TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I have never seen any other park actually stop a lift over it.

I was on a Viper train at SFMM once where someone was taking selfies going up the lift and an op stopped the train, walked up the lift, told the person to put it away, then started the ride again. The person just took their phone out again once they were close to the top. More often than not, though, I see ops just turning a blind eye to any and all shenanigans — which I sort of understand given how poorly paid they are as well as the potential conflict that can ensue. It's a tricky situation given how pervasive technology / documentation has become.

^People get tired of confrontation quickly. Like you said, it doesn't help when you're not getting paid much to have to argue and have people cop and attitude with you for just doing your job.

I can definitely comment on the bathrooms. I couldn't imagine ever having the urgency for anything other than a... standard bathroom break... I noticed several of the floors were just completely covered in water. None of this really bothered me, but it was all an observation. I've dealt with enough filth in my life not to be bothered by it.

I think that systems where there are small bins dedicated for each row right next to the train help with both things (thinking of the coasters at SWO). The people exiting grab their stuff as they walk out before boarding riders even get there, and the risk of theft drops because you a) have fewer people walking by any given bin of stuff & b) make it harder to hide in a giant throng of people. If you coupled this with a well-staffed platform, my guess is potential thieves wouldn't want to risk it.

It can't work for every coaster, but Mr. Freeze has a pretty sweet setup where each row has an individual row. It works like a charm, since the cubbies are only a short lean from the cars. Again, I can't really think of any other coasters it would work for, since Freeze has separate loading tables.

I think a lot of the coasters that have bins and really keep trains pumping are also helped just by the mere tone of the ride operators. Some of them work up a friendly undertone of urgency over the microphones that the guests really seem to respond to. Bins or no bins, I've seen this done on a lot of rides and it's very effective.

Regardless of all of the issues at CP, being bugs, bins, or the crappers, the good so vastly outweighs the bad that these problems would never deter me from visiting. I'm glad I don't hear anymore constant complaining about food likes, as other users have said.

Changing direction for a minute...what's going on with the bugs at Cedar Point!!??!

I thought in the past the muffleheads were gone by June?? This trip the first week of August had the WORST case of bugs I've ever dealt with at the park. Is this a global warming thing or what? It's one thing hitting them at 70-100mph on various rides, but there were also normal guests complaining about their $400+/night hotel room balconies being unusable due to so many bugs on everything that they couldn't even see through the screen.

I could not believe how many bugs were out there in the early evening. When I lived near CP in 2007 (and was at the park at least once a week!), bugs were only bad on a few of the rides (Millennium Force, TTD, Magnum), and not near the swarms we were seeing on this trip. Hell, I was getting attacked by swarms of bugs just walking through queues! They were everywhere, clinging to everything.

cpbugS.gif.0d4bf44322b845e7fec11785059a960e.gif

Cedar Point has done a great job with improving the food/bev stands over the recent years, which was department of the park that needed improvement the most in my opinion. While no one is happy with the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo/phone situation, the big issue that I noticed over 3 days at the park are the bathrooms.

Dear lord they're stinky, messy, old, don't have paper towels, no hot/cold water option, and some don't even have doors to keep in air conditioning in or keep the bugs out (!!!!). It's not just a "needs cleaning more often" issue. I really hope they concentrate on this part of the park soon. I'm not sure if this hasn't been addressed yet because of the plumbing beneath + sand and how difficult that might be I have no idea about the level of difficulty there. Of all the parks on the trip and the parks I've visited in recent memory, I can't think of a worse example. They're on Ukrainian Village grungy dive bar levels.

Hoping it wasn't as bad in the women's restroom!

Other than that it was a fantastic visit to CP that I'll go into detail about later!

Totally agree with you on both accounts. Very nice to have so many food options at the park that are more than passable!

And on the other hand, the women's restrooms were equally gross. It was one of those situations where you felt that using the sink would make your hands dirtier!

Cedar Point has done a great job with improving the food/bev stands over the recent years, which was department of the park that needed improvement the most in my opinion. While no one is happy with the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo/phone situation, the big issue that I noticed over 3 days at the park are the bathrooms.

Dear lord they're stinky, messy, old, don't have paper towels, no hot/cold water option, and some don't even have doors to keep in air conditioning in or keep the bugs out (!!!!). It's not just a "needs cleaning more often" issue. I really hope they concentrate on this part of the park soon. I'm not sure if this hasn't been addressed yet because of the plumbing beneath + sand and how difficult that might be I have no idea about the level of difficulty there. Of all the parks on the trip and the parks I've visited in recent memory, I can't think of a worse example. They're on Ukrainian Village grungy dive bar levels.

Hoping it wasn't as bad in the women's restroom!

Other than that it was a fantastic visit to CP that I'll go into detail about later!

Totally agree with you on both accounts. Very nice to have so many food options at the park that are more than passable!

And on the other hand, the women's restrooms were equally gross. It was one of those situations where you felt that using the sink would make your hands dirtier!

i did make note that although it was about as bad as most of them I went into, the Men's room attached to the midway arcade (right next to the CP Police station entrance), was fairly clean, all stalls had working doors, and always was stocked with paper (both towels for hand drying, and toilet type).

so that became my toilet of choice if I needed one while in the park

no door on this one tho, so was quite humid during the daytime hours.

*just sharing some findings. . . LOL

Millennium Force was open again late this evening, at about 9:30 pm or so to the end of the day. Only running two trains, so I waited about 40 minutes. Hopefully it will be open again tomorrow!

Lots of rain today, on and off. It wreaked havoc with operations. Often they would get a ride open again just to have to close it due to more rain. At one point, I believe all but four of the coasters were closed. More rain with potential storms in the forecast for tomorrow. Not looking good.

Magnum, Power Tower (shot), Windseeker, Gatekeeper, Giant Wheel, Raptor, Iron Dragon, Rougarou, Skyhawk, Power Tower (shot)

Three hour break due to rain

Magnum, Gemini, Maverick, Millennium Force

So far I think my favourites are Magnum, Maverick, and Raptor. Holy *bleep* Maverick was INTENSE.

Millennium Force was open again late this evening, at about 9:30 pm or so to the end of the day. Only running two trains, so I waited about 40 minutes. Hopefully it will be open again tomorrow!

Lots of rain today, on and off. It wreaked havoc with operations. Often they would get a ride open again just to have to close it due to more rain. At one point, I believe all but four of the coasters were closed. More rain with potential storms in the forecast for tomorrow. Not looking good.

Magnum, Power Tower (shot), Windseeker, Gatekeeper, Giant Wheel, Raptor, Iron Dragon, Rougarou, Skyhawk, Power Tower (shot)

Three hour break due to rain

Magnum, Gemini, Maverick, Millennium Force

So far I think my favourites are Magnum, Maverick, and Raptor. Holy *bleep* Maverick was INTENSE.

my standard. . do not miss Cedar Downs. (my favorite flat at the park, and it operates in the rain)

My brother, again a pretty fresh park newbie, had no issue with the phone thing, his only thought echoed mine, if its for safety (which is sensible) why make people pay? Comes off pretty bad, and while I'd say well no place will not take that chance, thinking about it Universal had em for free.

Oh well.

So Ive been here sporadically lately, keep seeing MForce, what the hell is going on with it?

Yesterday was a pretty bug free day at the park. Rain mostly stayed away too.

Last night was ERT on Valravn. I managed to get 8 rides and that was after a ride on SV with a 20 minute wait. Managed to survive SV without my phone.

It's amazing how much I have unappreciated Valravn. It has usually been a ride I'd hit once if there was short wait, ride once in the front and moved on. Last night I took several rides in the back row and enjoyed it more than I would have thought. Not saying it's the greatest coaster in the world, or even the park, but I'm thinking it is kind of scoffed at when compared of the rest of CP's lineup. It's cliche to say that at another park it would be more of a standout, but that's pretty much the truth. Make me realize how fortunate I am to live so close.

If this has already been posted, my apologies, but the HalloWeekends site for CP is now available. The only "new" attractions are "Hexed: Lights Out", which will offer guests a flashlight to find their way through the maze (although having this and Deprivation sounds mildly redundant) and the Frontier Trail becomes "Trail of the Forsaken". No more Screamworks, which is probably a good thing! I believe Midnight Syndicate's show is "new" this year as well as it has a subtitle of "Conspiracy of Shadows". Other than that, it's business as usual. While I feel some of the longer-running mazes could afford to be swapped out (Zombie High and Cornstalkers come to mind), if business is crazy as always, then why bother making any changes at all?

Great days at the park yesterday and today! All rides were open with minimal waits. I did over hear that the Red housing units by Valravn are being shut down very soon. Could this be a future spot for expansion? Polercoaster maybe?! Would be a perfect fit as the park does not have an observation tower and would open the worlds first 500ft! Just a thought!

Having gotten back (and having felt rather crummy yesterday and the day before). My thoughts on the park...

• Millennium Force made me appreciate a re-rideable ride, one that doesn't push the limits of intensity. Ultimately, I have it as my number one thanks to its view. Yep, a front seat night ride got me covered in bugs. I raised my Six Flags shirt to cover my mouth and nose (I wouldn't subject a Cedar Fair park shirt to that), but I wish I had goggles and a dust mask. I saw one rider with a dust mask, and a pile of puke at the exit of the front row probably from a previous rider swallowing bugs.
  • Steel Vengeance was a masterpiece, completely overshadowing Twisted Timbers. I was lucky to get assigned last car on one ride, and the first drop beat out all of the gigas. The final lap with the rolls, watching the structure swirling around you, really brought it home.
  • Maverick's first drop felt like it was trying to pop my head off, the single most intense first drop I have experienced. It showed me the ferocity a blitz coaster could deliver. An excellent ride in small doses.
  • Magnum is underrated. Relatively short lines and ejector airtime unmatched by any hyper until Skyrush. I overheard two enthusiasts with different opinions - "Sit in a middle car and tighten that seatbelt all the way", and "1-3, that's the money seat". My first ride was in 1-3, and it busted up my thighs about half as much as Skyrush. The guy next to me was vaping on the ride. 1-2 and 6-2 were my favorite seats. I was lucky enough to get a ride during the end-of-night fireworks and it was magical.
  • I saw Gemini stopped because of a phone pulled out. It ruined the race for not only that run, but the run after it. Luckily, I had enough close races, and it was the second-most fun I had on a twin-track coaster next to Twisted Colossus.
  • Valravn and GateKeeper vests were pretty bad, but not to the point where it ruined the rides.
  • Iron Dragon VR was pretty good, though my only other VR ride was SFA's Mind Eraser.
  • Riding Power Tower down in the rain was surreal as the rain seemed to be falling up.
  • Staying at Breakers meant being able to just leave my phone behind, saving me the cost of fluffies for Steel Vengeance. My wallet was safe in my buttoned back pocket.

Staying at Breakers meant being able to just leave my phone behind, saving me the cost of fluffies for Steel Vengeance. My wallet was safe in my buttoned back pocket.

Wait... so maybe I missed it somewhere, but wallets are kosher? I was under the impression it was everything.

Staying at Breakers meant being able to just leave my phone behind, saving me the cost of fluffies for Steel Vengeance. My wallet was safe in my buttoned back pocket.

Wait... so maybe I missed it somewhere, but wallets are kosher? I was under the impression it was everything.

If it's made of leather...

It's amazing how much I have unappreciated Valravn. It has usually been a ride I'd hit once if there was short wait, ride once in the front and moved on. Last night I took several rides in the back row and enjoyed it more than I would have thought.

Not that I'm guilty about it, but Valravn in the back row has become my guilty pleasure thing to marathon at the park. With FL+ it's an immediate walk into the station, and I can just keep getting on in no time. As you said, it's not the greatest coaster out there, but he drops give me that big Roller Coaster Tycoon grin of a really happy peep. Although brief, the coaster is a lot of fun.

Steel Vengeance (and Twisted Timbers) only mentioned phones being prohibited. Nothing about wallets/keys/etc.

Having gotten back (and having felt rather crummy yesterday and the day before). My thoughts on the park...

• Millennium Force made me appreciate a re-rideable ride, one that doesn't push the limits of intensity. Ultimately, I have it as my number one thanks to its view. Yep, a front seat night ride got me covered in bugs. I raised my Six Flags shirt to cover my mouth and nose (I wouldn't subject a Cedar Fair park shirt to that), but I wish I had goggles and a dust mask. I saw one rider with a dust mask, and a pile of puke at the exit of the front row probably from a previous rider swallowing bugs.
  • Steel Vengeance was a masterpiece, completely overshadowing Twisted Timbers. I was lucky to get assigned last car on one ride, and the first drop beat out all of the gigas. The final lap with the rolls, watching the structure swirling around you, really brought it home.
  • Maverick's first drop felt like it was trying to pop my head off, the single most intense first drop I have experienced. It showed me the ferocity a blitz coaster could deliver. An excellent ride in small doses.
  • Magnum is underrated. Relatively short lines and ejector airtime unmatched by any hyper until Skyrush. I overheard two enthusiasts with different opinions - "Sit in a middle car and tighten that seatbelt all the way", and "1-3, that's the money seat". My first ride was in 1-3, and it busted up my thighs about half as much as Skyrush. The guy next to me was vaping on the ride. 1-2 and 6-2 were my favorite seats. I was lucky enough to get a ride during the end-of-night fireworks and it was magical.
  • I saw Gemini stopped because of a phone pulled out. It ruined the race for not only that run, but the run after it. Luckily, I had enough close races, and it was the second-most fun I had on a twin-track coaster next to Twisted Colossus.
  • Valravn and GateKeeper vests were pretty bad, but not to the point where it ruined the rides.
  • Iron Dragon VR was pretty good, though my only other VR ride was SFA's Mind Eraser.
  • Riding Power Tower down in the rain was surreal as the rain seemed to be falling up.
  • Staying at Breakers meant being able to just leave my phone behind, saving me the cost of fluffies for Steel Vengeance. My wallet was safe in my buttoned back pocket.

Hi thanks for the thoughts on the trip!

I was wondering when did you go? Was there only a problem at night with the bugs? How was the day time with them? I was hoping that their may fly season would be over by next week. I have been there in August before with just a regular amount of bugs at night.

I just want to prepare my daughter if there is an unusual amount.

How was your experience at Breakers? I will be staying there again next week.

Thank you

There's a sign now out front (at least there was this past weekend) which basically said:

-No cell phones at all, period, end of story

-Small items (keys, wallets basically) are OK in buttoned/zippered/secured pockets only

-Glasses with straps are OK

It looked like a very permanent sign, so I take that to mean that's the deal.

That's how the greeters have been explaining it (at least when we were there). Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they ever cared about wallets (though the wording of the sign was up for interpretation and you might as well put it in a locker anyway if you're putting your phone there).

Like Six Flags, they probably realized pretty quick that they needed to clarify that because if everyone put their wallets in a locker then their on-ride photo sales would shoot down to basically zero since guests would have to care enough to walk to the booth, find their photo, memorize the number, walk way past the booth and get their wallet, care enough to backtrack and then make the person pull it up by the number that they memorized or (most likely) be like "I think we were somewhere near the middle of the train ten minutes ago" and send them on a wild goose chase.

I was wondering when did you go? Was there only a problem at night with the bugs? How was the day time with them? I was hoping that their may fly season would be over by next week. I have been there in August before with just a regular amount of bugs at night.

I just want to prepare my daughter if there is an unusual amount.

How was your experience at Breakers? I will be staying there again next week.

Thank you

Last week the bugs were really bad when they first come out around 8:30-9pm, but all but disappeared around 10-10:30, from what I remember.

Breakers is even more of a comfortable, clean, friendly and great place to be. The $50mm plus in renos were worth every penny. The students working there and staff I’ve found to be well suited to working in the Point’s Resorts. It’s hard to think they’re there for seasonal jobs. Super friendly and helpful during each visit, even when staying in the old Bon Air wing. Only thing I heard from the family was an annoyance that you can’t find hot water or hot drinks anywhere on property when Starbucks and Perkins close. If you enjoy an evening coffee or tea, maybe bring a small kettle, tea bags and instant coffee.

Edited by rollin_n_coastin

That's how the greeters have been explaining it (at least when we were there). Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they ever cared about wallets (though the wording of the sign was up for interpretation and you might as well put it in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo anyway if you're putting your phone there).

Like Six Flags, they probably realized pretty quick that they needed to clarify that because if everyone put their wallets in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo then their on-ride photo sales would shoot down to basically zero since guests would have to care enough to walk to the booth, find their photo, memorize the number, walk way past the booth and get their wallet, care enough to backtrack and then make the person pull it up by the number that they memorized or (most likely) be like "I think we were somewhere near the middle of the train ten minutes ago" and send them on a wild goose chase.

The primary reason is that we are unlikely to take our wallets out of our secured pockets to get that selfie or POV while riding SV. Wallets are unlikely to fly out of our hands and bash someone in the face during the ride’s awesome and intense manoeuvres.

Random Breakers question, do the beds have fitted sheets? I HATE when hotels use a folded flat sheet over the mattress. It's what Breakers Express did 3 years ago, and every morning I woke up partially on a bare mattress...gross. I'm staying at Breakers in a week and Im not above packing a fitted sheet.