TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

For those who have now been in the place... do you think the four hours allotment for this first opening period, will be enough (for now) for those to get (at least) one Falcon ride in, and/or then eating and buying and "sight seeing" everywhere?

Just curious, thanks.

incredible immersion by Disney (the attention to detail is pretty mind blowing), and some fantastic pics and video Robb and Team TPR.

looks like y'all had a great time, and even tho I'm not a big Star Wars fan, I look forwards to visiting this in upcoming years.

For those who have now been in the place... do you think the four hours allotment for this first opening period, will be enough (for now) for those to get (at least) one Falcon ride in, and/or then eating and buying and "sight seeing" everywhere?

Just curious, thanks.

This is a difficult questions to answer, because we do not know how many people Disney plans on letting in for every reservation period and day. It could be increasing as we get closer to the actual opening. That being said, when I went on June 1st, there was plenty of time for all of that. We did food, shopping (in the market), pictures, cantina, Falcon (Single Rider). With maybe 15-20 minutes to spare. The issues that people will run into are the things with the lines: Ogas Cantina, Savi's Workshop, Dok-Ondar's, and Droid Depot. You're likely only going to have to choose 1 or 2 because they will cut off lines at some point.

Again, this is only for the reservation period, after that you're welcome to stand in all the lines you want!

There’s no way you’ll get a chance to see everything in the 4 hour window. However, you can definitely eat, ride (multiple times), and do at least one of the droid/lightsaber/cantina.

I don't know if it's credible, but one twitter account was claiming that after that opening weekend, they are now taking text reservations for the Cantina. If true, it'd be like a restaurant: you check in, given them your number, and when they're ready to seat you, you get a text. That way you're free to enjoy other shopping and whatnot instead of wasting your time in that line.

If it's not true, it ought to be. If others visit in the near future, confirmation would be welcome. I'd also appreciate confirmation if they're allowing multiple rides on SR, or instead marking your wristband and only allowing one ride.

^ Except in the Cantina, there's hardly any seating at all in there. From what I've seen in video tours of it. Mostly stand up. So texting a reservation to stand in a bar? Well ok, if that's what you want to do. And when Resistance finally opens, that should (maybe?) change the queuing times for other stuff like Cantina. Then again, Peter Pan is still pop-u-lar, with big queues, after all these years.

I don't know if it's credible, but one twitter account was claiming that after that opening weekend, they are now taking text reservations for the Cantina. If true, it'd be like a restaurant: you check in, given them your number, and when they're ready to seat you, you get a text. That way you're free to enjoy other shopping and whatnot instead of wasting your time in that line.

If it's not true, it ought to be. If others visit in the near future, confirmation would be welcome. I'd also appreciate confirmation if they're allowing multiple rides on SR, or instead marking your wristband and only allowing one ride.

That is true, but they only take a limited amount of parties per timeslot. I had to wait 15 min in line to get added, then it was 2 hours before I got my text to return. And this was the first thing I did in the land for my 8am-12pm timeslot yesterday.

I was told that they stopped taking reservations somewhere between 8:30 and 9:00am that morning.

You will absolutely need to head straight for the cantina to get your spot.

Lightsaber experience was full by 8:30am that morning too.

So you’re picking your priority. I don’t see that ever changing.

Edited by Jew

So texting a reservation to stand in a bar? Well ok, if that's what you want to do.

I mean, I'd rather be texted and do other things to stand in the bar, rather than stand in line for 2+ hours only to stand MORE in the bar, so...

Keep in mind this is somewhat historic: the only place us “normal” folk can drink at Disneyland. DJ Rex is also my new favorite thing at Disneyland.

That being said, Disney made a huge error in underestimating the popularity of it. Max capacity can’t be more than 150-200, and you certainly aren’t leaving immediately after getting your drinks. I can’t foresee it ever going away from some sort of reservation system.

Side note: I do hope this is the beginning of the end for no alcohol in Disneyland. Tradition is holding the park back. Walt’s dead and the world has changed a whole lot since his view of “family friendly” was envisioned.

Keep in mind this is somewhat historic: the only place us “normal” folk can drink at Disneyland. DJ Rex is also my new favorite thing at Disneyland.

That being said, Disney made a huge error in underestimating the popularity of it. Max capacity can’t be more than 150-200, and you certainly aren’t leaving immediately after getting your drinks. I can’t foresee it ever going away from some sort of reservation system.

Side note: I do hope this is the beginning of the end for no alcohol in Disneyland. Tradition is holding the park back. Walt’s dead and the world has changed a whole lot since his view of “family friendly” was envisioned.

I don't care about what Walt originally thought or tradition but holding the park back from what exactly? Sure they would make some more money if the sold alcohol but it's not like they aren't making a ton of money as it is or having poor crowds. Plus if you have a park hopper you can walk right across to California Adventure and find plenty of booze there or take the monorail to downtown Disney and find plenty there too so it's not like the resort is completely alcohol free.

^ Still, it's nice to be a part of an actual historic change in policy for the original park. Disney Park fans will definitely note that. But if the queuing etc for even having one cocktail in the the Cantina is too much...you are right, there are plenty of other options just across the plaza and in the Disney Village, and even in the Disneyland Hotel (Trader Sam's!*).

*Which I hope we'll be visiting, when we're there, in September, the week after Labor Day weekend/week.

p.s. FYI, you have Disneyland Paris Resort to thank (from what I've known since 1992), for allowing both alcohol into all the Magic Kingdoms (and everywhere else), and male cast members allowing facial hair to be 'worn', whatever the heck that meant., lol. But now you see male cast members everywhere in the Disney Parks World with moustaches and/or beards etc. in all the parks. It's a nice change. And the booze, too.

IMG_9547.JPG.e81ddc91a8bb78f682882d220691285b.JPG

Myself and David in the (then named) Blue Lagoon Restaurant, Disneyland Paris, saluting

their allowance of cocktails (which we got later on) ..... with our water glasses ~ Sept.2002.

Disneyland as a whole is a park stuck very much in the 1950s with its design because people are so tied to “history”, “tradition,” “Walt’s legacy”...blah blah blah.

It’s not just alcohol. It took them until Star Wars to figure out they needed to widen walkways. Main Street is a clusterf*ck for parades and fireworks because the area has far outgrown its intended capacity. It’s time to stop being so hung up on history and Walt’s legacy.

But back to alcohol, I’m well aware of what I can do by drinking in DCA or downtown Disney. Doesn’t mean it isn’t dumb to adhere to a tradition that makes no sense in 2019. I would MUCH prefer to have an alcohol mint julep or dole whip in the park than have to go elsewhere. Plus as a shareholder I want them making every last dollar.

Edited by Jew

Trader Sam’s (at least in Orlando) operates exactly the same way. They text you when it’s your time and when you go in there’s no guarantee of a seat. We had no issues with that system.

Not quite the same since there is no outdoor patio to get the drinks in the land. This is one 150ish capacity bar that almost every visitor to Disneyland wants into. Perhaps it was intentional to make it such a “hot” place to be, but I really can’t fathom why they didn’t think to make the cantina much larger.

I predict we’ll see a resistance camp bar of some sort added to that side of the land when rise of the resistance opens to help offset the capacity of ogas.

I don't drink, so it wouldn't bother me too much not to get into the Cantina.... except I totally wanna see DJ Rex in person. Also, does anyone know if they'll release the music from the land on CD or anything? I really, really wanna hear the full versions of the music in the cantina; what I heard in various vlogs was VERY catchy.

I don't drink, so it wouldn't bother me too much not to get into the Cantina.... except I totally wanna see DJ Rex in person. Also, does anyone know if they'll release the music from the land on CD or anything? I really, really wanna hear the full versions of the music in the cantina; what I heard in various vlogs was VERY catchy.

Disney is really good at catering to people who don't drink. Their specialty drink list without alcohol is longer than the list of drinks with alcohol and I'm sure these will be super fun looking themed drinks also. They nailed this at Trader Sam's too. I almost ordered one of the non-alcoholic things because I liked the tiki cup that it came in (emphasis on almost, I came to my senses).

You'll probably have a blast in this place even if you don't drink.

Disney is really good at catering to people who don't drink. Their specialty drink list without alcohol is longer than the list of drinks with alcohol and I'm sure these will be super fun looking themed drinks also. They nailed this at Trader Sam's too. I almost ordered one of the non-alcoholic things because I liked the tiki cup that it came in (emphasis on almost, I came to my senses).

You'll probably have a blast in this place even if you don't drink.

Ooo, thanks for that link! That Moogan Tea on the breakfast menu sounds really good; I had only seen the main lounge menu. I totally would get the Cliff Dweller so I can have that Porg souvenir cup, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fascinated to see what happens, when June 24th rolls around.

And by the way.... Happy 60th Birthday Monorail ~ Matterhorn ~ Submarine!

I rode all three with my mom back in 1963, when I was ten! I'm pretty sure neither of us realized at the time,

that we were riding an honest-to-goodness ROLLER COASTER when we rode Matterhorn. Both sides. And...

we loved it! Both sides! But to this day, and many more visits...left side is still The Best Side IMhO.

I'm horrified to see what happens, when June 24th rolls around.

FTFY

As it stands, the wife and I are planning on visiting DLR during the first week of December. Usually then you'll miss the full holiday crowds while still getting the holiday events. I'm curious how psycho it'll be this year, though, and if Rise Of The Resistance will be open.

^ We're visiting the Resort one week after Labor Day weekend. Don't want to be horrified, lol.

And I'm hoping by some twisted twist of fate, they soft open Resistance when we're there.