TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 602: Universal Holidays & Velocicoaster photo report posted!

^Not to mention the added inconvenience of the hassle of the lockers near the ride that often times are full, broken, or have long lines of people that can't figure out how to work them.

It's not about the phone, keys, wallet, lip balm, medicine, etc. that can no longer be carried through. It's the idea that I am being forced to add more inconvenience/time to my day when these items would be perfectly secure in a secure pocket as they are at 99% of other parks.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how they build a roller coaster in the same time it took them to built new lockers for Harry Potter.   

On Sunday I ventured out to the Universal Orlando Resort for a chance to see the new holiday offerings at the two parks. This year is a little different thanks to COVID-19, but Universal has still man

^Agreed. I think the newer Intamin lapbars are actually the best steel coaster restraint currently being produced. When comparing overhead lapbars on Taron and Blue Fire, I found the Intamin ones to b

Posted Images

You are not allowed to have anything metal with you while waiting for the rides even if you have a zipper or secure pocket.

This is for your own further enjoyment of the attractions. See, they want you to be fully engulfed in the themeing rather than browsing Facebook on your phone. How else will you be able to fully comprehend the artistic merits of Rock-It's 15-second looping video?

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/new-details-jimmy-fallon-ride/

FEATURED_FALLON-1170x731.thumb.jpg.210f8695b716a14fc6a2fbda6e402a9d.jpg

Any fan of “The Tonight Show” knows to expect the unexpected when Jimmy Fallon is involved.

I’ve got all the details on what you’ll experience as you’re transported to The Big Apple when “Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon” opens at Universal Studios Florida next spring.

Hang Out in Studio 6B

Arrive in the Studio 6B Club in style, and enjoy a live performance from the Ragtime Gals barbershop quartet, or check out some of the show’s classic bits, from History of Rap to Lip Sync Battle. You’ll also have the chance to meet and dance with the beloved “Tonight Show” mascot, Hashtag the Panda.

Ever dream of sending your own personalized “Tonight Show” Thank You Note? You’re in luck! You can play host at your own Interactive Desk in the Studio 6B Club. Here, you’ll be able to send Jimmy Fallon’s famous Thank You Notes to your friends and family, prep for your race with a ‘Jimmy Drive’ retro-style video game, and watch your favorite show clips.

Step into 30 Rock and then it's off to the races with Jimmy Fallon.

Get Ready for a Wild Ride

After a briefing in the Studio 6B Lobby, you’ll board the world’s first-ever flying theater, which seats up to 72 audience members, for a rousing race alongside Jimmy Fallon through the greatest city in the world, New York.

From 30 Rock out into the streets (and the skies!) of The Big Apple, you and your fellow studio audience members will zoom past iconic New York City landmarks in an action-packed race with plenty of twists and turns along the way.

Be sure to keep an eye out for cameos from familiar characters like Sara from “Ew,” Jimmy in “Tight Pants,” and “Tonight Show” announcer Steve Higgins. All the sweet sounds of New York will come to life with the help of the Grammy award-winning band, The Roots, the musical masterminds behind the original attraction score.

Step into the History

As you step foot into the renowned NBC Studios, you’ll get a front row seat to witness the most significant moments in the history of NBC as you travel through the 62-year evolution of “The Tonight Show.”

Making your way through “The Tonight Show” lobby, you’ll also get the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see real set pieces from one of the longest-running shows in television history. You’ll see everything from suits of past hosts, to iconic desk props, to NBC video cameras used to record the show, all surrounding a display honoring the current host, Jimmy Fallon.

For a behind the scenes look at how “Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon” is shaping up, check out this video below:

Buckle up for a wild ride through The Big Apple and keep checking back for more details because the race begins next Spring.

1540376088_Race-Through-New-York-Starring-Jimmy-Fallon-Key-Art(1).thumb.jpg.de092ec9dca1c010a9e897e6dd783fc2.jpg

^Not to mention the added inconvenience of the hassle of the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo near the ride that often times are full, broken, or have long lines of people that can't figure out how to work them.

It's not about the phone, keys, wallet, lip balm, medicine, etc. that can no longer be carried through. It's the idea that I am being forced to add more inconvenience/time to my day when these items would be perfectly secure in a secure pocket as they are at 99% of other parks.

Also it completely ended any possible opportunity to Dragon jump between the two coasters anymore. You no longer have enough time as you have to retrieve your items from the locker after your ride. Such a downer.

I still can't believe Fallon is getting all of that space. I guess he has a bigger following then I imagine he would. Personally can't stand the guy and have no interest in ever going on this ride.

To be fair, many of the properties at USO/ IOA, seem like they have a bigger following than anyone would expect, even if they really do or don't. I'm sure they're picked for both longevity and more recent nostalgia above pure popularity and fads. This attraction seems like it promotes The Tonight Show, first and foremost, NBC's biggest brand. Fallon just happens to be the latest host and is featured, even though Leno sounds like a better fit for a racing theme. I think I'm more into it for the the New York and Tonight Show tie in.

This attraction sounds like a classic USO attraction in that in addition to the main show/ ride, it adds in some history about both a great city and an iconic production.

I still can't believe Fallon is getting all of that space. I guess he has a bigger following then I imagine he would. Personally can't stand the guy and have no interest in ever going on this ride.

To be fair, many of the properties at USO/ IOA, seem like they have a bigger following than anyone would expect, even if they really do or don't. I'm sure they're picked for both longevity and more recent nostalgia above pure popularity and fads. This attraction seems like it promotes The Tonight Show, first and foremost, NBC's biggest brand. Fallon just happens to be the latest host and is featured, even though Leno sounds like a better fit for a racing theme. I think I'm more into it for the the New York and Tonight Show tie in.

This attraction sounds like a classic USO attraction in that in addition to the main show/ ride, it adds in some history about both a great city and an iconic production.

Yeah I agree with you from a crossing brands over business stand point it makes perfect sense especially since it was replacing an old franchise that wasn't in use anyway

I also live in NYC and drive around here enough so that combined with Fallon does absolutely nothing for me.

In 10-15 years it'll be gone/rethemed anyhow.

^Not to mention the added inconvenience of the hassle of the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo near the ride that often times are full, broken, or have long lines of people that can't figure out how to work them.

Also it completely ended any possible opportunity to Dragon jump between the two coasters anymore. You no longer have enough time as you have to retrieve your items from the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo after your ride. Such a downer.

My wife and I were able to do both last week in time. Though, we had to exit then come back up a side path to go back thru the metal detectors and castle. It was nice when you could bypass the castle before.

I dig the facade...the ride system sounds like Universal's take on Soarin, which could be cool. The theme of the ride? We'll see. Minus points for being another screen based attraction too.

the ride system sounds like Universal's take on Soarin, which could be cool.

See, kids, here is an example of the word "cool" being misused. The word he was actually going to use was "dull" or "boring" or "sleep-inducing" or "completely pointless" or "goddammit why do people like that ride" or "soarin sucks the big one" or "burn soarin to the ground" etc.

See, kids, here is an example of the word "cool" being misused. The word he was actually going to use was "dull" or "boring" or "sleep-inducing" or "completely pointless" or "goddammit why do people like that ride" or "soarin sucks the big one" or "burn soarin to the ground" etc.

OK, I gotta ask... what's your vendetta against Soarin'? I personally love it, and to each their own, but what the heck's your deal?

I dig the facade...the ride system sounds like Universal's take on Soarin, which could be cool. The theme of the ride? We'll see. Minus points for being another screen based attraction too.

$100 says they will also squirt you with water at some point!

OK, I gotta ask... what's your vendetta against Soarin'? I personally love it, and to each their own, but what the heck's your deal?

It's a horribly bland attraction that was made with zero effort. It's the weakest Disney attraction that I've ever done, and I've done all of Disney Studios Paris, including Cinemagique. The horrifically terrible editing for the ride film certainly doesn't help, either. It's something they had a chance to fix with Soarin' 2.0 but didn't even bother, which is just pathetic.

Also, why was the entire Taj Mahal portion CGI? Like I get the CGI whale and elephants, etc, but the ENTIRE TAJ MAHAL SCENE?! Not just the building, mind you, but the entire damn scene. All of it. Were they not given approval for aerial filming? Then don't include it, ffs!

The ride is and always has been awful. If I were granted the ability to push the button to blow it up in an earth-rocking explosion it wouldn't be enough. It needs to suffer and suffer horribly. I wish sentience upon the ride so I can waterboard it.

I haven't seen Soarin 2.0, so I can't comment on the film. I was just referring to the ride system itself. I think it is technically impressive and worked well as Soarin 1.0 for what it was. If you are going to have a screen based attraction, might as well make the ride system/motions be unique.

I agree with this. I'm curious about the ride system, but I'm not thrilled about yet another screen-based attraction.

The ride is and always has been awful. If I were granted the ability to push the button to blow it up in an earth-rocking explosion it wouldn't be enough. It needs to suffer and suffer horribly. I wish sentience upon the ride so I can waterboard it.

My goodness! Tough crowd there!!...of all the rides at Disney....I personally wouldn't have "Soarin" as the one that would inspire such vitriol. You need a nice trip up to Vancouver to try "Flight over Canada" which uses the same technology, but seems to have better motion and a couple of quite awe inspiring views (especially breaking through the clouds to see the Northern Lights). I think that might mellow you out a bit.

RE The Jimmy Fallon ride?? Will do what I always do and "wait and see" I am not going to pretend I am a big fan of his, but that isn't really the point with the attraction. As has already been pointed out, it will be rethemed in "x" years time when he becomes a has been!

Well, I can say that I hope this is better than Soarin. On no attraction should I have to force myself to look straight forward in order to be immersed in the ride experience. (Look to the side on Soarin, and the illusion is instantly ruined). However, the GP seem to love screen-based attractions. Soarin can easily get some of the longest waits at both US Disney resorts, and this is a ride that I choose to skip at least half the time.

Well, I can say that I hope this is better than Soarin. On no attraction should I have to force myself to look straight forward in order to be immersed in the ride experience. (Look to the side on Soarin, and the illusion is instantly ruined). However, the GP seem to love screen-based attractions. Soarin can easily get some of the longest waits at both US Disney resorts, and this is a ride that I choose to skip at least half the time.

Bro, if you look straight up on almost any dark ride ever built, you'll see duct work and theater lighting. On Soarin', there's a million things to "break the spell"; dust from the projector, marks on the screen, the quick cuts between vastly different places, et al. I think its super funny when people act like "immersion" has nothing to do with them personally and their willingness to buy into whatever they're seeing, and instead is some sort of objective measure based on the amount of money spent on flair, jerky robots, or foam rocks.

As for Soarin', its a great demo for the technology that now a bunch of copies exist of. I don't hate it, I also don't care about it enough to want to wait a long time for it.

You know, they're really juicing this one up with accurate details. I love the Comcast sign on the top of the building, just in case you thought you could escape your overbearing corporate overlords.