TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 602: Universal Holidays & Velocicoaster photo report posted!

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how they build a roller coaster in the same time it took them to built new lockers for Harry Potter.   

On Sunday I ventured out to the Universal Orlando Resort for a chance to see the new holiday offerings at the two parks. This year is a little different thanks to COVID-19, but Universal has still man

Found the ACEr.

Posted Images

I don't know, I think I'm betting on WESTCOT/DCA 2.0

They only gave us one piece of concept art, and although it looks AWESOME, it also looks kinda generic. Also, why would they even think of building a brand new park (even if it includes its own little mini resort) so far from the rest of Universal without a good transit option. Sure, they talked about the bullet train, but thats not there thing and it won't connect with the rest of the resort (I don't think).

Maybe they will give out some more info soon, but I think until then it seemed like a weak response to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and DHS's remake.

I hope it works out for Universal cause I think the concept has potential, plus with a name like Epic Universe you can't go wrong there!

Anyone else find it funny that USO had world-class dueling coasters,then removed the dueling element from them before getting rid of the rides completely and now are putting a new dueling coaster in their new park?

^we all know why they removed dragons lol

I am getting Disney Seas vibes from this park! Really excited about the Monsters and Nintendo land!! I will be spending a lot of time on that side of the park. The area on the lower right looks to be the dreamworks area as it looks more "kidish". Can't wait for more to be revealed

Anyone else find it funny that USO had world-class dueling coasters,then removed the dueling element from them before getting rid of the rides completely and now are putting a new dueling coaster in their new park?

I chuckled at the irony of this too, but I know there were other factors at play with the Dragons removal.

^ Yea but they stopped them dueling way before they removed them.

This is a great point because they wouldn't duel them even with metal detectors. I guess it's suddenly okay now.

I guess Universal gave up battling the "Fantastic Worlds" rumored theme park name with Warner Bros. after the latest Fantastic Beasts movie didn't do as well as they expected. I couldn't tell from the concept art if there was a Potter-themed land or not, but one of the images seemed to indicate a potential Potter-esque street leading to a Ministry of Magic building...?

Overall thoughts? On the plus side, any new well-developed and thought-out theme park is a win in my book. And this looks and feels like Universal is going all-out on a big sized themed experience as opposed to shoe-horning it into a small space near the other parks... but the distance from the rest of the resort just feels off. I know that some of the Disney parks/resorts are over 3 miles away from each other, but you are on Disney property - so it truly feels like you're already in a different environment from day-to-day life despite the distance (as has already been mentioned). Here you are going to be passing shopping centers, fast food outlets, local businesses, busy city streets... it just won't be the same. I'm sure they'll have some type of transport... but unless they put screens on the windows and try and pull off a Hogwart's Express type of experience, the attempt to create a cohesive "resort" may not work very well.

In addition, if this is Universal's attempt to try and steal any Disney thunder over SW:GE, it feels like they whiffed it big time. It feels rushed, incomplete... and a bit desperate.

^ Yea but they stopped them dueling way before they removed them.

This is a great point because they wouldn't duel them even with metal detectors. I guess it's suddenly okay now.

I guess because it made national news?? Didn't the person get messed up pretty bad?

I chuckled at the irony of this too, but I know there were other factors at play with the Dragons removal.

Is it irony, or is it Universal recognizing how much people loved having dueling coasters and deciding to bring back the experience in a new ride that's less dangerous and more importantly, less in the way of Harry Potter?

Is it irony, or is it Universal recognizing how much people loved having dueling coasters and deciding to bring back the experience in a new ride that's less dangerous and more importantly, less in the way of Harry Potter?

I mean if being in the way of Harry Potter was the biggest issue and knew how much people loved them they’d have just relocated and rethemed Dragons to this park instead of scrapping them or gone for a rebuild ala Hulk rather than have a new ride designed from scratch. The Nostalgia factor would be pretty easy to market.

An elevated light rail system on property connecting the parks and hotels west of Universal then running down the middle of Universal Blvd, turn East at Endless Summer on International Drive then south on Kirkman to Epic could solve the transportation issues and connect all properties.

Assuming the state/county authorities would be willing to grant right of way to Universal for a green transportation idea.

I'm holding out hope this wasn't the real announcement and Universal goes "Oh, haha sorry we accidentally released the draft from our Creative meeting six months ago. Our bad!"

While I doubt this is a full, 1-to-1 of what is coming I really doubt park chains are in the business of releasing fake renderings. But this seems to come up everything a plan is leaked or not much is announced so . . .

I'm holding out hope this wasn't the real announcement and Universal goes "Oh, haha sorry we accidentally released the draft from our Creative meeting six months ago. Our bad!"

While I doubt this is a full, 1-to-1 of what is coming I really doubt park chains are in the business of releasing fake renderings. But this seems to come up everything a plan is leaked or not much is announced so . . .

I am of the opinion that this seems like a very “high concept” rendering of the park and I personally would expect quite a bit of it to change by the time any details are released.

Yeah, I definitely doubt this is "spot on" but it is a very pretty picture to look at. That could be the very reason why they didn't announce any concrete info as they are probably pas the preliminary stage but still nothing is 100% final.

Now, I wonder who they are going with for the coasters! It doesn't seem to be big large coasters heavy like IOA and I only spot like 4 in the rendering.

Cool, we'll see what ends up going there but I'm glad to see the announcement. With all the buildup of hotels recently they're expecting a huge rise in attendance, and a fourth park could definitely do that. Good move on putting more Potter stuff there, we all know that's what's moving tickets right now.