed that they will be willing to talk with you).

That being said, it's completely appropriate to treat the IAAPA Attractions Expo as a fun experience. I got to take a run on the Sky Trail course, ride the SBF coaster going to Beech Bend, ride the Cloud Coaster, get a photo with the zombie, completely embarrass myself (in a good way) on the Strike-U-Up... If you're acting too professional to enjoy yourself at the Expo you might as well not come at all.

Myself? I came looking for inspiration. I'm continuing my college experience with an MFA at SCAD, and I've got some ideas for the self-driven design projects that I want to work on, as well as for my second thesis next year. I took it as a learning experience first, talk to people experience second, and I had a good show. I know exactly what I want to work on, and I still got to make first contact with people from firms like Forrec and Falcon's. I've been going to the show for four years now, and it's turned from a "wow" experience to an "I appreciate this" experience.

For students trying to get into the industry, you should consider joining the Themed Entertainment Association - TEA. We have a very active Next Gen division helping new people into the industry with many backstage networking events through the year.

Represent!

It's also definitely worth noting that IAAPA is noticing the increasing amount of student attendees at the show. One of the education seminars that they offer is what they call a "Career Slam." It's a two and a half hour session where you are broken up into groups of 8-10 students, and various people from the industry rotate through the groups for 12-15 minutes each for a Q&A session. And it's not like they pull random people off the floor that decided to do it because they didn't have anything else to do. This year they had pretty big names from Universal, Intamin, Thinkwell, Lionsgate, etc., and it was a great learning experience where you *did* get the chance to talk about things that you normally wouldn't get to talk about on the show floor.

if you're not actually buying the next great Intamin coaster, it's best to only go to the show for a few days at the end of the week, when most companies have made their deals (though it's never guaranteed that they will be willing to talk with you).

THIS. Especially Friday afternoon. That's when business really starts winding down, and you have the opportunity to talk with people and get some great insight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...