TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Not surprised by this announcement, but the media release could have been a little more exciting. I mean, "FIREBIRD, the only floorless roller coaster in Maryland," really isn't saying much, because Maryland is such a small ass state and there really are no competing amusement parks in MD! But it is what it is and I am sure it will be touted as a completely new roller coaster until the end of next season. I bet some of the GP will be upset when they go to SFA next year expecting a new coaster and realize its the same coaster with different trains.

I chuckled at that when I read it. "The first floorless coaster in Maryland" when there's one in Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. Oh man I better get there next year to ride the ride with that selling point.

I actually like these floorless conversions. I'd like to see all standups vanish forever if they could. But with that said, I probably won't make a special trip to ride this next year. Only if I'm ever in the area. SFA isn't a bad park. Glad they got something coaster related for next year.

:lmao: I chuckled at that when I read it. "The first floorless coaster in Maryland" when there's one in Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. Oh man I better get there next year to ride the ride with that selling point.

Well...it "is" the first floorless coaster in the state. Just about every park that announces a new ride that is a first for that state, cashes in on that.

:lmao: I chuckled at that when I read it. "The first floorless coaster in Maryland" when there's one in Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. Oh man I better get there next year to ride the ride with that selling point.

Well...it "is" the first floorless coaster in the state. Just about every park that announces a new ride that is a first for that state, cashes in on that.

Yeah I get that of course. Just seems like such a minor thing to brag about when you know way too much information about these things to begin with .

These floorless conversions would be so much better if B&M would just get with the times (as in 2002?) and figure out a way to put lapbars on their looping coasters like every other manufacturer has done. OTSRs are sooooo last century. Still, shocked that this piece isn’t headed to th scrap yard.

Not surprised by this announcement, but the media release could have been a little more exciting. I mean, "FIREBIRD, the only floorless roller coaster in Maryland," really isn't saying much, because Maryland is such a small A$$ state and there really are no competing amusement parks in MD! But it is what it is and I am sure it will be touted as a completely new roller coaster until the end of next season. I bet some of the GP will be upset when they go to SFA next year expecting a new coaster and realize its the same coaster with different trains.

The reason the words "only floorless roller coaster in Maryland" shouldn't be used is because the vast majority of the GP consider suspended coasters (and even flyers) to be "floorless".

True Story

Quick insight into the naming the coaster.

Project Manager: A coaster is rising from the ashes and being reborn what should we call it?

Team Member 1: Phoenix, like in Greek Mythology

Project Manager: Sounds great, it's a wrap

Legal Team: You can't use Phoenix

New meeting: The Project Manager shows pictures of the mythic Phoenix and asks Team Member to describe the picture

Team Member 1: It looks like a bird on fire

Team Member 2: Yea, a Firebird

Project Manager: Sounds great let use it.

True Story

Project Manager: A coaster is rising from the ashes and being reborn what should we call it?

New meeting: The Project Manager shows pictures of the mythic Phoenix and asks Team Member to describe the picture

I had the same exact thought, Larry.

Lol, some folks need to learn about marketing. The park is going to add whatever language they need to, as long as it's the truth, to sale something. They will not advertise, "we have new floorless coasters here, come and check them out". It'll be trumped up as the newest and greatest thing. They'll add whatever they feel to make it stand out.

Bottom line is that I don't want to hear it...lol.. Folks, even the naysayers, have been talking about how they should make this floorless for years. Don't back out now that they've actually done it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they would just change the restraints on ME, right? I can't remember what SFNE changed. Though, even if they are new trains, it would still be a SLC. It would just be a more comfortable ride. This goes from stand up to sitting, and with no floor. The experience will be different.

I'm sure the fire effect will be squared away.

I'm very happy. I'm looking forward to next year. A piece of me thinks that SF did this to guage how well this does, to make future decisions on a new coaster at this park, as well as upgrading other stand ups.

Six Flags can do whatever they want to their other Stand-Ups, but they better not touch Riddler's Revenge. In my humble opinion, of course...

True Story

I'm very happy. I'm looking forward to next year. A piece of me thinks that SF did this to guage how well this does, to make future decisions on a new coaster at this park, as well as upgrading other stand ups.

Six Flags can do whatever they want to their other Stand-Ups, but they better not touch Riddler's Revenge. In my humble opinion, of course...

I hear you. Same for Georgia Scorcher.

While Firebird is a decent name, this announcement would've been a lot heavier if they had stuck with the Fortnite theme. I truly believe the leak was real and Six Flags changed plans last minute after seeing the online reaction.

Attached is my concept art for how cool it would've been!

firebird.jpg.92b8188f9fa4ed506018a5401a576f4a.jpg