TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

I don't think Banshee particularly runs well in any row, to be honest. That wider/modified train design just doesn’t feel “right” to me. Because the train is wider, I’d assume the weight is distributed differently on the chassis, it definitely feels different than any other invert. If anything, it feels more like an inverted dive-coaster train, if that makes sense. It definitely doesn’t run as refined/smooth, even since new.

Banshee’s layout is fantastic, but the profiling of the elements is what bothers me (along with those trains). Add some traditional shaping and even if just a little “snap” back into the elements with the standard trains and it would be phenomenal, if not one of the best.

I personally think inverts give a phenomenal back seat ride. While of course front always wins for visuals, being whipped around those snappy, old school elements in the back is something special.

Ok I'm glad I'm not crazy for this Banshee back row opinion, after my one lap in the back left row I was shocked at how much it rattled my brain around, very similar to the first valley on Steel Dragon 2000. My on-ride photo even has me wincing. I love the layout and love every other B&M invert so next time I'm at KI I'll have to give it a front row ride to really judge it again. Out of my whole day at KI it was the one coaster I was shocked at how much I disliked, so it really can just be the back of the weird trains.

Ohhh let me get in on this. For me an invert is a must to try the front and back and typically I end up enjoying the front more for the view. Don't get me wrong I like the whip you can get down the first drop on Raptor, Afterburn, Banshee; but the 4 wide trains make a front row wait next to nothing so I'm all in on waiting for the front seat!

Yeah, Banshee can really shake you up. It has some bad days and so does Diamondback. It's as if you're going through gravel. What is the because the trains are heavier? With Banshee's high speeds and positive g's you just feel it more?

I've been looking at the design of the old vs. new invert trains… The old design had (4) individual seat 'arms' if you will, bolted from the top 'frame' connected to the wheel bogeys, while the new one is (2) arms that each support a pair of seats. The new design would put the loading stress of each pair of seats directly in line with the wheel bogey, while the old design better spread the load equally around the bogey... with each seat arm both to each side of the wheel assembly. I'm guessing if you ran some FEA on that, you'd see the stresses behaving a bit differently up top there with how the forces are being transferred along that top frame. Perhaps some flexing and less rigidity (from the looks of it at least) cause the newer train to ride a bit rougher.

The old design looks a bit more robust, in my opinion. I'd also guess weight between the two is probably comparable, but without knowing the material gauge and all that fun stuff, it's hard to know obviously. Weight is not necessarily a bad thing for how a train may ride necessarily (more-so for the structure and track design), but will likely influence how the car rides for sure.

Too bad I don’t have access to FEA at work like I used to, I’d be curious to simulate a generic representation of these designs and compare under various loading/stresses to see how it changes. Wouldn’t be too hard at all.

old.JPG.f2ac974692268814cf9e2ebd5635f19d.JPG

new1.JPG.a735135ab0771b5a92b0bbb76d0d9d0c.JPG

Perhaps it's just me, but I didn't find any invert yet I liked in the back row. All B&M's the other way, I love to death in the front row.

Hmmmmm. This makes me think maybe you haven't ridden Afterburn at Carowinds.

I agree. Rear row on Afterburn is whippy as heck!

Honestly, this was not the color I was expecting. I can't say I hate it, but I'm interested to see how it'll match with the track.

It's the same color that was on KI's animations.

Some pictures look the same as the animation; the one that I shared looked more orange than red on the restraint. I also never noticed the red on the lead car, I guess.

I would imagine the lift motor is going to support Anaconda's final years. Where is that piece of track from?

If you look at the webcam, you can see the transfer track is gone. Looks like they aren't wasting time figuring out what parts can be used vs scrapped.