TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

And like... 5 of the best. Imagine for a moment if Cedar Fair or Six Flags announced one year that they were opening a giant custom Intamin, B&M, Premier, GCI and RMC. Its kind of insane when you think about it.

This looks like a really fun ride.

More importantly I guess there's no Wild Arctic refresh (as was originally rumored) so Norm the Snowman Miller and "White Thunder" live on to take us on another journey through Beluga Star Tours (with whisper mode enabled of course).

Edited by coasterbill

I was just at the park yesterday and so many people were watching the shows! I noticed the animal shows are still extremely popular, and most of the GP has forgotten about the Blackfish scandal. I think SeaWorld’s advertisements of rescuing 31,000 animals and using the animals as a means to learn about them scientifically is working wonders for the shows. You can tell the trainers really care about the animals.

As far as the new 2020 ride Ice Breaker, any new coaster is a win in my book, especially one in the Arctic area, which would help pull crowds back to that side of the park. The lower height requirements help Ice Breaker to be that “stepping stone” coaster between Super Grover and something more intense like Kraken. And I love the colors and the theme of the ride. Great job SeaWorld!

I was just at the park yesterday and so many people were watching the shows! I noticed the animal shows are still extremely popular, and most of the GP has forgotten about the Blackfish scandal.

I'm not sure about all that. I still hear people bring it up in everyday life all the time. Now are those people who would have gone to the park who are no longer going to the park? Who knows. I can't keep up with the attendance figures, but I do recall the last figure I heard said Seaworld was still down in attendance. Whether all of that stems back to Blackfish is hard to say at this point, I think. Economics is very complicated and it's impossible to point to one and only one causation.

Whether Blackfish is still causing them issues or not, hyping up record-breaking coasters can't be a bad thing at all for them.

The new coaster looks awesome! We love Sea World's shows and made a point to see all of them when we visited this summer (San Antonio park). They're so well done and really feature the animals as the stars of the show. My girls are already asking when we can go back...and it will be to the Orlando park.

Sea World is fun, y'all. Get yourselves to Sea World.

I'm loving the look and expected experience of Ice Breaker! SWO just keeps getting better and better! It was already in my Top 5 parks, and that was before Infinity Falls, and now this! Once again, SEAS are just on FIRE lately, and show no signs of slowing down!

One thing I'm a little confused about, are the references to "diving" and "predatory heights". That led me (and many others) to think it'd be called Gyrfalcon, which completely fit the arctic theme, and both those hints. This name though, doesn't seem to imply any of that... Maybe I missed it somewhere in the extended announcement...

At any rate, this is another spectacular addition to the park, and it's hard to believe that by the time my kids and I get back to SWO and BGT next year (hopefully!), after having just been to each park April of last year, they will have two new major attractions each! Very impressive!

EDITED for misspelling "Gyrfalcon"

Edited by DILinator

One thing I'm a little confused about, are the references to "diving" and "predatory heights". That led me (and many others) to think it'd be called Gyrfaclon, which completely fit the arctic theme, and both those hints. This name though, doesn't seem to imply any of that... Maybe I missed it somewhere in the extended announcement...

Thank someone who has a lot of power who did not want the ride named after a bird. The new name leaves a lot to be desired. Regardless I think we can all agree this ride will be fun. Not to mention needed at this park since they are lacking a middle ground coaster between the big 3 and their kiddie coaster.

I thought SeaWorld would have learned their lessons about artist renderings with Antarctica... but alas, people will think this ride will literally come down a mountain. And go through water. And then wait 6 hours and complain that it's nothing like the picture. (I opened Antarctica, so... yeah)

Anyway, looks cool! I'll be there in 2020 between this and the Iron alligator thing nearby.

I see what you did there heh

I could see this "How come it's still hot as a Florida summer's day when the picture showed snow???:

• 1 month later...

SeaWorld Orlando has sent us a press release about this year's Christmas Celebration event, featuring the return of favorites like Rudolph's ChristmasTown and O Wondrous Night along with a new dining experience!

108399966_WinterWonderlandonIce.thumb.jpg.948130774770e56da954627c14a63c09.jpg

Gather your family and meet your festive friends at SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration, taking place from November 23 through December 31. For five weeks only, the park is transforming into a winter wonderland with more than 3 million sparkling lights. Experience award-winning entertainment, from the ALL-NEW Sesame Street Christmas Parade to seasonal shows like O Wondrous Night; rub noses with Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer; or head to Wild Arctic and visit Santa himself. Also NEW this year, park-goers have the added chance to dine with jolly ol’ Saint Nick over a sumptuous holiday meal with the help of his Kitchen Elves. Don’t miss the unforgettable Christmas Celebration you can only find at SeaWorld.

Holiday Shows

Returning for another year of festive fun, guests can immerse themselves in the story of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer at Rudolph’s ChristmasTown. Stroll past life-size story book vignettes featuring the classic tale, and meet beloved characters including: Rudolph, Clarice, Bumble and Yukon Cornelius.

In O Wondrous Night, enjoy a live nativity complete with more than 30 carols, life-sized puppets and animals in a spectacular Christmas favorite based on The Christmas Story. Told through the eyes of the animals that were there, O Wondrous Night is a touching, light-hearted and glorious musical with a host of angels, animals and the true glory of Christmas.

Experience the power and beauty of killer whales in our nighttime holiday show: Miracles. From the sweeping vocal majesty of a unique soundtrack to the visual majesty of SeaWorld’s killer whales, Miracles will take you on a stirring voyage into the heart of the holidays.

Finally, Christmas comes to life on a stage of ice, jewels and lights as skaters dazzle and delight in a show-stopping, ice skating extravaganza. A sea of sparkling trees and towering fountains dancing in the background come together to create a don’t-miss experience for the holidays that the entire family will enjoy.

Special Events

As part of SeaWorld's transformation into a winter wonderland, don't miss the all-new Sesame Street® Christmas Parade, with fantastic floats decorated for the celebration. Excitement is also running high for Sea Lion High’s Christmas pageant, join the students and faculty of Sea Lion High for their hilarious new Christmas Special.

Sights to See

Take a stroll through a wintery, watery wonderland immersed in a sea of twinkling holiday trees that sparkle to music as they light up the water. Dazzling images come to life on over 100 trees, including a giant glistening centerpiece that towers 70 feet above the water. Walk along the water’s edge for some holiday shopping at the Shoppes at Waterfront as a magical flurry of snow falls over SeaWorld Orlando while holiday sounds and smells fill the air.

SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration Offerings – Event Days: Nov. 23-25, 29, Dec. 1-2, 6-9, 13-16, 20-31

Be sure to stop by Santa’s North Pole Village, where Santa’s Little Helpers are the furriest friends you’ll ever meet! Join Santa’s elves and this festive team of adopted dogs, cats, birds, rats and even pigs as they work together, play together, and create heart-warming holiday memories in an all-new SeaWorld Pets Ahoy experience. Guests of all ages can also share wishes and dreams with Santa Claus while exploring SeaWorld’s Wild Arctic this Christmas. Experience amazing animal encounters and a heart-warming visit with Santa in a holiday adventure.

Next, nestled along the park’s Bayside Pathway, The Christmas Market features festive entertainment and delicious culinary delights. Complete with playful elves, a charming model train village and seasonal entertainment, the market is the centerpiece of SeaWorld’s Christmas event. Plus, relaxation is in order near the warm glow of the fire pit with a holiday cocktail while experiencing a wonderful view of the vibrant Sea of Trees.

Just Around the Corner

Ring in the New Year at SeaWorld Orlando on December 31 as vibrant fireworks fill the night sky at midnight. After experiencing the wonder of SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration and New Year’s, keep the spirit of the season burning bright at SeaWorld’s Three Kings Celebration January 4 – 6, 2020. Families are invited to help commemorate the arrival of the Three Wise Men with authentic festive cuisine and celebratory experiences held in honor of the cherished tradition of Latin cultures.

Best Way to Enjoy the Holiday Cheer

The best way to experience SeaWorld's Christmas Celebration and New Year’s with family and friends is with a SeaWorld Orlando Annual Pass or Fun Card. For a limited time, Florida residents can become a Pass Member for as low as $10.25 per month, with offer ending on December 3. Pass Members receive park benefits and rewards, including priority access to new attractions, FREE parking, in-park discounts and much more. And for those guests who prefer the Fun Card, should they purchase a 2020 Fun Card, they can enjoy the rest of 2019 for FREE.

For more information, park hours and to purchase tickets, visit SeaWorldOrlando.com.

Follow SeaWorld on Facebook, Instagram and the SeaWorld Orlando Blog for the latest Christmas Celebration details and information. Join the conversation using #SeaWorldChristmas.

2081265695_OWondrousNight.thumb.jpg.d3e73ccd41db98bf835a8e3bb85f8300.jpg

1027066599_HolidayHotCocoaGroupShot.thumb.jpg.d8b1a44bd93cd692221a5f7f49ca0396.jpg

784280403_SeaofTrees.thumb.jpeg.38c5733b0970cb7fb7dc26e5bcf62828.jpeg

70657437_SesameStreetChristmas.thumb.jpeg.912158495c50dba3e5d2362dbe235878.jpeg

1042768635_RudolphsChristmasTown.thumb.png.d50c21ddcc9b79688749c1a52e2a6e9f.png

• 2 weeks later...

Aquatica Orlando has announced that their newest attraction, Riptide Race will open at the park in 2020. This will be the first dueling water slide to open in Florida!

riptiderace.thumb.JPG.cde7eb9a0c6e8492573f538b33a4cb47.JPG

Aquatica Orlando, voted Orlando’s No. 1 waterpark, is racing into 2020 with a one-of-a-kind new park attraction that will thrill park-goers—Florida’s first-ever dueling water slide, Riptide Race.

Starting atop a 68-foot tower, riders will be able to grab a raft and take their mark in side-by-side racing lanes at top speeds. Each raft holds a team of two, so every rider will have a partner as they plunge toward a hopeful victory. Plus, Riptide Race rafts feature low walls to ensure full view of the competition. Dueling face-to-face, racers will navigate tight loops and accelerations through indoor and outdoor sections. It’s a marathon to the finish through nearly 650 feet of splashing slide!

“Riptide Race will offer a ride experience you won’t be able to get anywhere else in Florida. Aquatica will be the first waterpark in the state to have a thrilling, and more importantly, dueling water slide,” said David Heaton, Aquatica Orlando vice president. “Riptide Race is the perfect addition to our attraction portfolio, complementing what is already one of the most family friendly waterslide lineups in Orlando.”

Riptide Race will have a height requirement of 42 inches to appeal to families with children, and the new slide will be conveniently located on the north side of the park next to Banana Beach Cook Out.

The best way to experience Aquatica is with an Aquatica Orlando Annual Pass or Fun Card. Guests can become Aquatica Annual Pass holders for as little as $9.25 per month, offer ends December 3, and enjoy 12 months of visits and receive park benefits and rewards including FREE parking, priority access to ride Riptide Race in 2020, in-park discounts and much more. Or, guests can purchase a Fun Card which provides unlimited access to the park for the entire 2020 operating season for only $76.99 – Buy a Fun Card now and get the rest of the 2019 operating season for FREE¹. For more information, visit AquaticaOrlando.com.

Assemble your squad and get ready to turn up the fun at Aquatica in 2020. Get the latest updates on Riptide Race by following Aquatica on Facebook, Instagram and the SeaWorld Blog.

...people will think this ride will literally come down a mountain. And go through water.

Wait... so it doesn’t do all this???

Dumbest ride ever.

I can see why it doesn’t. They need to differentiate a bit from the amazing ride next door where you hop aboard White Thunder and do all of those things with amazing realism, all with whisper mode engaged!

What are crowds like on Sat & Sun nights in early December? The park is open till 10pm & 9pm and I'd like to marathon the B&Ms with minimal lines - do they keep the rides open till closing time?

The park will be busy with Christmas Celebration going on. However, most of the coaster lines are generally low since most are there for the shows and Christmas festivities, usually. Be prepared for possible one train ops on Mako if there isn't much of a line, they are notorious for that (a home park, so I know).

I love it. If the POV is accurate it could be a fairly compact ride with some nice air. I like the shuttling aspect too, looks like a fun solid ride.

I've not been here in ages. Kraken was the only coaster. It was quite good though. With the good reviews I hear about Manta and Mako, now this...SeaWorld may have one solid lineup. Would say it may take best in FL BUT there is a huge RMC opening not so far away. But yeah good year for FL parks.

Would say it may take best in FL BUT there is a huge RMC opening not so far away. But yeah good year for FL parks.

I really enjoy Mako, but even before Iron Gwazi, I still think that Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has the best coaster lineup in Florida.