TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

X was closed for 5 and a half months for repainting, new trains, and to be "rethemed" into X2.

X2 could end up being closed from August to March (7 months) for a chain lift breaking. Maybe, just maybe, there is a chance that something else is going on?

I would bet X2 is also a financial burden for the park....Deja Vu was also very popular as well!

Not remotely the same. At all. X2 is (one of) sfmm flagship rides. Vu was down constantly. X2 has not been down remotely as much as Vu had been (to my knowledge)

Edited by bostonlva

A tuff shed cover doesn't scream "high energy," (the wording from the press release about the area), but I guess it does look like the concept art. I stand corrected about the art part. Better than nothing!

And To be fair, it still beats cga's complete lack of shade in their stations. But it really epitomizes what Sfmm is all about: minimal effort to squeeze out as much as they can.

Edited by Jew

I honestly did not think the station for Full Throttle was that bad. Once you see it in person, its just okay. It doesn't take away from the fact that the ride is surprisingly really fun. I mean at least they tried to put up some shade.

The new Station cover on Full Throttle looks like just another temporary fix to me. It does not look like a permanent Station at all. SFMM has not done anything to make me want to go back to the park. I've not been since 2005. Its not like its an easy trip being that I live in the Midwest, but nothing has happened there to pull me back at all.

^Though to be fair, you are not their target market. I think most locals have come to accept the fact the place is a dump, but don't care as long as they keep churning out new rides at such a low price.

I figured that SFMM couldn't possibly come up with a station so ugly that it would make Yolo Plaza look any worse but I guess I shouldn't have doubted them.

Normally I'd be the person in here saying "are we really still talking about the station roof, who cares?", but that's just horrendously ugly.

What I see on this thread: WOWSTATIONCOVERSUCKSPLAZALOOKSLAMENOEFFORTiactuallyliketherideSFMMSUCKS

But in all seriousness, I enjoyed the plaza at WCB, the mist came in handy. I like Full Throttle, I don't care what the station looks like as long as it provides some shade.

So, X2 is now down until March 2014...Why do I have a feeling that they DON'T actually plan on reopening it ever, and instead will come up with some excuse as the coaster is no longer able to be repaired or whatever. I would almost bet that its not going to reopen! Hmmmm...I sense a strong Flashback deja vu here...
Ridiculous. They would have never spent the time and money replacing the chain if they didn't plan on reopening it. Replacing it would be far more expensive than repairing it, especially considering the replacement would presumably need to be of a similar draw. Stuff happens, I'm sure that regardless of the crap we give them, they don't want their biggest drawing coaster down any longer than necessary. If they could open it now, they would. Some of us love X2 and some of us hate it, but it's still one of the most popular rides in the park, and people do travel to SFMM to ride it (at least for the first time )

I would bet X2 is also a financial burden for the park....Deja Vu was also very popular as well!
It costs a lot to run and maintain, to be sure, but it also brings a lot of people to the park. It also earns upcharge $ from flash pass ride sales it looks like it does pretty good comparatively on the on-ride photo sales. I don't think they're losing any money on it when it's running.

The original X suffered from far more downtime, which is why they spent $10M to renovate it as X2. Deja Vu I have specifically heard was a maintenance burden, I think it's common knowledge that they removed it for that reason, and while it wasnt "Viper" dead, it wasnt exactly "X2" popular either. I agree with both those decisions purely from a financial opinion. (For the record I really liked Deja Vu, I wish there was a GIB close)

The original X suffered from far more downtime, which is why they spent $10M to renovate it as X2. Deja Vu I have specifically heard was a maintenance burden, I think it's common knowledge that they removed it for that reason, and while it wasnt "Viper" dead, it wasnt exactly "X2" popular either. I agree with both those decisions purely from a financial opinion. (For the record I really liked Deja Vu, I wish there was a GIB close)

If it was any other park chain or company that was operating Magic Mountain, I would have been mad that Deja Vu was removed. Any normal park operator would have reduced its downtime over time as they learn how to operate the ride better, but Six Flags would have just gone for business as usual for years and years. It's better at a seasonal park.

^That station roof totally made the ride worse. Seriously, why do people even care about this? I will say I actually do like the plaza with it's steam jet things out of the ground and the big screen at the FT line, but that's probably just me.And, I think the nice theming on recent additions like Green Lantern and Lex Luther beg to differ.

If this thread spent half the time complaining about things actually worth complaining about, like understaffing, food options, overall cleanliness, etc. maybe they would actually take note.

EDIT: and no praise for their ongoing toy drive with free admission. Ok, rant over.

That's a nice thing they do with their toy drive. I bet that brings in a lot of people. If I lived locally I would come with friends or family members and take advantage of that offer. Don't they also do a food drive right before Thanksgiving where you get an admission with a bag with at least $15 worth of groceries?

^That station roof totally made the ride worse. Seriously, why do people even care about this? I will say I actually do like the plaza with it's steam jet things out of the ground and the big screen at the FT line, but that's probably just me.And, I think the nice theming on recent additions like Green Lantern and Lex Luther beg to differ.

If this thread spent half the time complaining about things actually worth complaining about, like understaffing, food options, overall cleanliness, etc. maybe they would actually take note.

EDIT: and no praise for their ongoing toy drive with free admission. Ok, rant over.

That's a nice thing they do with their toy drive. I bet that brings in a lot of people. If I lived locally I would come with friends or family members and take advantage of that offer. Don't they also do a food drive right before Thanksgiving where you get an admission with a bag with at least $15 worth of groceries?

Yep, the day before Thanksgiving!

If it was any other park chain or company that was operating Magic Mountain, I would have been mad that Deja Vu was removed. Any normal park operator would have reduced its downtime over time as they learn how to operate the ride better, but Six Flags would have just gone for business as usual for years and years. It's better at a seasonal park.

Not true at all. Knott's Just shipped off Windseeker because they didn't want to keep trying to find a solution the state would approve. They also took out Windjammer for being terrible. If a ride is a poorly designed ride from the beginning, there is only so much that can be done.