TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

am not missing the point. u can go not so scary but add at least another 30 secs to the ride. this looks like a carnival ride. whats up with all these woodies being built no taller than my house? I didnt expect a 200 footer but at least 125 and about 3500 ft with a little more going on.

So your house is 100 feet tall?

I'm guessing you've never ridden a GCI woodie even. They're short and sweet. Evel Knievel, Renegade, and Ozark Wildcat are awesome. Lightning Racer is cool too. All of those are less than 3500ft and they have airtime and are good twisters. This is coming from someone who regularly isn't even a fan of twisters, so you know they're good.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stilll dont understand the rational about extreme park and obnoxious teens Cedar Point builds extreme rides and they are garnering more revenue than six flags. I said everyone has different tastes and from reading some of the other posts I am not the only one that thinks this is gonna be a lame ride. I am sure that a lot of you all dont think so and you think a ride that is under 100 ft is gonna keep the riff raff away, I dont get the comparison at all. That doesnt fly with me about extreme park and no spending teens. Maverick and Diamondhead are mega rides and again those two parks do well.

First off, Maverick is not a mega ride. It's barely over 100ft so it should suck by your standards. Secondly, it doesn't matter what you think this ride is going to be. This ride is being built to be fun and family friendly. If that's not what you like you simply don't have to ride it. It's one less person in front of me.

I don't get the whining. The ride is what it is. If it's not your cup of tea, please feel free to move on.

With how the economy and Six Flags finances are, it's a wonder that the park is getting a unique coaster whatsoever. I'm not saying the complaints are without merit, but perhaps it simply wasn't economically viable option to go more extreme with a taller and longer design. If Six Flags allocated $10m for the coaster, and this is the design GCI came up with that fits their budget (keeping in mind the increase in inflation, cost of raw materials, and cost of building in CA to conform to earthquake regulations) then I think the community needs to be a little less harsh in critiquing it. Seeing how SF has been doing lately as a whole, I'm surprised something of this size wasn't outright canceled.

Yeah, it's not the greatest design, yeah it's got a wonky theme, yeah it's not Intamin, but with the new economic realities in the country, we should be grateful that the park is getting what will most likely be a pretty great little coaster at all.

^Very nice post, Wes. I think *most* of the complainers just need to step back and take a better look at the situation. SFMM is building a brand new, $10 million, GCI woodie. The majority of Top Ten woodies are built by GCI. Sure, there are no record breaking statistics here, but they are rational, and comparable to many coasters which most of us consider great.

Remember that the park at hand has 15 other roller coasters, and if a new, smooth, fun coaster isn't your cup of tea, it will draw crowds away from those other attractions and decrease wait times for you. Either way, it's a win-win situation.

\this looks like a carnival ride. whats up with all these woodies being built no taller than my house?

And I have personally never seen a wooden carnival coaster.

Does anyone agree that this may end up being the best/most fun coaster at the park?

Ninja has been my favorite ride for years despite not being the biggest coaster in the park. If this ride is as good as I really think it will be I think it'll rank up there (for me at least) with Ninja in terms of fun.

I thought Troy at Toverland was amazing and it was only 10' taller, 1 mile per hour faster, and 565' longer, which to me says I'll probably really really enjoy this ride. GCI has a great way of making "shorter" rides feel pretty long and the speed looks to be good throughout with those weird airtime transitions that I am a big fan of. Bring on Terminator! (which was filmed in the New Mexico desert, so I don't know why people are complaining about the theme that much)

Someone please inform me of the wonderful thrills & effects the themes of Batman, Riddler's, Goliath, Tatsu, Viper, Superman, etc all have on the actual coaster. Once the train leaves the station, it's all coaster, doesn't matter if it's wood or steel.

So what's stopping a Terminator theme from giving this ride an awesome queue? Nothing. Then the PR does talk about some audio effects and other effects on the ride that are planned that have to do with the theme. This is going to be the first woodie with on-board audio. That all sounds like this is something to look forward to, but 26 pages of mostly complaints & complaints about complaints? Wow. Anyone for optimism? Optimism, anyone?

^ I've said more or less the same thing many times. Indoor coasters you can theme throughout (Space Mountain being one of the best).

But outdoor coasters...no! Aside from theming the station and queue areas, as well as the ride vehicles, once you get outside, it's just a regular coaster---even if you have signs along the way, short tunnels, etc.

Terminator will be just a fun woodie.

Eric

Like I've stated before, I don't really like the theme at all. Not sure how an on-board sound system will work on a woodie. I've never ridden a ride with one, so I can't say what they do for the ride.

Theme aside, it really does look like a great ride. Hopefully the actual first drop will look more like the artwork and less like the animation, but either way it'll still be a good drop. The rest looks solid as well. This isn't something I'll make a trip across the country specifically to ride, but it's definitely one more credit to pick up if I'm ever in the area and take a trip to SFMM. Can't wait to see the construction progress on this thing.

Fine, I guess you're right.

In that case, thank you SF for putting in a new coaster, a new wooden coaster and doing it this year so we can ride it like our 401k's. Maybe it will bring the numbers up in the park and we can have Kingda Ka II: Kingda Ka-er or whatever thrill is appropriate.

Wait. I can't even tell if i'm being sarcastic anymore or wrapped all the way back to genuine.

Either way, (little kid comes out) yay! new roller coaster!

(must be feeling better today)

(DAMN! just realized the perfect theme: 401K the RIDE!)

oh god i'm poor

I said it needed to be longer mostly and there is no need to try to convince me about anything. Maverick IS a major thrilling ride. And no my house isn't 100ft and you know I was speaking metaphorically. This is just a site to exchange ideas. No one should get mad because someone doesn't necessarily like what you do. I said FOR ME it doesn't look all that great.

Come on now, my feeling that shouldn't personally offend anyone. Forums are a place to exchange DIFFERENT ideas not to agree. I didnt see a big deal in Raven at all and I stick by saying it is nothing wrong with SFMM competing with CP. El Toro has gone over well with everyone on here, I haven't seen one person on here complain about it being too big. I went the first year it opened and there were just as many "families" with small kids as the roudy teenagers.. I don't believe I have personally insulted anyone or stepped out of line so please don't be upset with me because my opinion is favorable. It probably is but everyone else is afraid to say it.

I have no opinion about this ride, other than I look forward to riding it.

Those clamoring for an El Toro clone, well, I don't think you're going to get your wish any time soon. Even if the exchange rate somehow evens out making one of these coasters not as insanely expensive, I'm still convinced that no US park will ever build one of them again. I still think that if you want to experience new Intamin wood coasters, you're going to have to travel outside of the US.

dt

It seems so far like the sound system is going to be built directly into the train, but I think we're going to have to wait a while longer to know for sure.

I'm personally very curious to see how audio is going to work on a wooden coaster!

^ I've said more or less the same thing many times. Indoor coasters you can theme throughout (Space Mountain being one of the best).

But outdoor coasters...no! Aside from theming the station and queue areas, as well as the ride vehicles, once you get outside, it's just a regular coaster---even if you have signs along the way, short tunnels, etc.

Eric

True, for the most part. There are exceptions, but Cedar Fair and SF will never come to mind first in this category. They may try real hard and have *some* success (Maverick), but when put up against BTMR, Black Mamba, Nemesis, Crystal Wings, Matterhorn (indoor/outdoor portions), and even Big Bad Wolf (to an extent), they will probably never commit that much money to try and "theme" a ride past the moment the train leaves the station.

Random thought struck me...

So, while with the Terminator itself, you think of the "machines", this movie is supposed to be set in a 'post-apocalyptic' world. Well, with a little bit of creative theming, the ride could essentially have risen out of the remains of the scorched earth and could be made to look like the remains of buildings and whatnot. Add an in depth queue line to this, and perhaps a tunnel or two with some Terminator units in them where you are going slow enough to see them, and some sort of ending and this thing could actually be a winner theme, I think.

Oh, and make sure that the music isn't like what is on X2. It works there. But make this instrumental and have it follow the action of the ride.

Until proven wrong, I'll give this the benefit of the doubt. Considering that there is another Terminator attraction just down the road that is quite well themed, I'm guessing that Six Flags already thought this through...

Man oh man does this ride look sweet! I personally have never been on a GCI and I'm stoked to see one coming to Magic Mountain!

I'm still curious to see what ends up happening with the audio and how they'll mount it to the trains (If they do).

And when I think about the whole Terminator theme I always thing of a ton of camo netting everywhere... But I could really care less if they don't even theme this ride because it looks sweet!

Isn't the terminator futuristic? And aren't woodies suppose to have a more um.. 'classic' or 'vintage' look and feel to them?

Seems to me like Six flags added 2 and 2 together and ended up with 5 instead of 4.

Thanks, no one on Page 28 of this thread had mentioned this yet!

Random thought struck me...

So, while with the Terminator itself, you think of the "machines", this movie is supposed to be set in a 'post-apocalyptic' world. Well, with a little bit of creative theming, the ride could essentially have risen out of the remains of the scorched earth and could be made to look like the remains of buildings and whatnot. Add an in depth queue line to this, and perhaps a tunnel or two with some Terminator units in them where you are going slow enough to see them, and some sort of ending and this thing could actually be a winner theme, I think.

Oh, and make sure that the music isn't like what is on X2. It works there. But make this instrumental and have it follow the action of the ride.

Until proven wrong, I'll give this the benefit of the doubt. Considering that there is another Terminator attraction just down the road that is quite well themed, I'm guessing that Six Flags already thought this through...

Now that could work! Seriously, somebody give this guy a contract !

Seriously!

AoS