TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

^^This park could install Millennium Force and serve free beer in the queue and I'd still rather go to Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens. I don't think Six Flags has any interest in competing with those parks on anything other than price and the convenience of their location in relation to downtown Washington DC and that's probably because of the insane investment that would be required to even attempt to do so.

All very true. It's just a shame that a park with so much land wasn't owned by a chain that would want to and can invest the money.

^^This park could install Millennium Force and serve free beer in the queue and I'd still rather go to Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens. I don't think Six Flags has any interest in competing with those parks on anything other than price and the convenience of their location in relation to downtown Washington DC and that's probably because of the insane investment that would be required to even attempt to do so.

A lot of people in Northern Virginia that I have spoken with over the last few years seem to have no idea there's even a Six Flags here and some people are critical of how "unthemed" Kings Dominion is so I can't imagine their reaction to SFA.

I remember going to one of those Amish family style restaurants near Hershey where they seat you with different families and one of the families lived by Six Flags America but they preferred to drive north to Hershey. So even the stuff up north trumps them.

I totally agree. I would rather go to KD too, but SFA is only 50 min away versus KD being well over 2 hours away. It would be nice to have a park that close to me have some nicer rides. Do I have fun when I go to SFA, yes I do. But with any park I go too much and am starting to get bored. I have only went once this year and even then only stayed a few hours. BG I could do without. I get bored there fast. Even though its one of the most beautiful parks in the country with a decent coaster collection I still get bored. The only stand out there to me is Alphengiest. The rest I can take or leave.

My bold prediction: its not getting floorless trains, its just getting scrapped.

I just want to go on record that I agree with you. I'm not bold enough to predict what will go in its place, if anything. But I'd like to be delusional for a minute and make these points.

1. If it was simply going to be converted, why close it almost four months before the end of the season?

2. They're closing it early to remove it, and clear the land for a potential project.

3. Six Flags has been adding 2-3 new coasters every year.

4. SFMM is the only park in the chain we know is getting a new coaster at this point in time

5. So by simple process of elimination...

The reason people prefer KD, Hershey and Busch over SFA is because it gets boring really fast. Nothing in the park stands out. You only need about two hours to finish every ride, even on weekends. Superman is like the 5th best coaster in the DMV, and I think it’s borderline mediocre. If apocalypse does become a floorless, I’m curious to see if ridership actually goes up. It’s still a boring layout imo. Unless they redesign the layout or have amazing theming, I can see this being a fail.

I can't wait until announcement day when we find out they're replacing this with like a Zamperla disk'o coaster or some bullsh*t and you guys are all like "yeah we should have known we were never gonna get a Raptor" like every other year.

I can't wait until announcement day when we find out they're replacing this with like a Zamperla disk'o coaster or some bullsh*t and you guys are all like "yeah we should have known we were never gonna get a Raptor" like every other year.

or the announcement it's going to be getting floorless trains and a retheme.

since you KNOW that's what it's gonna be

Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm going with scrap yard on this one. I know there is a chance that's what they'll do (floorless), but I have a strong feeling its just getting ripped out.

That’s why I am somewhat optimistic about a brand new coaster (still keeping my hopes down though). Didn’t Mantis close in October and cedar fair had the conversion done by the parks opening in May? Six flags likes opening attractions late anyway, so I don’t see why Apocalypse is closing so early. Either apocalypse is closing early so that it’s queue can be used for a fright fest maze or it’s actually being scrapped for something new.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm going with scrap yard on this one. I know there is a chance that's what they'll do (floorless), but I have a strong feeling its just getting ripped out.

That’s why I am somewhat optimistic about a brand new coaster (still keeping my hopes down though). Didn’t Mantis close in October and cedar fair had the conversion done by the parks opening in May? Six flags likes opening attractions late anyway, so I don’t see why Apocalypse is closing so early. Either apocalypse is closing early so that it’s queue can be used for a fright fest maze or it’s actually being scrapped for something new.

I'm with you there. I think moving it to Maryland squeezed some profit from a ride that wasn't making any money in Chicago. I don't think they can squeeze any more out of ot with floorless trains.

That said, Six Flags has already done the calculation, and they know for sure what all their options would yield.

The part where they mentioned we'll have 'deja vu' is sticking with me still. I know last year they had terrible teasers for Wahoo River and we can only dream of what it could be. Perhaps though, whatever the ride is we are getting will use a name that we had in the past since they already own the rights to it and won't have to pay the money to register it again.

I'll have to play this one, and so will a lot of us:

Trying to just stick with the info we have...

Picture of a Thunderbird which is a name that was on the park survey

-I guess that would be the ride name.

Could it be Deja Vu?

- Bring back an old ride?

- Rebuild the Skull Mountain flume ride. Which would explain why they never completely disassembled it.

- Bring back a renamed Two Face boomarang. Goliath giant boomerang at SFNE was formerly Deja Vu at SFMM.

- Rebrand Apocalypse as Thunderbird with different trains.

- I'm not overlooking the obvious example of Deja Vu where we felt like we were getting something good.