TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

My Disney trip is about 16 days. I will be getting max pass. This is my first time to Disneyland. Any tips to make my time more enjoyable.

Whats the best time to hit Galaxy s edge? First thing in the morning or end of the night.

Awesome! How many days will you be there? Galaxy’s Edge is great during day and night. Smugglers Run’s shortest line is rope drop but longest line is shorty after. The line dies down to 30 minutes at times, so just watch the App. Single rider is very fast, but you usually get stuck being an Engineer, which can be boring, yet good to view the entire experience. MaxPass is the bomb. Reserving via your phone is so handy and easy. Make sure your phone is charged though and save battery! We used two phones, one for pics and the other MaxPass. You’ll find yourself with multiple reservations, it’s so efficient.

I can go on and on. For Disney Geeks, they are offering tours of Walt’s apartment once again. It’s pricey at $115 each but worth it if that’s your thing. Here is my wife and I last week inside the hallowed ground.

B0CAADA1-AB5A-4982-BBBC-0869902E2B73.thumb.jpeg.2d8262dc9d15146106cbe2852877e0fb.jpeg

In Galaxy's Edge, both Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo and Ronto's Roasters offer some pretty good food and Docking Bay has a lot of space to sit down and enjoy your food and drink. And they're practically next door to each other, too.

IMG_0988aDM.JPG.340e477decd2f9fa7f0572855475b30e.JPG

Ronto's menu.

IMG_0988c.JPG.00c6b8fd74e4a26dc77e9df5db3bf4db.JPG

We (shared and) enjoyed the Wrap. The Meiloorin Juice was nice, too.

IMG_1389.JPG.cfba9f52c19aafa91d875e5f7af41916.JPG

The Kaadu Ribs (sticky pork) and the Tip-yip Salad (chicken) at Docking Bay were great, as well.

IMG_1429.JPG.f9632ddfdb589aa1093755cf27bb4e9b.JPG

One section of the Docking Bay 7 Food & Cargo eating area.

BIG P.S!

If you really REALLY want to get the DOLE WHIP at the stall in Adventureland (front of Tiki Room) DO NOT GO THERE. Go past it, and when you can turn left, do it. You'll enter the new Terrace they've opened AND have not one but several Dole Whips to have and enjoy. Big Happy New Discovery of ours.

We couldn't believe the lineup at the original spot, and we actually told a couple about the new place, just after we spotted them leaving the queue in disgust - because of The Queue's Length. They were most thankful to learn that. And when we were in the Jungle Cruise queue, we saw them exiting the place, with a Big Bowl of the stuff, sharing. It was sweet.

IMG_1024.JPG.8c6e0f6333d217c283dc3e99b6b6a722.JPG

And there's a big sign up there on the roof that sorta tells you, too. (o;

IMG_1025.JPG.3f68beed8f6d91a092bf65cd48646f7b.JPG

From one of our three visits there. A "Swirl."

Any must try foods for Disneyland? I want to get Walt's Chili.

Dole Whip (I prefer the float version), is the only must when visiting Disneyland. The Monte Cristo sandwich at Cafe Orleans is popular, but it’s too rich and filling for me. The themed drinks at Trader Sam’s are fun! The best meal I had was dinner at Steakhouse 55 in the Disneyland Hotel. Everything seemed great in that place. The Overnight Oats in Galaxy’s Edge was a tasty and light breakfast.

Any must try foods for Disneyland? I want to get Walt's Chili.

Just a question but, where in Disneyland (or DCA) does one find Walt's Chili?

I have no idea, so I thought I'd ask.

IMG_1081.JPG.5598ba1c60c91b321cd67db3b0dad3a5.JPG

We did have the Monte Cristo Sandwich and Jambalaya in the Blue Bayou, and both were delicious! Sept.09/19.

^ Oh cool. We took a look inside it, but didn't eat there.

and this description...

Main Street courtyard restaurant featuring American comfort-food dishes inspired by Walt Disney.

We're so used to what Disneyland Paris has (the in-the-back enclosed Arcades), that it's a bit of a challenge to accomplish the same thing in Disneyland. It can be done, but there are a few obstacles (like the Cafe) that block a through-line in the Disney shops. The same happens on the other side with the Marketplace, but it has a back entry from a shop, so that's good.

CarnationCafe.jpg.7ab32b647bc7604d123a2f213c021a7b.jpg

Photo by mouseinfo.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I'm taking my first visit to Disneyland since high school grad night (I don't recommend that) 25 years ago. The main reason is to take my daughters (ages 8 and 9), who have never been before. We'll be going mid-week in February to avoid the crowds (2/11 & 2/12). I'm hopeful that those will be dead days at the park. I do have a question regarding accommodations. We will be staying on property, as we want to have the full experience. I'm trying to decide between the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier (Grand Californian is just too expensive for us). So, my question: What's the difference between the two hotels? I see that they both offer the early entry, and DH is 1/10 mile closer to the gates than PP. However, I'm not sure what other differences there are (aside from what I just mentioned, and the price). I'm leaning towards DH, simply because of the history. But, I'd like to see if the higher price than PP is worth it. Any insights you all can give would be most appreciated. Thank you.

-Doug

• 2 weeks later...
^ and ^^, thanks for the advice. I booked the Disneyland Hotel last week. The history was what convinced me. Thanks for the advice. I'm very excited about the trip (even if the Haunted Mansion will be closed for an extended rehab).

You won't be disappointed. The remodel they did really took the rooms from dated to Disney deluxe quality.

Holiday Question: was any Holiday Decorating done, of any kind/type/etc. in/on Galaxy's Edge?

Thought I would ask, thanks.

IMG_0939.JPG.a49beefb770362f70b21e4b15f5e10b2.JPG

This starts in early Sept. and lasts thru December. Taken Sept.09/19.

Holiday Question: was any Holiday Decorating done, of any kind/type/etc. in/on Galaxy's Edge?

Thought I would ask, thanks.

I was going to make a comment or joke about the (apparently hated) Star Wars Holiday Special but I don't know enough about Star Wars to come up with anything.

Again, I have no knowledge of the Star Wars universe outside of seeing some of the films, I'd assume if they want to keep Galaxy Edge as immersive as it is, they'd have to use that as a basis but if it's that hated they might just avoid it altogether.

Well I mean... did Jesus die for the sins of earthlings specifically or was this like a galaxy-wide deal? Maybe the residents of Batuu got shafted and they're salty about it.

Even Robot Santa and Bender could tell you Christmas is galaxy-wide. Unfortunately, you have been very naughty.

images.jpeg.872c33aef907950038a8b481179d4edb.jpeg

I was going to make a comment or joke about the (apparently hated) Star Wars Holiday Special but I don't know enough about Star Wars to come up with anything.

Well, if you can stomach it, here's the full special -

And if you can't stomach it, this video bottles it down to 13 minutes of the most notorious parts -

I've watched it twice at this point in my life. Once when I was much younger, and once a year ago under the influence of significant amounts of alcohol. I regret nothing.

Well I mean... did Jesus die for the sins of earthlings specifically or was this like a galaxy-wide deal? Maybe the residents of Batuu got shafted and they're salty about it.

hesrightyouknow.jpg.3a51e4874a24b7e21de8035acd1cee14.jpg

Thanks to whoever you are, in tiny print, for this.