TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Oh, I know exactly why you said it. I just feel like it needs to be stressed because seriously... if that line is visible from outside (and it probably will be), just don't do it. If it's all contained in the building then go for it.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm not furious or very upset about it. It sucks, but whatever. But yeah.. I'm definitely a fast pass whore. I'll have my whoring covered at Kennywood on Sunday with the VIP unlimited pass. We're staying at Hershey Lodge for two nights, with the two day passes. We'll cash in on the early entry, ride as much as possible, and then take a more relaxing pace as the crowds come in. We'll be at the park on Wednesday and Thursday, so does anyone have any insight on how the crowds will be?

I don't plan on waiting anymore than 15-20 minutes for laugh track. I keep track of my credits for the hell of it, or at least anything included on coastercounter, but they're really not all that important to me. Revisits to good parks have higher priority than new credits. I'll get my 200 on this trip which means almost nothing to me.

I forgot what you guys said about Beer Man at this park. Are they really strict where I won't be able to grab 3-4 beers within a few hours during the evening, or do they care? As far as beers on tap goes, I've mostly grown out of craft brews, aside from a good lager from a local brewery. Other than the basics, they irritate my digestive condition and leave me bloated and tired. Wheat beers especially. If I do try anything aside from basic bitch lagers, I'm good for about one and then I'm on to the watered down stuff. Any suggestions for my one and done? I don't care for strong beers or IPA's.

Even though Great Bear holds a long line does it move quickly, since B&M inverts are capacity monsters? I'll definitely be sure to download the app.

Gentlemen, I greatly appreciate the advise. I'm looking forward to all three of our parks we'll be visiting next week. A day touring Pittsburgh and a day doing the Yuengling brewery tour and local sight seeing will also be great. This trip has been in the making for about three years, but Emily changing up jobs a couple times limited her vacation time. This is our second to last summer before we start 'trying' for our one and done douchebag clone. We're trying to make the most of it.

I don't think they care how much you drink, you just can't leave their stupid building and adjacent patio with the beer. The good news is that there's a nice outdoor seating area so it's not a bad place to have a few drinks unless you stay inside (in which case it's awful because it's basically a cafeteria with super weird walls around the beer tap area).

I believe they have Tröegs and Yards, both are local and I've enjoyed every beer I've had from them. They probably have Yuengling too so you can have plenty of watered down, basic bitch beer.

This is our second to last summer before we start 'trying' for our one and done douchebag clone.

Well that's one way to put it.

Hey Zach. I'm a season pass holder. I was there all day this past Monday and was able to ride every coaster (except the water coaster because we skipped that 150 minute wait) between 10 and 3. Here is my plan if you want to give it a try. A Thursday or Friday shouldn't be too much different than a Monday. Get there by 9:30 if you're not using sweet start. They start checking bags at 9:45 and the gates open at 10 promptly. Head straight back and hit Fahrenheit (should be no more than 5 to 10 minute wait). From there go back to LT (usually 15 to 20 minutes). Then go all the way to LR. It's almost always a one train wait, 2 max. After that we work our way back toward the front, riding flat rides that we really like and skipping others. When you get back to Fahrenheit go left and head to Sidewinder and SR. Then down the hill to Trailblazer. Hit the towers (almost always a 5 minute wait), GB. Your last stop will be The Hollow for SDL, Skyrush, and Comet. On Monday SR was no more than 10 minutes all day. GB got up to 45 minutes but held pretty steady at 15-20 minutes. Skyrush will die off in the afternoon so resist the urge to go there first. If you can take advantage of the preview the night before do it. You can get several rides in on whichever coaster you like except Fahrenheit and LT. If you are using sweet start do what you can but watch the time. Be at the rope drop by Reese's Extreme and go straight to Fahrenheit.

^Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

I heard Kennywood is pretty strict on their beer too, to the point where they cut you off. I know this isn't the Kennywood thread, but does anyone have any input?

And to be completely off topic, for those who wear hats at parks, where do you put them when you ride? I'm going to be getting about six days of sun, so it would be nice to cover up a couple days.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm not furious or very upset about it. It sucks, but whatever. But yeah.. I'm definitely a fast pass whore. I'll have my whoring covered at Kennywood on Sunday with the VIP unlimited pass. We're staying at Hershey Lodge for two nights, with the two day passes. We'll cash in on the early entry, ride as much as possible, and then take a more relaxing pace as the crowds come in. We'll be at the park on Wednesday and Thursday, so does anyone have any insight on how the crowds will be?

I don't plan on waiting anymore than 15-20 minutes for laugh track. I keep track of my credits for the hell of it, or at least anything included on coastercounter, but they're really not all that important to me. Revisits to good parks have higher priority than new credits. I'll get my 200 on this trip which means almost nothing to me.

I forgot what you guys said about Beer Man at this park. Are they really strict where I won't be able to grab 3-4 beers within a few hours during the evening, or do they care? As far as beers on tap goes, I've mostly grown out of craft brews, aside from a good lager from a local brewery. Other than the basics, they irritate my digestive condition and leave me bloated and tired. Wheat beers especially. If I do try anything aside from basic bitch lagers, I'm good for about one and then I'm on to the watered down stuff. Any suggestions for my one and done? I don't care for strong beers or IPA's.

Even though Great Bear holds a long line does it move quickly, since B&M inverts are capacity monsters? I'll definitely be sure to download the app.

Gentlemen, I greatly appreciate the advise. I'm looking forward to all three of our parks we'll be visiting next week. A day touring Pittsburgh and a day doing the Yuengling brewery tour and local sight seeing will also be great. This trip has been in the making for about three years, but Emily changing up jobs a couple times limited her vacation time. This is our second to last summer before we start 'trying' for our one and done douchebag clone. We're trying to make the most of it.

I agree with all that’s been said, I will add a few points.

1. After checking the app for ride time 3 times a day for 3 months only a few rides get sustained lines.

2. Hershey has very friendly loos artical polities, and provide plenty of places to store your phone or hat wile you ride (makes the app easy to live with).

3. The demo of Hershey leads to 46 inch height limit rides to get crazy lines, GB only gets lines because the gp have obsessions with inverts. 54 inch plus gets long but come down fairly quick.

4. Fast Tracks are only $49 on weekdays.

5.If you get sweet start you don’t need to rush to the back as it’s not open.Hit Skyrush and Comet before going on the normal back to front stragety.

6.I’ll be at the park July 18,19, or 20th so I have a vested interest in being right.(I’ll be the one with racing,tie dye,and/or Las Vages goalden knights shirt.)

What if the Reese's Challenge redo is throwing everyone off and they plan on RMC'ing Lightning Racer where peanut butter and chocolate race?

Yeah, it's a really dumb idea because the coaster is already awesome and Wildcat just plain sucks...but it's certainly something to ponder - hehe.

I know, I know...I'll just banish myself over to the Darien Lake thread now for a time-out and sip me some Six Flags 'Cuda Falls Kool-Aid (with double the vodka) and check back in tomorrow.

What if the Reese's Challenge redo is throwing everyone off and they plan on RMC'ing Lightning Racer where peanut butter and chocolate race?

Yeah, it's a really dumb idea because the coaster is already awesome and Wildcat just plain sucks...but it's certainly something to ponder - hehe.

I know, I know...I'll just banish myself over to the Darien Lake thread now for a time-out and sip me some Six Flags 'Cuda Falls Kool-Aid (with double the vodka) and check back in tomorrow.

Hey Zach, I was at the park for a few hours on Wednesday morning/afternoon as well and I want to mention a couple things.

1) Don't worry about rope-dropping Fahrenheit. That line moves way faster than it has any right to, especially if they're running three trains (and they were all day on Wednesday, so I can't imagine they wouldn't). I hit it up three times within the span of an hour, and that's with running down, doing Storm Runner and Sidewinder a couple of times, and coming back. I would, however, suggest hitting Laff Trakk as early as possible. If it's any later in the day and the line is longer, it's really not worth it.

2) The lack of an unlimited Fast Track at this point is not a huge deal. Apparently over the past year they have reorganized it so that instead of entering from the exit and going into dedicated seats for Fast Track purchasers, they now have you enter separate lines at the main entrance, and then merge the Fast Track line with the regular line. In almost every case that I saw, the merge points were so ludicrously far back that it's simply not worth it unless the park is completely jam-packed slammed. There was not a single case on Wednesday where purchasing the Fast Track would have given anyone any benefit. The fact that their Fast Track is one-time-only usage, AND they plan out specific times for you to be at each ride, just makes it seem like it's a complete waste of money.

3) On Wednesday, it was a beautiful day, and even with that the only rides that had more than a 15 minute wait time were Comet (45 minutes), Laff Trakk (30 minutes), and Skyrush (20 minutes). Laff Trakk's capacity sucks, Comet's ride ops were very slow, and Skyrush was pumping them out as fast as they could but there were almost always issues with people being walk-of-shamed. Crowd levels were medium; the biggest thing was that there were a number of school trips from out-of-state being bussed in, so tons of kids and teens in matching shirts. Thankfully nothing too obnoxious and I didn't witness any line-jumping (not that it was really necessary anywhere).

4) Sweet Start gets you access to Founders Way, The Hollow, and Kissing Tower Hill one hour early. For coasters, that means that Comet, Skyrush, and Sooperdooperlooper are open early. There's also a number of flat rides open during that time period but nothing that builds up big lines. When I was there on Wednesday, I got to the park a little bit late but got through the gates at 9:40, and that was still enough time for three in a row on Skyrush.

I'm sure that you'll have a great time regardless of crowd level, especially with the two day tickets and the stay at Hershey Lodge. Since you're staying at the Lodge I highly recommend getting dinner one night at The Forebay. It's an excellent upscale hotel restaurant that I've never had a bad meal at, plus their selection of chocolate martinis is great. Hoping for excellent weather for you and that you get to really enjoy the park; it's a gem.

And to be completely off topic, for those who wear hats at parks, where do you put them when you ride? I'm going to be getting about six days of sun, so it would be nice to cover up a couple days.

Assuming it’s a baseball cap, just bring an adjustable one. 99% of parks let you put your hand through it where the adjustable strap is. It’s not going anywhere when you do that.

If there are bins I usually just put whatever crap Brit wants me to hold inside the hat like a bucket and then put her hat on top of it. It’s a loose article sandwich.

Great advice, guys. I really appreciate it. Seems like solid tips without a set in stone playbook. I'm looking a lot more forward to Hershey after your input.

Assuming it’s a baseball cap, just bring an adjustable one. 99% of parks let you put your hand through it where the adjustable strap is. It’s not going anywhere when you do that.

Sounds like Knoebels will be hat day, since from the sounds of it seems like they generally let you do whatever the hell you want!

On the hat note, there are bag drops at every ride that would one (coasters, the towers, swings, etc). However in The Hollow and at Reese's Extreme they require you to get a locker. The good news is it's free for 2 hours. The bad news is, if the attendants at SDL and Comet are enforcing it, you might have to work the system a little in order to not have to pay. Just watch your time oin that area. While on the topic of lockers, when you hit up Skyrush do not take anything at all on that ride that you value in any way. Phone, hat, wallet, necklace, spare change. It will get ripped out of pockets and out grin under your rear. There was a teen girl on Monday when I rode. She managed to slip her phone past the ops somehow. When we got off she hopped out of the seat, looked down, and lost her mind when she realized that the phone was gone. Even if they staple you in the seat, you will lose anything that isn't physically attached to you.

There was a teen girl on Monday when I rode. She managed to slip her phone past the ops somehow. When we got off she hopped out of the seat, looked down, and lost her mind when she realized that the phone was gone. Even if they staple you in the seat, you will lose anything that isn't physically attached to you.

That happened to me when I went to Six Flags Great Adventure six (!!!) years ago. I was afraid that the phone of the woman who rode next to me on El Toro would come out and smack me in the face Fabio-style.

When you hit up Skyrush do not take anything at all on that ride that you value in any way. Phone, hat, wallet, necklace, spare change. It will get ripped out of pockets and out grin under your rear. There was a teen girl on Monday when I rode. She managed to slip her phone past the ops somehow. When we got off she hopped out of the seat, looked down, and lost her mind when she realized that the phone was gone. Even if they staple you in the seat, you will lose anything that isn't physically attached to you.

Yup. First two rides on Skyrush on Wednesday, no problems because there were maybe about eight people on the train. Third ride, they started letting everyone in, train filled up, and sure enough on one of the airtime hills I see a phone go sailing overhead. Never fails.

I definitely see why more parks are moving to a locker system. I've seen a lot of snapchats recorded on the map function of POVs on roller coasters and the other day at BGW I saw this kid go down the drop on Le Scoot with his phone out. I was watching a map snap that was inside of Escape from Pompeii and an employee came on the loudspeaker to put the phone away. Now I am getting worried on some rides somebody's giant Samsung Galaxy might hit me in the face.

There was a teen girl on Monday when I rode. She managed to slip her phone past the ops somehow. When we got off she hopped out of the seat, looked down, and lost her mind when she realized that the phone was gone. Even if they staple you in the seat, you will lose anything that isn't physically attached to you.

That happened to me when I went to Six Flags Great Adventure six (!!!) years ago. I was afraid that the phone of the woman who rode next to me on El Toro would come out and smack me in the face Fabio-style.

I have actually been hit in the forehead by coin or two on one of nitro's airtime hills. It wasn't pleasant, but at least it was just one and not all the six or seven the flew out of this guy's pocket.

If there are bins I usually just put whatever crap Brit wants me to hold inside the hat like a bucket and then put her hat on top of it. It’s a loose article sandwich.

at CP, we just put them down the front of our shirts.

Would a B&M wing coaster be a possibility?

I think a flyer or 4D coaster will come first.

I'd love a flyer, but if the layout some people have determined from the plans is accurate, it would be unlike any flyer layout over. Flying coasters don't tend to have an out and back layout. There is a first time for everything, though.

Speaking of guesses, I did a YouTube search to see if anyone made one in NoLimits and there was just one (at least for now).

Edit- Random thought: While looking at old aerial photos of HP, I remembered the park used to have a rapids ride. Would it be out of the realm of possibility to give the park a new one? Canyon River Rapids was removed for the second phase of the water park following the 2008 season. Most big theme parks have a rapids ride. Should HP have one (again)?

Would a B&M wing coaster be a possibility?

I think a flyer or 4D coaster will come first.

I'd love a flyer, but if the layout some people have determined from the plans is accurate, it would be unlike any flyer layout over. Flying coasters don't tend to have an out and back layout. There is a first time for everything, though.

Speaking of guesses, I did a YouTube search to see if anyone made one in NoLimits and there was just one (at least for now).

Edit- Random thought: While looking at old aerial photos of HP, I remembered the park used to have a rapids ride. Would it be out of the realm of possibility to give the park a new one? Canyon River Rapids was removed for the second phase of the water park following the 2008 season. Most big theme parks have a rapids ride. Should HP have one (again)?

Some good points. Let me counter.

1. I don’t see definitely hyper layout in the plans that have been released, but I really don’t have any alternatives to suggest. I would remind everyone that the planing documents show the area of development by 2020 not a single ride or two.

2.I do think the out and loop back(part of the plans) is probably for a coaster holder but could be for infrastructure/ leveling.

3. Project 2020 has only been given zoning for 20-40% of the zoned area, so my bet is 2022-2030 for a new river raft ride.

Going back to the discussion about phones and wallets flying off Skyrush, I’m visiting for the first time Hersheypark later this month and I’ve never been on Skyrush before. Would cargo shorts with zipper pockets be enough to keep my valuables from hitting someone or is it really that forceful?

Going back to the discussion about phones and wallets flying off Skyrush, I’m visiting for the first time Hersheypark later this month and I’ve never been on Skyrush before. Would cargo shorts with zipper pockets be enough to keep my valuables from hitting someone or is it really that forceful?

if the stuff is in a zipper pocket, how would it get out?

never heard of a coaster so forceful it can unzip a pocket