TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Sorry for the double post. Here's a picture of the aforementioned topped-off Orion taken by Josh from FYE Coasters. 72610654_493022278222211_4343055734120906752_n.thumb.jpg.e229926c10e3d4cfce81b2e2e5ccb07e.jpg

Photo credit: FYE Coasters

Whoever said that Orion wouldn't look too much taller than Diamondback, sorry but it looks like you're wrong. Diamondback is technically closer to the main gate (at least I think so? I'm bad at orienteering and spatial reasoning) but it doesn't tower over the skyline in this same way. It seriously looks like Orion is just a little past the entrance even though it's way further back. Super cool! I can't wait to see it in person at Winter Fest! Edited by RAWKIN_coaster38

Yeah I was looking at the weatherbug cam earlier and I was disappointed to find that, from Kings Island Drive, they look almost identical. I'm sure that as you get closer to each ride, the height difference will be clear. But from the road? Diamondback and Blue Diamondback. Doesn't help that the drops are oriented the same way.

Well, I for one applaud Kings Island for their valiant effort. It takes a lot to piss off enthusiasts with a giga coaster, but they have gone to extreme lengths to ensure an enthusiast-free experience on Orion. Hats off to them!

Well, I for one applaud Kings Island for their valiant effort. It takes a lot to piss off enthusiasts with a giga coaster, but they have gone to extreme lengths to ensure an enthusiast-free experience on Orion. Hats off to them!

Ok wow I feel attacked. I'm not dissing on Orion, just making an lighthearted observation. Y'know, tryin' to keep keep it loose. Look at the pictures and you'll see what I mean.

There are so many potential puns here, it isn't even funny.

Well one thing's for sure: Orion looks a hell of a lot better than Firehawk ever did. And while Orion kinda matches Diamondback from a distance (at least in the video), it does not match Diamondback at all in person. Seriously, those track pieces are pretty darn massive and it was a little surreal seeing them while in line for Field of Screams.

Orion looks great topped off! And there is zero doubt in my mind Orion will be an awesome coaster to ride! I also wouldn't be surprised if it's my favorite coaster at KI!

But anybody trying to say it and Diamondback don't look almost identical from a distance, are either being disingenuous, or lying to themselves. I'm sure the coasters will ride somewhat differently, and a GIga (or GINO, depending on your perspective) is always going to be a fantastic addition to a park, KI included.

I do have to say though, it seems like there's this mentality that either you worship at the alter of KIGA, and CF, and pretend that this is the greatest coaster ever installed simply because it's large, and cost a lot of money, or you're an entitled enthusiast who's out of touch with reality, and deserves derision. Talk about a take completely bereft of nuance, and objective reasoning! It's 100% possible to both LOVE this coaster, and be super excited about KI getting it, and being able to ride it starting next year, and also feel like it was a strange addition given its similarity to Diamondback, or its barely qualifying as a 300 foot coaster, or any of the other reasonable (emphasis on that word, because admittedly, not all things being said about it are reasonable) questions some enthusiasts have about it. I don't get why some feel it needs to be one or the other, and can't just admit both perspectives are valid.

But again, Orion looks fantastic, and I simply cannot wait until I get my first view of it towering over the West side of the park, providing a lovely twin coaster hill skyline for the park!

^Cedar Fair ran out of dark orange paint.

But anybody trying to say it and Diamondback don't look almost identical from a distance, are either being disingenuous, or lying to themselves.

Even I chuckled at the video from outside of the park where Diamondback looks bigger than Orion. The lifts oriented in the same direction don't help. This may be the most 'basic bitch' of the 'basic bitch' B&M gigas. I still hold that if it comes even close to the lesser B&M giga, being Leviathan, it will still kick ass.

The whole thing is hilarious and I love it. Watching all of the anger, frustration, crying, bitching, and waves of all other E-drama unfold has been a troll's dream. Yet, at the same time I'm watching Orion go up and I can't help but to think that strictly from a visual standpoint this thing is starting to actually 'look' like Diamondback 2.0, as others have complained about. Especially for those who don't know what they're looking at.

I'm certain I'll enjoy the hell out of this thing. Bring on the runway size brake run! I hope the calculations are wrong and the drop ends up being 298 feet.

#notmygiga

#imwithfury