TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 602: Universal Holidays & Velocicoaster photo report posted!

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like how they build a roller coaster in the same time it took them to built new lockers for Harry Potter.   

On Sunday I ventured out to the Universal Orlando Resort for a chance to see the new holiday offerings at the two parks. This year is a little different thanks to COVID-19, but Universal has still man

^Agreed. I think the newer Intamin lapbars are actually the best steel coaster restraint currently being produced. When comparing overhead lapbars on Taron and Blue Fire, I found the Intamin ones to b

Posted Images

Parks are certainly getting into the idea of using old track in their entryways, etc.

I wonder how many of them have done this? I remember Holiday Park's using a part of

Superwirbel. And Thorpe Park using part of a corkscrew at it's main entrance.

Great idea, and I hope parks continue to do it. And Hulk's looks Awesome, btw.

^ Don't forget Great Adventure putting the top half of Scream Machine's loops in the Monkey area of the safari when they retracked the tops of the loops to the reinforced track.

Or just leave sections of track where the public can see them.

It this piece of Rolling Thunder still there, or has Great Adventure finally removed it?

I think Universal put that old Hulk track to good use, though.

Edited by cfc

Hulk testing video! Not sure about the roar, seems it could be annoying after some time, but great to see that the lights on the outside of the launch tunnel are syncronized with the launch. The rest of the light package looks great as well!

Eh, the sound effects are a little cheesy and will probably get annoying after watching the ride for a while (like when you're waiting for your party), but the lighting is top-notch. I kind of worry about the strobe effect inside the tunnel though...

Hulk testing video! Not sure about the roar, seems it could be annoying after some time, but great to see that the lights on the outside of the launch tunnel are syncronized with the launch. The rest of the light package looks great as well!

WOW!! I love the lighting package for this coaster. Everything from the lights on the launch tunnel, to the lights in the tunnel after the loop. Looks like a good fit for Universal!!

Not sure about the growling Hulk sound. . . It sounds more like a constipated Hulk, or a Hulkgasam.

Hulk did indeed soft open tonight!

When I arrived at the park this morning, I was excited to see Hulk testing with people on board. As I arrived at the entrance however, the barricades were up and they stated that they were just starting to test with ride techs and employees, and that "Hulk would be opening sometime late summer." Imagine my surprise walking past around 7 pm to see the barricades down and "technical rehearsal" signs up! Apparently things were going well and it was a last minute decision to go ahead and open. I took a couple pictures as I rushed to get my cell phone and keys in a locker, and was very lucky to get 3 rides in before park close.

My thoughts... What a great ride! I haven't ridden it before, so I can't comment on the refurb, but I though the queue theming was fantastic. They did a great job on the effects for the gamma reactor. There were a few hiccups in the queue, but overall I thought operations was doing a great job keeping things moving. There are metal detectors, but they were well staffed and didn't seem to be slowing anything down. The launch was a surprise. Given the friction wheel system, I did not expect it to be as forceful as it was. To me the initial grab seemed very similar to the magnetic launches on the Flight of Fear coasters at KI and KD, though not quite as fast at the top end. The roll off the launch is great, quick transitions, and everything was very smooth in my rides in rows 4, 7, and 8. I can't remember many other specifics as I was having too much fun enjoying myself! My only small critique is that it seems a bit slow to me through the final two elements after the MCBR, however I think it's a great ride and a nice addition (re-addition?) to a nice park.

I think the roar itself is really weak (kinda the sound I would make if I were playing monsters with a kid) and the sound is too clear and close.

It'd be more effective if they could make it sound like Hulk was deeply roaring from within the launch chamber with a bit of reverberation.

I had a very unpleasant experience with shuffling on my only ride, hopefully it was just the seat I was in (Left side row 7). It was shaking from start to end, rougher than any ride I remember having on it before..

I'm interested to hear what other people who rode it before the transformation think/what their experience is!

Earlier today TPR attended the Universal Studios Orlando Summer Media Event and saw all of the awesome new summer offerings! We started off with an early morning walk through of the queue at Reign of Kong where we got to see the amazing queue effects and scaractors up close. Then we moved over to Incredible Hulk which is currently in technical previews and got to ride this newly re-imagined and plussed up iconic B&M coaster. We then finished off our morning touring the brand new Loews Sapphire Falls Resort which is a beautiful addition to their already great resort lineup. The story is in the pictures... so lets take a look!

Kong1.jpeg.55b23a1db3d68682bad28b82f3f41633.jpeg

We start off the morning with a pre-opening Reign of Kong queue walk through.

Kong2.jpeg.0d40a1dde36c1f67610f6eca80e81b69.jpeg

The detail in the queue is awesome! Really like a movie set.

928495811_10_SkullIslandReignofKongNatives.thumb.jpg.e9a37ec6cf59d7ae450ecf1e78c98cb5.jpg

The natives in the queue are getting restless!

1575370611_17_SkullIslandReignofKongQueue.thumb.jpg.bc52593a7ed0ea03bc8e503c7046109c.jpg

This queue is an attraction in itself - it even has animatronics!

1552062842_19_SkullIslandReignofKongQueue.thumb.jpg.290d607c10a329764a1ff63a016bf2cc.jpg

I really can't stress enough how detailed this queue is - really one of the best in Orlando.

377151839_03_SkullIslandReignofKongVehicleSpecSheet.thumb.jpg.c0f9cf2f09aab485ad605f935681c88f.jpg

Cameras are not allowed on the ride - but this spec sheet shows you what the vehicles are like.

569941096_03_SkullIslandReignOfKong.thumb.jpg.e442893fa50497c9331b18ae19c037dd.jpg

If the weather is good, you start off outside the ride in your vehicle. If it is bad, your vehicle will bypass this portion. Cool!

987286136_07_SkullIslandReignOfKong.thumb.jpg.8a6d104dc2ce46e385ee68294d94c23a.jpg

The climax of the ride is a face to face look at the big guy! It is VERY impressive in person!

kong5.jpeg.3c13bb939bc725f072f05759f92ae192.jpeg

Time to head over to ride The Incredible Hulk! Love this view!

kong6.jpeg.ffe6065e9884f3a16266780e474ea0d9.jpeg

Hulk is BACK and is better than ever! Onboard sound, new trains and track and an awesome new queue.

kong7.jpeg.c39625ece9d3d67c506dfc2587aa45ca.jpeg

LOVE the new entrance statement for the queue! Really sets up the ride well.

kong8.jpeg.f2388b2269cd62c89df8e98feb10b0e9.jpeg

TWISTY! So many great elements to this coaster!

Kong9.jpeg.4318a81bd058cb2f220d89bd17e2ddc7.jpeg

They really ramped up the storyline to tie it into the Marvel Universe even more. Even the metal detectors have theming!

Kong10.jpeg.6e22bd6837e9368839944cc1401c54a9.jpeg

The queue uses the storyline of General Thaddeus Ross and his base.

Kong12.jpeg.733f12d95caa88e17abeccf06b63ed96.jpeg

So many cool lighting effects and the largest plasma generator in the world!

Kong13.jpeg.ea6e0d2c5b18bbb01ded20a5beb0746e.jpeg

So many cool themed signs and references!

Kong14.jpeg.7edf6e15c01e145a171d377862d58e75.jpeg

Hmmm.. I wonder what nefarious purpose this is being used for!

More photos of the Incredible Hulk and Sapphire Falls Resort!

Kong16.jpeg.2687872a598df1ef5b70765b351ae3fb.jpeg

This bigger overview of the queue shows that it kept the same basic layout but really amped up the theming and effects. No more purple and green.

Kong15.jpeg.d279131c9c74c52f372ba47bf85098cd.jpeg

Hmmm... I wonder who Dr. S. Lee is....

Kong17.jpeg.7936efe0484f9daaf21051300540ceac.jpeg

Time to ride! Love the look of the station and the super fast operation. Great crew there!

Kong11.jpeg.99e4654f38a103ff2e00552cf956a554.jpeg

LOVED the ride overall! The new trains and the on-board music by Patrick Stump of Fall out Boy really rocket this ride to new levels!

1012464955_03_LoewsSapphireFallsResort_Waterfall.thumb.jpg.60d1c6a6cee0bb66b451d828f49cfe8b.jpg

Time to launch over to Loews Sapphire Falls resort which just opened!

kong18.jpeg.23295bfb319e8692dcae7e1b62f571d3.jpeg

The lobby has really cute "beachy" and Caribbean theming.

kong19.jpeg.341b649640dfe0761a81fc1305969b7c.jpeg

AWESOME views of IOA from the lobby as well!

kong21.jpeg.66278ba9a824d55dc5bab0406aa878ff.jpeg

The views around this resort are outstanding!

kong22.jpeg.4832eea692119c964cb7700183c67704.jpeg

The best part is it offers complimentary boat transportation to the parks!

kong23.jpeg.c650ee3c29f49bba2f08969d3d6a6314.jpeg

A map? Yes please! It is a big resort with a lot of amenities.. you will need this!

kong24.jpeg.6e0d45b10d0f20715fb66975f4ba2f27.jpeg

The centerpiece of the resort is this beautiful stone enclosed staircase!

kong25.jpeg.e3ff70a585844b75112b66a7c84475f2.jpeg

It is hard to capture how pretty this is in pictures!

388083687_09_LoewsSapphireFallsResort_GuestRoom.thumb.jpg.b58189bdd97ecec4aa8a50e64d59648a.jpg

The rooms are VERY spacious and well appointed with all the modern amenities!

196287713_04_LoewsSapphireFallsResort_Waterfall_2.thumb.jpg.2e9906d5c28715996aba6fc58320a4c2.jpg

Time to take the resort bridge to get some food!

kong26.jpeg.f61f6a371d763e420344057b7b8fc839.jpeg

We got to sample some of the resort specialties including their ceviche bar!

kong27.jpeg.de2418dd438c0662dfbe597f5fb7a107.jpeg

And delicious jerk chicken with mango salsa! YUM!

kong29.jpeg.33951f59ac2c8103c6528276f9a4eede.jpeg

The theming and details in the Strong Water Bar are great and they have an amazing selection of rum!

kong28.jpeg.53a2c2ab5c773c43e2e1ac2c6b2a7db4.jpeg

Stacey found her new favorite drink - the Strong Water Grog which tastes like rum and cinnamon heaven!

2094600818_01_UniversalsVolcanoBay_ScopeRendering.thumb.jpg.5995eaa493f880ac569ade3cbafd9ef3.jpg

So many awesome new things at Universal Studios Orlando this summer and Volcano Bay will be coming along in less than a year... I can't wait!

From what I've seen, it looks like Kong's queue might be more entertaining than the ride. It's good to see the Hulk back in action again.

Stacey found her new favorite drink - the Strong Water Grog which tastes like rum and cinnamon heaven!

Sold!

It truly is amazing to think about everything Universal is/was working on this year. Skull Island: Reign of Kong, Hulk Coaster, Toothsome Chocolate Emporium, Sapphire Falls, Jimmy Fallon, Fast & Furious, Volcano Bay, and the new tower at Cabana Bay.

I might be missing something since there is so much going on!

Having been on Kong twice now, I really think it is a good ride, but it could have been better. With all of the hype for the attraction, and all of the hype the queue built up, I guess I expected a bit more from the ride. The ending with Kong was really neat, but it almost felt random. Like, "as you look to your right, you will see a King Kong animatronic." I thought this part was going to be more interactive with Kong and actually look like he is angry and then you see his soft side and lets everyone go kind of thing. But I still think it is amazing technology and a must-ride attraction if you have never visited the park before.

I'll be at the parks next week to ride HULK! I can't wait!

The media update was amazing and all great pictures! Just got me more excited to visit the parks again next week!

https://media.universalorlando.com/PressRelease/detail.aspx?id=57714&ct=27752

Tis the season for Krampus as Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort bring the terrifying dark Christmas legend to life in an all-new "Halloween Horror Nights" maze beginning September 16, 2016.

The creative minds behind the nation’s best and most extreme Halloween events unleash the wrath of Krampus, Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures’ Christmas-themed horror film co-written and directed by Michael Dougherty, in a sinister new "Halloween Horror Nights" maze.

The dead of winter sets the stage for the terror that’s about to unfold one cold, dank and dreary Christmas Eve as the fabled anthropomorphic "half-goat, half-demon" horned creature emerges to terrorize those devoid of holiday spirit. In scenes lifted from the film, guests will navigate the dysfunctional Engel family home to encounter the evil ancient spirit of Krampus – the dark shadow of Saint Nicholas – and his band of Dark Elves and sinister Gingerbread Men, who cause the family to fight to see the light of day.

Universal Studios' "Halloween Horror Nights" is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited "Halloween Horror Nights" in Hollywood and Orlando to become victims inside their own horror film. The streets of each coast’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing "scare-actors" lunge from every darkened corner. Multiple movie-quality haunted houses are erected throughout the event, based on anything from iconic slasher films to hit horror television series to haunting original stories.

Additional details about Universal Studios' "Halloween Horror Nights" will be revealed soon. For more information about Halloween Horror Nights at either Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

Krampus_HHN26_LR.thumb.jpg.280775676a1c380a9a53216d2038acf0.jpg

Having been on Kong twice now, I really think it is a good ride, but it could have been better. With all of the hype for the attraction, and all of the hype the queue built up, I guess I expected a bit more from the ride. The ending with Kong was really neat, but it almost felt random. Like, "as you look to your right, you will see a King Kong animatronic." I thought this part was going to be more interactive with Kong and actually look like he is angry and then you see his soft side and lets everyone go kind of thing. But I still think it is amazing technology and a must-ride attraction if you have never visited the park before.

Have you been on it recently? It seems that they fixed a few things that were a bit "off" during the previews w/ timing, projection issues and even the ability to see your "driver" through the frosted glass. This was my second time riding and I enjoyed it a LOT more than my first. We were also told that there are 5 different "driver" characters and I think the one we got the first time just made the story more confusing than it probably needed to be. It isn't a mind-blowing ride, but I think it is a good addition to the park!

https://media.universalorlando.com/PressRelease/detail.aspx?id=57714&ct=27752

Tis the season for Krampus as Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort bring the terrifying dark Christmas legend to life in an all-new "Halloween Horror Nights" maze beginning September 16, 2016.

The creative minds behind the nation’s best and most extreme Halloween events unleash the wrath of Krampus, Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures’ Christmas-themed horror film co-written and directed by Michael Dougherty, in a sinister new "Halloween Horror Nights" maze.

The dead of winter sets the stage for the terror that’s about to unfold one cold, dank and dreary Christmas Eve as the fabled anthropomorphic "half-goat, half-demon" horned creature emerges to terrorize those devoid of holiday spirit. In scenes lifted from the film, guests will navigate the dysfunctional Engel family home to encounter the evil ancient spirit of Krampus – the dark shadow of Saint Nicholas – and his band of Dark Elves and sinister Gingerbread Men, who cause the family to fight to see the light of day.

Universal Studios' "Halloween Horror Nights" is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited "Halloween Horror Nights" in Hollywood and Orlando to become victims inside their own horror film. The streets of each coast’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing "scare-actors" lunge from every darkened corner. Multiple movie-quality haunted houses are erected throughout the event, based on anything from iconic slasher films to hit horror television series to haunting original stories.

Additional details about Universal Studios' "Halloween Horror Nights" will be revealed soon. For more information about Halloween Horror Nights at either Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

giphy.gif