TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Thats because Diamondback isnt in that shot...

I don't have a screen shot to prove it but honestly the fog was so thick when I looked at Mystic Timbers and Diamondback they were covered too.

It's been over 60* and the warming weather + frost thawing makes for tons of fog.

They still have some kind of maintenance schedule that they have to stick to so that everything is ready for opening day. Yes this week has been warm, but who knows what next year will bring. Could have snow on the ground in November.

You know who else has a seasonal operation with maintenance schedules and opens the same time or earlier in the year as Kings Island? Dollywood. Six Flags Great Adventure. Six Flags Great America. Six Flags New England. Hersheypark. Silver Dollar City. Six Flags over Georgia. SeaWorld San Antonio. Sesame Place. Frontier City. Six Flags St. Louis. California's Great America. Phantasialand. I could go on...

Somehow though, all of those parks are able to run more than one coaster for Christmas. It's a holiday miracle.

Edited by coasterbill

Lots of euro parks list the rides will be closed for winter but they don't hesitate to open them for nice weather and crowds. Seems strange they don't have more on standby. I've now been to SFoG three times since late Nov. I would have rather done Carowinds and/or Kings Island for one or two of those but I like coasters. All are 3-4 hours away. Going back to SFoG tomorrow for coasters and 60 degree weather.

Then again, if it's busy then maybe don't need to open them. Folks are still there.

They still have some kind of maintenance schedule that they have to stick to so that everything is ready for opening day. Yes this week has been warm, but who knows what next year will bring. Could have snow on the ground in November.

You know who else has a seasonal operation with maintenance schedules and opens the same time or earlier in the year as Kings Island? Dollywood. Six Flags Great Adventure. Six Flags Great America. Six Flags New England. Hersheypark. Silver Dollar City. Six Flags over Georgia. SeaWorld San Antonio. Sesame Place. Frontier City. Six Flags St. Louis. California's Great America. Phantasialand. I could go on...

Somehow though, all of those parks are able to run more than one coaster for Christmas. It's a holiday miracle.

Exactly. I suspect that it's not actually maintenance that is the issue. Those are usually year-round positions and relatively high paying, compared to other jobs in this industry. The bigger concern is likely all of the other staff, the low wage seasonal workers like ride ops and security. Places that have an easier time finding staff keep more rides open.

Priced as such haha. Kings Island sure doesn't! $32 + taxes and fees for Winterfest and for anyone that isn't a child the ride options are:

Mystic Timbers

Zephyr/Swings

Antique Cars

Bumper Cars

Shake Rattle and Roll

Oh yeah, Boo Blasters I guess

Thankfully the pass discount knocks it down to $22.. still taxes and fees..

I'm very curious to know what % of pass holders to ticket buyers is. Seemed like a lot of people were there just to use the meal plan. The lines for food were absurd, with the biggest being for Forbidden Jesus Chicken. People were lined up like they were trying to get a last ride on Vortex.

We had a good time but after 2 hours it was boring. We would have done the tubing hill but we watched for a few minutes and not sure what the issue was but wow did it take a really really long time for them to get people set up to slide down the 15 ft little hill.

20191226_193443.thumb.jpg.02200c512640936971e875d129ac2620.jpg

No blue ice cream for you :[ Why? I would have crushed 79 cones.

20191226_185454.thumb.jpg.441fc07c84fa3d210e5347ad68c252c7.jpg

Yoinks

Priced as such haha. Kings Island sure doesn't! $32 + taxes and fees for Winterfest and for anyone that isn't a child the ride options are:

Mystic Timbers

Zephyr/Swings

Antique Cars

Bumper Cars

Shake Rattle and Roll

Oh yeah, Boo Blasters I guess

Ah, see Carowinds has the following (that aren't strictly child options) open:

Afterburn

Boo Blasters

Carolina Skytower

Copperhead Strike

Do-Si-Do

Electro-Spin

Mountain Gliders

Peanuts Pirates (adult ride to me lol)

Ricochet

Rock 'N' Roller

Scrambler

Screamweaver

Grand Carousel

Zephyr

Ok, KI may have a rides problem lol.

Yeah it's a big miss. Being home for the holidays with all your friends and family from out of town.. such a big opportunity to draw in a bigger crowd with more attractions. All my brothers wanted was 1 ride on Diamondback or the Beast. And Banshee. And Adventure Express.

Can Adventure Express even vally?! Haha..

If you're riding coasters, you're not spending money. I think the winter events are to attract a different clientele, as non-overlapping as possible, with lots of added charge activities, eating, drinking and shopping.

I've seen some people going to them don't seem to know the score. At KD, I saw a couple guys coming in around 7:00 Sunday wearing shorts, after coasters already closed for weather. Last year I shared a table at Panda Express with a family that was discussing whether to ride I305 or Volcano first. I told them they better get out of there and down to Rebel Yell if they wanted to ride any coaster at all that night.

If you're riding coasters, you're not spending money. I think the winter events are to attract a different clientele, as non-overlapping as possible, with lots of added charge activities, eating, drinking and shopping.

I've seen some people going to them don't seem to know the score. At KD, I saw a couple guys coming in around 7:00 Sunday wearing shorts, after coasters already closed for weather. Last year I shared a table at Panda Express with a family that was discussing whether to ride I305 or Volcano first. I told them they better get out of there and down to Rebel Yell if they wanted to ride any coaster at all that night.

So true, I had to tell a couple that the Beast wasn't open because they couldn't find the 'new path to it' because the temporary trees were blocking the entrance haha.

I will credit KI will setting up a great area for local artisans to sell candles, brooms, wooden trinkets and other stuff that that appeals to that demographic.

I hear the shifted demographic argument a lot “Winterfest isn’t about coasters!” but the last 3 days, Mystic posted at 90 minutes, 90 minutes again and 105 minutes yesterday.

The “demographic” wants to ride coasters.

Edited by coasterbill

I encountered the same demand for coasters at KD when I was there for their Winterfest. Remember that CF has only been doing this for a few years now, give them time...I'm confident that more/better coasters will open year after year.

At Kings Island, it's largely for maintenance. All of the trains for the big coasters are stripped down in the maintenance shops right now. You can't go and put a stripped-down axis on DIamondback and have people ride it, it would probably be fatal.

Flight of Fear could not run this year because the queue is all torn up right now in preparation for next year. I mean, I guess you can walk people through a construction zone, but lawsuits, etc.

Also, staffing.