Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1436: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure news
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 12 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
One time I ate pancakes

Postby Mr. Volcano » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:19 am

Whoah, did the lifthill just get installed in ONE day? lol. Awesome work Universal! Glad you fixed whatever issues you were dealing with.

Screamscape posted some pics from it, but I believe they're the same ones that someone had posted earlier from the IOAcentral boards.

http://screamscape.com/html/uo_-_project_rumble_4.htm

-Justin

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby jjune4991 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:24 am

woah!!! that's awesome!!! so if the trains are there now, then maybe (please please please) they will start testing in the next week or so!

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Shellemonster » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:28 am

jmicha wrote:I'm happy work has resumed on the lift. But I have one question about the ride (that I know no one here will be able to answer but will ask nonetheless lol). Why exactly is the evac staircase for the first MCBR not part of the structure? It looks so strange chilling all by itself away from the track and support structure of the ride.

Track supports (and for that matter everything else really) flex in wind, from loads applied by the coaster, and from braking forces. There is rarely enough movement to be easily detected, but that movements does exists. If this is the brake run I'm thinking of, it's pretty high up in the air which means is even more likely to deflect because of how big the supports are. The staircase is not made of the same size structural tubing so it can not take the same forces... and my argument just fell apart. It shouldn't matter because the main supports will absorb the forces, and the staircase is going to have wind deflection as well. The only possible benefit I see is to remove it from being subjected to the constant braking forces which are going to happen more regularly than strong winds.

I'll post this and perhaps it will inspire someone to logically finish the thought.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Molettg187 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:39 am

As of 9:30 est, the lift hill was complete...
DSC01350.JPG
The completed lift

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby jmicha » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:44 am

^^I understand the nature of steel frame construction (architecture school will do that lol) and I understand that there is constant movement (some of which is actually quite noticeable on some coasters such as Top Thrill Dragster, Wicked Twister, and even Diamondback's first hill) but there's no reason why the staircase couldn't be integrated into the brake run's support structure. It just looks so funny and adds to the already messy support system for the ride. This ride is the opposite of modern B&M coasters in terms of support structure lol. B&Ms always have minimal, yet large supports, whereas this ride has a vast amount of smaller supports. Very different indeed.

I'll have red wine with my slice of donkey.

Postby HatetoFLY » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:59 am

Update from today April 29, 2009

The track is COMPLETE!!!!! :b

The facade fly through minus some cosmetics is also nearly complete. Crews were really active today. I was amazed how much had been done since the last time I was here and that was only three days ago. On to the pics.

www.coastercounter.com/hatetofly
Q...Q is for Quan....Quan is for Quandry

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby rydrmr9 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:52 pm

Great pics!!! I cant wait to see this thing!! I'm going to universal with my band on thursday and performing on saturday!! If any of you guys are going to be there that day keep a look out for my marching band! lol

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby PaulMartz37 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:45 pm

Yes! I can't wait to see this puppy on Saturday night. It would be amazing if they would already be testing it by then but I highly doubt that.

Now that the track is complete, how long do you think it'll be before we see Rockit flying? Isn't there a giant Hollywood sign missing?

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby CoasterEricHP » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:55 pm

I would say we're a few weeks away from testing. The trains are still not on site right?

Plus there's some landscaping and theming to be added yet like the circles on the lift hill and the huge sign for the lift.. that sadly used to look a lot cooler on the first rendition!

It's great to see the track actually DONE.. I wonder what the issue was..

Postby Wes » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:07 pm

Still pissed about the heartline not going up. They chickened out.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!