TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^&^^Spring Breaks in this country run from beginning of March to end of April, hopefully you'll see some extended Fantastic shows during that time but the parks will also be slightly more crowded than normal.

Lucas - That week is San Diego schools Spring Break, but not LAUSD so that's ok for you.

^&^^Spring Breaks in this country run from beginning of March to end of April, hopefully you'll see some extended Fantastic shows during that time but the parks will also be slightly more crowded than normal.

Yeah, that's the tradeoff we had to make. I've already pulled him out of school once for an extended Christmas vacation already, so I'm pretty much limited to the spring break days he has off, which in NY is from April 9th through the 17th. We're gonna be hitting up as many parks and attractions as we can while we're out there because this is most likely going to be a once-in-a-lifetime thing for us.

NYC always has the latest Spring Breaks!

I grew up in central Jersey and we shared a very similar schedule. Back in the 90s they still had winter, so an early spring break was a bad idea. These days, though, it's 65 degrees in January and February, so who really cares when they take a week off?

I had a VERY PACKED three days (Friday - Sunday) last weekend that I'm mostly recovered from

We had brunch at lamplight lounge all three days! Longest we had to wait was 30 min on Sunday, but we were able to go on Little Mermaid / wander around until the return text came back. I believe you offically have 10 min to get back to your table.

I love star wars land! The photopass people hidden around the land is super fun, the food and snacks (and drinks!) are good, and it doesn't feel "crowded". There seems to be places to chill throughout the land, and both big rides are easy to get to without fighting though a huge crowd.

The Frozen show was great, all the lead performers were good, and I loved the actor playing the king.

No one else with me made it to World of Color with Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration, but I loved it!

Rise of the Resistance is def the best! Hopefully they get it running well enough that when I make it back, I can just wait an hour and a half in line

^ So you did the Stand By for RoTR attraction? And not use a Boarding Group? Or am I reading this wrong?

We don't have cell phones ~ at ~ all , so this might be interesting info.

And Lamplighter Lounge is a very awesome place to go! (We loved their potato skins.)

IMG_1163.JPG.067ff8333e5496dbb425544475cb128b.JPG

The yummy skins.

IMG_1164.JPG.ba469d099f9bdd62d14d5d21cda7c3de.JPG

And of course, great cocktails as well. (Sept.12/19)

Still boarding group only, we got 74 on Saturday when I was a little slow but with no hiccups.

Sunday I didn't do the "try to make a fastpass with Maxpass" part and ended up with 107. I had to back out of the one screen, get the first Maxpass screen where you pick the people in your group, then go back to the "get the boarding group" screen.

People where in line near Star Tours to get a boarding group in person, I was on my phone by Astro Orbiter and people where definitely cheering from over there!

The boarding group kiosks are tied to the same system and I don't believe they are any reserved JUST for the kiosk. They won't be of any help if you're not in the park before open and one of the first to use them.

Trying to decide between visiting on March 29th, 30th, or 31st. Realistically, is there going to be any major difference in crowds between these 3 days?

imo, sundays are better than mondays. but it's mostly packed every day. even this week, tues-thur didn't have the low of the previous two weeks. once 5pm comes around, locals pour into the parks. so do as much as you can early. if you can rope drop, even better.

but i think you'll be in the middle of a lot of school's spring break. so expect massive crowds any of those days.

Anyone think there'd be a time between Valentines and Spring Break where crowds would be smaller? My wife just got a nice bonus check from work and now we have a perfect excuse to make a Disney trip.

Pretty soon I'll be in So Cal, I'm arriving the 16th and leaving the night of the 21st to be exact. The original plan was to visit Magic Mountain the 16th, 17th, and 18th, and then Knotts on the rest of the days. I'm not a Disney kind of person at all. I'm a thrill seeker, but I love Star Wars and I think I would enjoy the new ride plus that Millennium Falcon ride. And while there I guess I could check out their other coasters. Matterhorn Bobsleds is something I've always wanted to get on because of the history.

Anyway, what is the best way to "do" Disneyland? I will be alone, and I'm guessing Wednesday the 19th would be the best day to go that week... Should I buy the 2 park hopper on the website for $145? Or is there a better/cheaper place to get tickets? I see that for an extra $15 they sell what looks like a fast pass, is it worth it? Also, are there any other attractions besides the coasters that are at least somewhat thrilling?

Thanks!

Pretty soon I'll be in So Cal, I'm arriving the 16th and leaving the night of the 21st to be exact. The original plan was to visit Magic Mountain the 16th, 17th, and 18th, and then Knotts on the rest of the days. I'm not a Disney kind of person at all. I'm a thrill seeker, but I love Star Wars and I think I would enjoy the new ride plus that Millennium Falcon ride. And while there I guess I could check out their other coasters. Matterhorn Bobsleds is something I've always wanted to get on because of the history.

Anyway, what is the best way to "do" Disneyland? I will be alone, and I'm guessing Wednesday the 19th would be the best day to go that week... Should I buy the 2 park hopper on the website for $145? Or is there a better/cheaper place to get tickets? I see that for an extra $15 they sell what looks like a fast pass, is it worth it? Also, are there any other attractions besides the coasters that are at least somewhat thrilling?

Thanks!

I liked Knotts a lot but I really think it's a 1 park day. The $15 maxpass is 100% worth it at Disney.

Trying to decide between visiting on March 29th, 30th, or 31st. Realistically, is there going to be any major difference in crowds between these 3 days?

imo, sundays are better than mondays.

Significantly?

often noticeably, but it's still very crowded both days.

how quick do the RotR groups actually fill up? I've heard some people say numbers like 3-5 seconds, while others say 45-60 seconds, which is a big difference.

You can practice from home. Get the app and try to get a BG right at park open. If it doesn't say "Estimated Land Wait: Backup Group" then you're probably good. Obviously once you get to what would be the confirmation page it will tell you that you're not in the park, but you'll get a feel for how long they last and what the process is.

I guarantee that they're not gone in 5 seconds, that's probably just Californians bragging about how awesome they are for miraculously defying all odds and getting one. 45-60 seconds is more likely. Yesterday they didn't hit backups for 7 minutes but it seems like 45-60 seconds is the average which is PLENTY of time to hit like 3 buttons.

Edited by coasterbill

how quick do the RotR groups actually fill up? I've heard some people say numbers like 3-5 seconds, while others say 45-60 seconds, which is a big difference.

I was there this past Tuesday and Wednesday. 3-5 seconds is most certainly an exaggeration. My wife and I were slow with the process, since it was our first time (we had 8 tickets linked to our app, but only 4 of us were there for the Early Magic Hour, so our mistake slowed things down). It took us a little over a minute, and we were backup group 93. We rode at 5:30 that day. On the second day (yesterday), we knew what we were doing and had group 23 after 15 seconds or so. So, no, boarding groups don't get filled up in a few seconds. It seems that its more like a minute before it goes to backup groups.

:lol: It might take them even longer since you have to immediately reserve a Boarding Group and Radiator Springs Racers on Maxpass (though I think you can actually do that earlier than official park open right?).

I've always had my Radiator Springs Fastpass in hand a half hour before official park opening once they let you into the park. I'm guessing those are available immediately once you scan in.

You can practice from home. Get the app and try to get a BG right at park open. If it doesn't say "Estimated Land Wait: Backup Group" then you're probably good. Obviously once you get to what would be the confirmation page it will tell you that you're not in the park, but you'll get a feel for how long they last and what the process is.

I guarantee that they're not gone in 5 seconds, that's probably just Californians bragging about how awesome they are for miraculously defying all odds and getting one. 45-60 seconds is more likely. Yesterday they didn't hit backups for 7 minutes but it seems like 45-60 seconds is the average which is PLENTY of time to hit like 3 buttons.

I don't think that was an exaggeration the opening week when they opened main street 2hrs before park open each day. Now that things have normalized, I'm sure it has gotten better and 45-60 seems about right.

Still think they should just call this the soft open if they have a 3hr standby queue they aren't using...

Edited by Jew

Went to DCA and DL last weekend with a small group and had a blast. Did DCA on Friday and DL on Saturday.

For a less successful ROTR anecdote: Saturday was a bad day to try and get on ROTR, and I should have known this (being a weekend and all). I had stayed up way too late the night before at DCA, and the night before that preparing for the trip. So I got up kind of late. I didn’t get into the security line until 7:35 am, and didn’t get into the park itself until 8:09 am. I managed to get group 138. Nobody else from my group was in the park yet, as they were staying at a different location than I was and were also really tired.

Anyway, they stopped boarding at group 130, so I didn’t make it. They also stopped boarding at around 10 pm instead of going until closing. I’m not sure if this was due to the evening shows or not. I still had a really great time, but if I can get back there again anytime soon, I’m getting there way earlier.

On the Sunday of President's Day weekend, we got group #130. But the ride was having a pretty good day... they were up to the 50's by 10:30am. It seemed to have a hiccup around 11 or noon as it stayed in the 50's for about 90 minutes, but after that, it flew. It was up to 80 by 1:30, 110 by 5:30, our our group 130 was called in at 6:30. Appears groups went as high at 156 by 8:30pm, then seemed to stop, so I figure that's how high it went that day. But to get to 156 by 8:30pm seemed pretty good, especially with a mid-day breakdown (park was open until midnight).