TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I dunno why people would be against a B&M hyper. All the intensity junkies already have 3 big Intamins, including one that's even too intense for some people. A B&M hyper + Skyrush create a really cool good cop/bad cop dynamic of hypers.

Wouldn't it tie the record with kennywood?

If we're being technical, yes it would. But also technically, Phantom's Revenge has the tallest drop in the state at 228 feet.

If it is a B&M hyper, I just hope they can find a way to differentiate from Nitro.

It’ll be 137 miles away from Nitro in a different park in a different state and nobody will draw a connection between the two. That should be all you need to differentiate between the two.

... oh, and they’ll paint it occasionally.

"Tallest coaster in the state" is certainly easy marketing, and this would fit the bill.

Depends on how you're counting. I was thinking ride height, not drop height, so I was thinking it would beat Skyrush and Steel Force. But if you're thinking drop height, depends on where they put it. HP is hilly enough that if they place it right, they could get a 229' drop even with a 220' height. We'll see when they make their announcement.

2020 is stacking up to be potentially a huge year.

CGA- hyper

KI- B&M of some type

BGW - 315 ft approved waiver..giga?

Hershey- hyper

Dorney- already teasing a wood coaster

CP ??? bet on something good

KB ??? taking of their next big investment

CGA- hyper

KI- B&M of some type

Hershey- hyper

Dorney already teasing a wood coaster is a joke right?

CGA- hyper

KI- B&M of some type

Hershey- hyper

Dorney already teasing a wood coaster is a joke right?

A recent video uploaded by Dorney about their 5K contained some possible teasers for a new ride. In it one of the shots shows what appears to be a wood coaster in roller coaster tycoon (not sure which), but I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Screamscape talks about it better, and I'm sure there's discussion in the Dorney Park thread.

"Tallest coaster in the state" is certainly easy marketing, and this would fit the bill.

Depends on how you're counting. I was thinking ride height, not drop height, so I was thinking it would beat Skyrush and Steel Force. But if you're thinking drop height, depends on where they put it. HP is hilly enough that if they place it right, they could get a 229' drop even with a 220' height. We'll see when they make their announcement.

I believe he was referring to it sharing the record with Steel Curtain.

Oh yeah, I just looked that up and it is going to be 220'. Cool. I son't really keep track of stats like that; I had to use RCDB to come up with that. Anyway, I'm sure they'll market the hell out of it. Tallest in Central PA, tallest ride ever built at Hersheypark, plenty of options.

With Skyrush being my #1 I find this highly insulting, but I get why the park would do it. When I was at Hershey, was able to marathon Skyrush with zero lines in the dead middle of summer.

QFT. Don't you think that the general public will see this as "a slightly taller version of Skyrush with different trains"? I know that Skyrush is probably too intense for most people's taste and this new B&M would complement it but offride, both rides will probably be perceived similarly.

I am all for a good B&M hyper but having Skyrush, which is also my #1, seems kind of pointless, needless to say a little redundant. Then you see what CF is doing building hyper/giga combos and it doesn't seem so out of place, I guess...

Edited by oriolat

My pie-in-the-sky never-gonna-happen dream is for a giant custom S&S 4D coaster (like Eejanaika, not the free spins) for Hershey. I think that would be awesome (at least for people who like those sort of rides), but obviously it won’t ever happen.

I'm curious cause I've only been to the park in October since Skyrush opened, but does it ever draw a large crowd? The few times I've been since it has opened it was a complete walk-on, with some rows being sent out empty.

Me and my brother both kind of hate the thing, we even enjoy Wildcat a lot more. So I wouldn't be surprised if a good portion of the general public felt the same way. I understand Great Bear has slow dispatches but I don't think that's the only reason it seems to draw a much longer line than Skyrush. Maybe I'm wrong though cause as I said I've only been a few times in October so my sample size isn't too large.

The same goes for i305 at Kings Dominion, I've been there plenty of time mid summer when that's a walk-on. Although I love that ride. But I think there's a reason Cedar Fair has gone with B&M for every Giga since then. Sometimes I wonder why Intamin ever broke away from the mold of Millennium Force, Ride of Steel, GeForce, etc. Those rides were universally loved by enthusiasts and the general public alike.

Edit: Since Hyperion was mentioned above...that does look like a step back in the direction of vintage Intamin yet throwing in some modern features. I haven't ridden it but it does look great and I'd love to see one in the States.

Edited by prospekt88

I'm curious cause I've only been to the park in October since Skyrush opened, but does it ever draw a large crowd? The few times I've been since it has opened it was a complete walk-on, with some rows being sent out empty.

To be fair, in October, most of the rides there are walk-ons. When I was there last month in the middle of the week, I got three rides in a row on it during their Sweet Start early entry program. As soon as the gates opened to the GP, the station was packed and they were sending out full train after full train, with lines being approximately 30 minutes all day long according to the wait times on their app. Only Comet and Laff Track were longer, and that's due to their capacity issues.

Oh, and as for RMC, Lightning Racer at the back of the park DESPERATELY needs some life breathed into it, and with the racing/dueling aspect, I can't think of a better candidate for a conversion. Not Wildcat. Screw Wildcat. They could replace that with a Dippin Dots and I wouldn't shed a tear.

Lightning Racer last fall was 100 times better than Wildcat! Between the two, Wildcat would be the better candidate just due to how much it beats you up.

Lightning Racer would be awesome but only if they seriously invested in it by doing what RMC did with Twisted Colossus.