TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

5 hours ago, coasternut said:

^ Do you really think Tony is going to give us significantly more???? He's very good at saying nothing. We'll see...

On the day that has been publicized as the announcement day?  Yeah, I expect an announcement.  What silliness is going on in your head LOL.

On 7/29/2023 at 6:17 AM, AmyUD06 said:

It will be busy.  I was there the first weekend of Halloweekends in 2021 and it was slammed.

But... it will only get worse as the weeks continue.

@Swedeontour The first weekend of Halloweekends is usually the least busy of all the Halloweekends in my experience. We have been going every year on either the first or second Sunday since 2013. We tend not to go later weeks because it just gets insane. Better to go first weekend Saturday than a later Saturday in the season. Obviously your milage may vary and weather will play a factor. May the odds be forever in your favor.

Thursdays and Fridays if you can get away with it are optimal for Halloween time. There is a reduced ride selection but the "good" rides will remain open.

They expanded to Thursdays (two?) years ago but no guarantee they will do it again. They may start later on in the season.

• Like 1

So, the announcement video has been posted to CP's Facebook page (not reposting it here out of respect for the Alveys/other moderators to do their normal full announcement post).

Comments reserved until that time.

Cedar Point has announced Top Thrill 2, an update to Top Thrill Dragster re-engineered by Zamperla!

image.thumb.png.d0bab13b4c08a3fa6d96267ef97f1055.png

SANDUSKY, Ohio (Aug. 1, 2023) – Cedar Point, The Roller Coaster Capital of the World®, will once again redefine roller coaster innovation in 2024 with the debut of Top Thrill 2, the world’s tallest and fastest triple-launch strata roller coaster. The strata coaster, known as any roller coaster eclipsing a height of 400 feet, was first pioneered by Cedar Point in 2003. The park will build on that legacy with not one, but two, 420-foot-tall track towers, putting riders in the driver’s seat for one of the greatest races of all time.

A New Formula for Thrills

Riders will immerse themselves as they join the CP Racing Team and climb into one of three, sleek high-performance racing vehicles. Each of Top Thrill 2’s trains will feature open-air seating, providing heart-pounding views on the world’s first and only dual-tower vertical speedway.

On the start, using an all-new linear synchronous motor (LSM) launch system, riders will peel out down the straightaway reaching speeds of 74 mph, racing toward the sky on Top Thrill 2’s original 420-foot-tall “top hat” tower. After experiencing weightlessness during the “rollback” – the coveted fan-favorite moment when the train’s momentum isn’t great enough to make it up and over the tower – the train shifts into reverse and into its second launch, reaching speeds of 101 mph.

Riders will then see Cedar Point unlike ever before as they speed into a backward climb at a 90-degree angle on a new, 420-foot-tall track tower. After a second moment of weightlessness, the train shifts into drive and races forward into its third launch, clocking in at the ride’s top speed of 120 mph.

Crossing over the top hat tower, the train decelerates momentarily before diving into a 270-degree spiral and crossing the finish line.

“Top Thrill 2 will be the boldest and most advanced roller coaster Cedar Point has ever introduced. It’s another one-of-a-kind that could only be built at Cedar Point,” said Carrie Boldman, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point. “Our stamp on the industry is in roller coaster innovation, and today, that’s solidified as we redefine the strata coaster into a mega-thrill that our guests will come from far and wide to experience.”

Delivering High-Tech Racing Performance

Partnering with Cedar Point and utilizing the ride’s original and iconic top hat tower, Zamperla Rides and its Roller Coaster Business Unit engineered and designed a completely new experience. Top Thrill 2 is one of the first roller coasters in the world to utilize Zamperla’s “Lightning” trains, capable of high-speed aerodynamics, performance and rider comfort. The ride’s new high-tech LSM launch system delivers smooth and quiet acceleration while giving riders the chance to feel the rush of motorsport racing.

“My sincere congratulations to Cedar Point on the announcement of this incredible project. Today, with pride and excitement, we embark on this collaborative journey together,” added Antonio Zamperla, president and CEO of Zamperla. “It is an honor for Zamperla to add our signature on The Roller Coaster Capital of the World®. I cannot wait until next year when we see this record-breaking scream machine come to life.”

image.thumb.png.cb0c35342c720356da0a9f25c902037b.png

image.thumb.png.1ecb0a71a2e5a53b9e576fde7160341a.png

image.thumb.png.9ce3dd26d4b7ebfcf0ea42fa45404483.png

image.thumb.png.479b5d9317a668660db53aafb3e4de65.png

• Like 1

Random thoughts in no particular order...

• Not a fan of keeping arguably the worst part of the original name, especially when Cedar Point hasn't been afraid to rebrand (ala Rougarou and Steel Vengeance).
  • Don't like the random blue thrown into the color scheme, especially that shade of blue which doesn't mix well with the new slate grey (in my opinion).
  • Very surprised they kept the queue in the infield, though it appears with way more covering which will definitely help cool guests down on sunny/hot days.
  • Wish the initial launch was a little stronger and created more of a similar rollback to what TTD used to unpredictably offer.
  • Very surprised that Zamperla is matching the old Intamin track style for the new track on the spike. Track gauge aside, I figured they would go with a more simple track design.

All in all, I'm excited for the new iteration. CP could have easily pulled the plug on the ride entirely after all of the headaches that Intamin left them with in the initial product.

Here's hoping Zamperla can get everything operating smoothly and that this new version cuts out millions of dollars of annual operating costs that CP has been saddled with for the last 20 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _s3_ said:

All in all, I'm excited for the new iteration. CP could have easily pulled the plug on the ride entirely after all of the headaches that Intamin left them with in the initial product.

I agree especially after what happened and the lawsuit over it, I was surprised about keeping the que in the middle as well but makes sense so it overs protection from over top.

I think the name is kind of lame, but I think it's going to be a fun ride.  I'm really glad that they will have shade in the queue.  I know it's for safety after everything that happened, but I'm still glad for shade.

• Like 1

Now that the announcement is truly official by being formally posted on TPR, here are my thoughts:

The Good
-The ride wasn't torn down entirely.
-Still just as fast, and I'm sure CP's maintenance team will keep it running better and smoother than Kingda Ka so the 8mph won't matter.
-The improved shade in the queue; this one is huge.
-Looking down from nearly 420 feet in the air will be impressive.  This might make it a back-seat ride for me, since the launch is so neutered.
-This will be a huge draw, if people can differentiate it from TTD and "the incident."
-It will still be a super-fun ride.

The Meh (Personal Gripes, not to be taken too seriously)
-Swing launches do nothing for me.  Give me a powerful single-shot launch any day of the week.  I will sorely miss the intensity of that launch, which has been the most powerful that I've ever experienced (no, I have not ridden an air-launch coaster).
-Seriously, they couldn't somehow make it go 130mph and retake the record for "Fastest Coaster in the Western Hemisphere"?  That would be a much more impressive record than "tallest and fastest triple-launch-coaster." Some brakes on top of the top hat to stop the train from flying over.
-They ripped out the flat track after the top hat just to replace it with another section of flat track (yeah, I know they needed to adapt to a different braking system), instead of adding an airtime hill or any other element?  If you're going to be improving the ride, improve it.

The Bad
-Zamperla.  I have zero confidence in this manufacturer of kiddie and family coasters and flat rides to handle a project of this scale.
-Zamperla's seats/restraints.  I have never ridden a single ride manufactured by them that has been anywhere near comfortable.  I am extremely skeptical of their ability to even come close to the perfection that is the Intamin T-Bar restraint.

The Ugly
-The name.  When I saw the leak, I was like "There is no way under the sun that CP is going to name this thing 'Top Thrill 2'."  Like, I know Cedar Fair hasn't been the most creative with names, but seriously?  This is so absolutely disappointing.  They might as well have painted it brown and called it "Timber Hawk."  I figured they'd go with something completely different to distract people who still have "the incident" fresh in the minds.

@anonymouscactus

At least it's on Fast Lane at all.  With Tiki Twirl, sorry Tumbili at KD, and Wild Mouse at CP, they originally weren't on FL.  Wild Mouse still isn't.

On a side note, is it just me or did the "Platinum Pass" (all CF parks) effectively drop in price by like $80?  A Gold Pass at CP is $99 and the All-Park-Passport is $100.

I'm also pleased to see that they're still offering "all park" versions of the dining plan, all-season FL, and presumably the drink plan.

I think the backward spike will be dope.  Superman at SFMM also has a "stare down at the ground from 400 ft up" moment, and it's VERY cool.

Even though the first launch is very toned down, I'm interested in the 3rd launch.  You don't gain a lot of extra speed, BUT... you'll spend the entire length of the launch track traveling over 100 mph.  That feeling of sustained speed is probably gonna be incredible.

I'm not as down on Zamperla as most.  The company has been aggressivley working to improve its product in order to become a major player in the coaster market.  This isn't just "Cedar Fair went with Zamperla because they're cheap" situation.  Zamperla has got something to prove and this project will be getting the royal treatment.

• Like 2

I honestly feel like the capacity will be fine. It sort-of looks like they can park a train out right before the switch.

Sure, the old ride had six trains but usually 1 was in transfer, 4 of them were busy doing f*ck all and 1 was actually launching every minute or so.

... or all 6 of them were doing f*ck all and maintenance was there wondering if they should put in their 2 weeks or actually go and fix Dragster for the 3,786th time that week.

As for the ride, it looks cool. Hopefully Zamperla impresses everyone.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Let's just be thankful RMC isn't in charge of the launch.

Amen.

(Also, INB4 everyone comes to tell you how "RMC had nothing to do with LR's launch mechanism!!!!11!!!)

On 7/31/2023 at 5:10 PM, AmyUD06 said:

On the day that has been publicized as the announcement day?  Yeah, I expect an announcement.  What silliness is going on in your head LOL.

He announced / published nothing new that wasn't "leaked" on the Zamperla website. Had to be lack luster.

74 MPH first launch - pretty lame. That won't send us very high up the top hat for the rollback. I'm glad "Dragster" is returning. Quite disappointed in name and details. Cedar Point normally does better. I just hope it runs better that TTD did.

Oh wow, Wicked Dragster.

How much electricity will this use (like a lot); or will they put Tony Clark on a hamster wheel to keep the generator humming and save on power bills?

The drop off the back spike into a launch might be tasty.

On 8/2/2023 at 10:14 AM, coasterbill said:Sure, the old ride had six trains but usually 1 was in transfer, 4 of them were busy doing f*ck all and 1 was actually launching every minute or so.

... or all 6 of them were doing f*ck all and maintenance was there wondering if they should put in their 2 weeks or actually go and fix Dragster for the 3,786th time that week.

I know the ride did encounter a lot of maintenance issues, but wasn’t Dragster often down due to high winds? I’ll be curious to see if changing the launch system could help address that issue at all.

Honestly I think this is a bit of a push in terms of ride quality. Lose the great launch, add a fun, 300+ foot backwards vertical incline and vertical drop, and end up with a more full length coaster. I don't think this is any better or worse. It is just a different ride. And if the ride quality is a wash, then the added up time should make it a win if it actually delivers on that promise. Seems like it should.

On 8/2/2023 at 11:29 PM, downunder said:

How much electricity will this use (like a lot); or will they put Tony Clark on a hamster wheel to keep the generator humming and save on power bills?

Don't forget that they just closed Wicked Twister and replaced it with a small Wild Mouse with a lift hill.

I don't know the answer to this question, but I'd imagine that replacing Top Thrill Dragster and Wicked Twister with Top Thrill 2 and Wild Mouse is probably not an insane jump in power usage in either direction. I'm prepared to be very wrong on this though.