TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2218 - Wonder Woman Roller Coaster for 2022!

I know several people will have opposing opinions on this, but I really wish CF would have bought Magic Mountain when they had the chance.

Considering what has happened to CF since Matt Ouimet became the CEO of the chain, and the current state of SFMM, I agree with you.

Considering MM's close proximity to Knott's, CF probably would have kept the park open for a few years, close it, and than liquidate it.

^I was prepared for the worst when I rode GL but actually really liked it. We even flipped a zilion times at the end and hung upside down in the station for 5 minutes.

The only ride I can't do is Tatsu. For some reason or another the pretzel loop just completely disorients me. Any tips on where to look or what to do to prevent this?

I'm sure it is great when it flips, which is what it is supposed to do! But SFMM had to go ahead and add weights, so for the most part you don't flip on a ride designed to flip and instead get beat to hell as a result.

If I may ask, what exactly did SFMM do to Green Lantern to dumb it down?

I know several people will have opposing opinions on this, but I really wish CF would have bought Magic Mountain when they had the chance.

Considering what has happened to CF since Matt Ouimet became the CEO of the chain, and the current state of SFMM, I agree with you.

Count me in on this too. The park would've been amazing right now.

Also imagine what Anhieser Busch could've done with that park. Florida has Africa, Williamsburg has Europe, imagine if they turned SFMM into Busch Gardens Asia. A lot of the Asian theming is already there.

100% agreed. It still baffles me months later that, during my visit back in July, they would have one train operation on Scream and Lex Luthor closed.

I planned my trip this summer with SFMM being the focus after my great visit back in 2006, and with Disneyland being just an 'add-on.' If and when I eventually return to California, DL will definitely be the focus, and SFMM the 'afterthought add-on' park.

OMG, they had a ride down for a day due to technical difficulties and one of the least popular coasters in the park (out of 17) had one train running for whatever reason (probably one was getting rehab'd or had issues). How baffling!

I guess I could say I'm a bit baffled at how they keep so many of their coasters running throughout the year!

What? Lex was down the entire week I was there, plus however many days before/after. And didn't Scream just resume multiple train operations a couple months ago? That's, what, a solid 3-5 months of single train operations, most of which during the park's busiest times. I don't care what your opinion is on the ride's quality, Scream should be a no-brainer to run at full strength in MID-JULY, because of how many people it can potentially chew through.

Yeah, I'll get on SFMM 's case about a lot of things, but a couple of coasters being down in December is not one of them

If that was directed at me, keep in mind that I'm referring to my visits which occurred back in mid-July, not some dead day in December.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

That would be all well and good if every other coaster was running efficiently with a good crew, and the logic used behind management's decisions actually made sense. I know, a Flashpass would just solve that problem, right? I'm all for skip the line passes, but it sort of defeats the purpose when you're trying to gauge the amount of people in lines around the park, and what would normally amount to a 15 minute wait at any other park, ends up being over an hour at SFMM. Baffling!

From what I've been told by a few locals, the ops are told to keep the cars balanced as much as possibly to minimize excessive flipping. Apparently cars coming back to the station upside down have to get flipped back up by maintenance or something. It happened often so they had to stop.

^I've had a few of those "perfectly balanced" rides where the car won't even remotely rock. Put all the wrong forces at all the wrong spots, and ended getting pretty banged up. On the rides where it flipped a few times, it ended up being quite enjoyable; unfortunately, it's rare for the ops to let those happen.

I'm heading to SFMM for the first time in 3 years on Saturday or Sunday...hoping to just get Full Throttle, Green Lantern, Lex, and get out of there. Should be entertaining to see how difficult this may be?!?

From what I've been told by a few locals, the ops are told to keep the cars balanced as much as possibly to minimize excessive flipping. Apparently cars coming back to the station upside down have to get flipped back up by maintenance or something. It happened often so they had to stop.

Well, they probably would have had the ops do that anyway, but the real dumbing down was them adding weights to the cars so that they didn't flip as easily. Before that, the ride spun like crazy.

EDIT: I guess the consensus (and mine) is that the GP couldn't handle the ride and complained and the park didn't want to continue to deal with it.

The problem with Green Lantern is not necessarily the whole balancing act but rather how the cars run through the course. If your familiar with Insane and see any videos of the ride you'll notice the trains have a much wider range of freedom to rotate throughout the course. Green Lanterns trains on the other hand are toned down to the point where rather then the cars flipping they simply rock back and forth with the occasional flip or two.

The balancing and weight configuration can play a role in the number of flips but the train configuration plays the larger role in why the trains tend to rock rather than flip. With the trains tending to rock back and forth it tends to place more force on the rider which can translate to a less enjoyable ride. Especially if you have ever experienced the entire 2nd half of the ride upside down.

Some trains are better than others specifically if the train has returned to operation after it's annual maintenance the train will tend to be a little sluggish in its rotations until the train has been broken in.

And yes weight can play a role specifically if you add a lot of wight to one side the car will flip like crazy. This is just the few things I've noticed with Green Lantern it's rare to see the ride flip like Insane.

Sunday was a good day, the cold notwithstanding. Observations, FWIW:

I don't think the loading process for YOLO was that slow, given what I was expecting with the new seat belts. And new discovery: What a great coaster to ride at night.

Employees seemed more friendly and looser than usual, whether I was asking for something or casually chatting with them. The guy I spoke with at Lex Luthor was not only super nice, but told us some funny stories about working that ride. (First time on that ride, BTW. I stared straight down during the decent, like I used to do through the grate on Freefall.) Not my usual SFMM experience.

I guess I got the rougher Apocalypse train. Nowhere near as smooth as the rides I had earlier in the year. (They ran the other car empty, of course. This was at 5:30 pm.)

Am I the only guy who HASN'T had his junk smashed on GL? I find those seats pretty comfortable. The lone GL disappointment I had yesterday was, per the recent conversation, that my car didn't flip once. I'm not an inversion whore in the slightest, but one or two would have made the ride a little more thrilling, as it was back in 2011.

I absolutely hate the food offerings at SFMM. It's garbage even for an amusement park. Gonna start getting my hand stamped and leave the park for the Valencia Town Center down the street, or McBean/Old Road (mmm, Mod Pizza).

Don't know how I feel about the park now switching to e-mail coupons for passholders given that all coupons must be printed out prior to the visit (according to the pass processing rep I spoke with). I was over bringing the books, but with the printouts, we're still stuck in, what, the late '90s? Couldn't QR codes simplify this process with minor expense? I could swear I had a virtual ticket scanned on my phone at Knott's. Six Flags is in full Luddite mode when it comes to tech. Seriously, no app? And their social media is a joke.

I'll stop here before I begin repeating the laundry list of familiar grievances. I generally had a nice day at the park

I'm heading to SFMM for the first time in 3 years on Saturday or Sunday...hoping to just get YOLOcoaster, Green Lantern, Lex, and get out of there. Should be entertaining to see how difficult this may be?!?

Good Luck! Can't wait to hear how it is.

EDIT: I guess the consensus (and mine) is that the GP couldn't handle the ride and complained and the park didn't want to continue to deal with it.

That doesn't seem to make much sense. Isn't the ride MORE uncomfortable now that the seats don't flip anymore?

I'm heading to SFMM for the first time in 3 years on Saturday or Sunday...hoping to just get YOLOcoaster, Green Lantern, Lex, and get out of there. Should be entertaining to see how difficult this may be?!?

If you're by yourself don't forget to use the Single Rider lines on Lantern and Lex. Will save you loads of time of there's any kind of queue. You can just hit YOLO first and then use the SR lines, theoretically you could be done in less than an hour.

I didn't know this was an viable option in the past. That would've been a bad idea IMO. As much as people bitch about the park here, it's my favorite park here in the U.S.

Yes, back when SF sold off multiple parks (Elitch Gardens, Darien Lake, just to name a couple of the several) SFMM was included in the Parks that were for sale and CF was one of the most interested buyers. SF pulled SFMM off the market later on. Many people were surprised it was even listed. I do not remember what the year was, so if someone else knows please feel free to post that information.

I didn't know this was an viable option in the past. That would've been a bad idea IMO. As much as people bitch about the park here, it's my favorite park here in the U.S.

Yes, back when SF sold off multiple parks (Elitch Gardens, Darien Lake, just to name a couple of the several) SFMM was included in the Parks that were for sale and CF was one of the most interested buyers. SF pulled SFMM off the market later on. Many people were surprised it was even listed. I do not remember what the year was, so if someone else knows please feel free to post that information.

It was 2006. I remember as I was in Jr. High at the time.

I don't think there was ever any serious interest in SFMM. I think Cedar Fair just wanted to look at the financial information of SF and see if it could pluck away some of the east coast or Texas parks.