TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Based off the trends in the amusement industry it seems there's a couple of things that are inevitable for that back area of the park. 1) RMC of Wildcat and 2) Water park expansion into the Tidal Force plot. I'd be pretty surprised if in the next 4-6 years those two things haven't happened.

Wildcat just needs as much trackwork as SFA does/did on Roar (did I really just type that?). Maybe with Comet sorted they can get to it. I really liked it once it got past the grueling washboard hills at the beginning. But that would make no sense to not RMC it because it's bad, that's what the treatment's for.... Lightning Racer is still really good.

Lightning Racer is still really good.

I feel like the only people that should be touching Lightning Racer are the people at Great Coasters and / or Skyline. Even though it isn't the very best set of coasters in the world, it is an absolute masterclass of design and I feel like a Rocky Mountain renovation would ruin what makes it special.

Lightning Racer is still really good.

I feel like the only people that should be touching Lightning Racer are the people at Great Coasters and / or Skyline. Even though it isn't the very best set of coasters in the world, it is an absolute masterclass of design and I feel like a Rocky Mountain renovation would ruin what makes it special.

This!!! I couldn't agree more.

And I've often wondered about the whole Skyrush being too intense, blah blah blah thing. Would the people that are always clamoring for a Megalite feel the same way about that if one were built here??

David

I fixed this for you...

I mean, if Hershey built a giant capacity-whore B&M hyper I'd love it and I'd be thrilled that it was there but yeah... at the end of the night you can find me at Skyrush or Storm Runner wishing they'd built another kick-ass Intamin instead.

I love i305 and every other intense Intamin I’ve been on but Skyrush is straight up painful. Say I’m just a bitch but there’s a reason they spent the time and money to make restraints release on the brake run. Because they didn’t do a good job designing to fit every body type.

You have to blame Intamin a little bit when wishing there were more of their rides around also. They are a mechanical nightmare far more often than B&Ms. When a park is investing in a 20 million dollar ride sometimes you just have to go safe. If Intamin made a Skyrush with B&M clam shells that never had any operating issues at all, then yeah I’d be throwing my hands up whenever a park decided to go with B&M over Intamin also.

The “Intamins are unreliable” thing is pretty cliche by now and universally accepted but I feel like it’s sort of overblown to be honest.

Aside from some of their multi launchers (Maverick, Volcano and the Impulse coasters for example) and 400+ foot strata coasters (Kingda Ka and Dragster) I can’t really think of many Intamins that are all that unreliable.

Honestly, Hershey’s Intamin collection seems like it’s no less reliable than something like a B&M flyer or Invert.

The “Intamins are unreliable” thing is pretty cliche by now and universally accepted but I feel like it’s sort of overblown to be honest.

It totally... TOTALLY is!

And what people don't seem to understand is... going back to my car analogy... If you buy a Ferrari, that's going to require a LOT more maintenance and work done on it to keep it running than let's say if you buy a Toyota Camry that you pretty much just have to do oil changes for the first 100,000 miles.

Every time we are at a park and a B&M goes down (like the fact that Gatekeeper was down more than it was up during our last Cedar Point visit, and also how both Raptor and Valravn kept going down also) I always quote the uneducated idiots that make these false claims about how much more reliable B&Ms are then Intamins.

I think people just enjoy giving Intamin more crap for some reason, and it's completely stupid.

Lightning Rod

DC Rivals

Batwing

Steel Vengeance

Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster

Canyon Blaster

...all of these had a lot more issues than SkyRush and other Intamin's this year! The Intamin thing has been overblown since it started and nowadays is an even dumber excuse!

I can only imagine the drama and crap people would be throwing at Lightning Rod and DC Rivals right now if they had been Intamin! But for whatever reason those rides/manufacturers/parks always seem to get a pass.

Storm Runner

Fahrenheit

& Skyrush

didn't go down once, during our full day at HersheyPark, did they?

Intamins aren't any more unreliable than any other ride, just some people are dumb enough to believe some complaining enthusiasts and repeat the crap over and over.

I’m glad I’m not totally off base with that. I mean, there are unreliable Intamin rides but (like Robb said) they’re also insane (like a Ferrari).

Dragster breaks like every hour or two but it’s also running 5 trains at once with 4 different load and unload stations, tons of control panels and operator positions, trains that all move together at the same time, a launch system that makes complex mathematical calculations on how fast to launch trains based on averaging past launches, has hundreds and hundreds of brake fins that move independently of eachother and... oh yeah... it sends a train of screaming riders rocketing into the stratosphere at 120 miles per hour every 60 seconds from a dead stop.

So like... yeah, it breaks a lot when you compare it to a B&M with a chain lift. When another manufacturer builds a similar ride that works all the time then we’ll talk.

That said if you just want a hypercoaster with a lift hill like you would buy from B&M then it seems like Intamin will provide you with a perfectly reliable one also (Skyrush, Millennium Force, I305, the Superman rides, Goliath etc).

Aside from some of their multi launchers (Maverick, Volcano and the Impulse coasters for example) and 400+ foot strata coasters (Kingda Ka and Dragster) I can’t really think of many Intamins that are all that unreliable.

Honestly, Hershey’s Intamin collection seems like it’s no less reliable than something like a B&M flyer or Invert.

Lotte World pretty much owns a catalogue of Intamin flat rides and a coaster in their park and I almost never see downtime, and at the next park over in Everland with T Express I've never seen down for anything other than weather.

Edited by Garet

While a B&M hyper in the park would seem sort of redundant and wasteful to Skyrush, maybe not really, they're fairly different. More like having Nitro and El Toro in the same park, except maybe they would look a little more alike. Plus they could differentiate them more, for example go for more tall hills, and I think B&M is seeing some need to step up their game.

"Another" B&M hyper wouldn't change my plans a lot when choosing parks, but I'm sure to ride them every time I visit a park with one. They're really nice rides even if not outstanding, and night rides somehow transform them.

I don't think the length of lines for some of these more intense coasters is a good indicator of their draw. The GP simply finishes with them faster, or is more likely to chicken out once they get there, or one or two members of their party want to really ride it and the others don't.

Another Intamin would be great but if it is a B&M I would rather see HP add a Dive Machine as opposed too a hyper coaster. I love Dive Machines even though most are short. I just got back from Virginia and riding Griffon, and I remembered how much I love that first drop. Not really sure what else they could do that's 220' other than something record setting from B&M if it was a different model like a flyer or Wing.

On a side note, I have too say that I prefer Skyrush too i305. After recently riding i305 I forgot how intense it is and maybe I'm just getting old but those restraints didn't make it any better. If it had just a lap bar system it would be much better. Twisted Timbers is easily my number one at the park.

I really hope they don't build another B&M Hyper, but agree with what people said about it making the lines for SkyRush and Storm Runner shorter while the general public waits to ride the shiny new coaster all day long.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole B&M hyper speculation based solely on the fact that it's a "narrow strip of land"? And typically B&M hypers have a narrow, out-and-back layout?

You know what else can/does fit in a narrow strip of land with an out and back layout? Intamin wood coasters. And lest we forget, the last 3 big coasters HP has installed have been from Intamin. I would love it if they built one that was 200 feet tall.

I usually use a park's B&M hyper as my "after lunch, I know it won't throw me around" ride. Give me one or two rides on an Apollo's Chariot, Diamondback, Raging Bull, Behemoth, etc. in a day and I'm good, I have no desire to ride them again throughout the day. Skyrush, I305, MF on the other hand, I can't get enough of and could marathon over and over.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Some word has gotten out about the 2020 coaster most likely being a B&M hyper. This just seems weird to me because they already have Skyrush. Is that not a hypercoaster? Why do they need 2?

Intimidator and Fury 325 at Carowinds give you side eye

as do Behemoth and Leviathan (Canada's Wonderland) & TTD/MF/Magnum and Steel Vengeance (Cedar Point)

Edited by bert425

Some word has gotten out about the 2020 coaster most likely being a B&M hyper. This just seems weird to me because they already have Skyrush. Is that not a hypercoaster? Why do they need 2?

Intimidator and Fury 325 at Carowinds give you side eye

IMO I always thought it was a bit weird that Carowinds and Canada's Wonderland basically built two similar rides just 100 feet different in size from each other.

Magnum and Millennium Force IMO *feel* like totally different rides. Different manufacturers, totally different style of layout, and I never feel like going on one after the other that it just seems like the same ride but 100 feet taller.

With the B&M pairs at those two parks, those rides feel almost exactly the same to me. And yes I get that the track layout is different and the vehicle configuration is different, but not different enough to make it not immediately noticeable.

At least with Skyrush vs. a B&M Hyper, while I don't agree with it, those rides will obviously feel VERY different. Even if they were the exact same height and layout.

One of them will feel like it is trying to murder you.

The other will feel like it wants to have a cup of tea with you.

Edited by robbalvey

I really will never understand the Skyrush hate. It is by far the craziest hyper coaster I’ve ever ridden. The only hyper that comes close is SuperMan:The Ride which is surprise....Another Intamin.

The only B&M I’ll go out of my way for are Inverts or any other pre 2003 B&M.

At least with Skyrush vs. a B&M Hyper, while I don't agree with it, those rides will obviously feel VERY different. Even if they were the exact same height and layout.

One of them will feel like it is trying to murder you.

The other will feel like it wants to have a cup of tea with you.