TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Quick Tuesday trip. Park is in good order for the summer season.  No more single rider on Tatsu. Jetstream is up and running.  

Revolution 

Tatsu front row

Superman 2xs front row

Wonder woman 2xs front row once

Batman front row

Twisted 

Scream 2xs

Walked out of the front gate at 12 00. Weather was outstanding today.20230523_101729.thumb.jpg.6ef36aa4916da82465f21ac94fb2abdc.jpg

• Like 2

Took a drive up to the mountain since online sources listed today as “ghost town.” It wasn’t. It was actually quite busy, with school bus after school bus lined up at the gates. The line to get through parking seemed long, as was the line to enter the park. With crowds like that, it’s inevitable that one’s faith-in-humanity meter will take a hit.

I didn’t ride too much since the lines were indeed pretty long and ops seemed unprepared for the busloads of kids. An early ride on West Coast Racers seemed to take longer than what I recall from past experiences in terms of how slowly the line moved. I did manage to catch a post-breakdown re-opening of Tatsu, so I jumped in line since I knew it’d be close to a walk-on. I usually skip Tatsu as I find the riding position too uncomfortable to enjoy. The big pretzel thing at the end can be punishing, and I find some of the positive forces a bit much for those restraints, but it wasn’t bad at all. Oddly, Wonder Woman didn’t get particularly long lines, so I got on that one twice. Still fun, and I still prefer this design to the original Raptors, but a bit bumpy in spots. I seem to recall this being the case when it first opened too, though. I also took a quick ride on Viper, and that was about it. The lines ranged between 45 and 90 for most with a few exceptions, but I’ve ridden all those coasters so many times that I’m more than happy to just wander around the park, silently judging everyone there.

IMG_0010.thumb.jpg.c3a513b157a96e43bd8af38cd56010c3.jpg

IMG_0012.thumb.jpg.196b55dbf1bacda1bdea2cd8389c57a5.jpg

IMG_0015.thumb.jpg.4859738777fe54826f9160247c58c452.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, coasternut said:

Magic Mountain just posted this on Twitter a few minutes ago. Any ideas???

Number of rides that are open on any given day.

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny because of all the California parks (or the west coast in general), SFMM definitely has the most available space and fewest restrictions/permitting roadblocks if they choose to add a giga. But we all know Six Flags is far less likely to purchase a giga than SeaWorld or Cedar Fair lol.

If only...

On 6/23/2023 at 4:42 PM, rba13 said:

Magic Mountain posted this on Twitter earlier today.  

Here  is that tweet. 

Seems like it would be a dumb thing for them to tweet (and the announcement not end up being a GIGA). As if they announce whatever the 2024 addition is (and it turns out not to be a Giga), their social media pages will  be even more toxic than it is now. 

Went to MM for the first time today. What a horribly run park. Today, one of the busiest days of the year (Saturday in July), all of the following were closed:

Riddler’s Revenge

Justice League

Lex Luthor

Ninja

Apocalypse

Log Flume

Backwards on Superman

Ride ops were terrible. Parking was almost to capacity. Just a terrible day. 

Is the park dead on Tues/Wed nights? 

Sounds like you had a Six Flags day!

Who knows anymore whether or not a day is going to be busy, but a Tues/Wed would have to be slower than a Saturday. I’d definitely try to go back if your trip allows. You’ll probably find at least a couple of those closed rides open if you went back.. and some that were open when you went will probably be closed LOL 

Log Ride has been closed for, oh, about 2 decades now, being ripped out for FT.  I assume you meant Jet Stream?

SFMM has turned into a slot machine lately.  I've had really good days where virtually everything was open, and terrible days where a crapload was closed.  I have noticed lately that Superman backwards and JL have been closed for a long, long time (maybe 4-6 months?).  That said, all the other rides you list have been open lately, so I guess you just had bad timing.  That includes Jet Stream, which had been closed for at least year, but recently returned freshly refurbished and looking surprisingly nice (and no more leaky boats, they were refurbished too!).

Honestly, I suspect most of it may be related to staffing issues more than the rides themselves.

EDIT:  It appears Ninja is closed because they are installing new fencing around the area.

• 2 weeks later...

I love how the park's official account just blatantly teased a giga and the response from everyone is basically... "whatever dude."  When the fake plans surfaced for the Knott's giga, the thread was LIT UP for like 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, CedarFlags said:

I love how the park's official account just blatantly teased a giga and the response from everyone is basically... "whatever dude."  When the fake plans surfaced for the Knott's giga, the thread was LIT UP for like 2 weeks.

Might have something to do with the fact that Cedar Fair has built every existing giga in North America, so them adding another one is quite believable.  Also, Six Flags likes to drop teasers about things that never happen.  Like, a lot.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what's going on at Six Flags Magic Mountain? Goliath, X2, Superman, Ninja, Apocalypse down, plus Riddler, Roaring Rapids temporarily closed...

The park certainly has enough great rollercoasters, but somehow this already dampens my mood...

Apocalypse is being retracked.  Superman has been mostly been open, but it can be hit or miss.  Riddler has been open of late, that new if it's closed.  Same with Roaring Rapids (although it does tend to open later in the day).

Goliath has been down for a number of weeks now... same for Crazanity and Ninja.  For Ninja, I thought it was for new fencing going up around it, But it's admittedly been down for a while as well.

The Conjuring has been started, and has been getting worked on for at least a month or more, and is slated to open Sep 15.  I know someone working on it, and he says it looks great.

Saw seems to be another story, there's nothing there yet, but is scheduled to open at the end of the month.

Was in the park today.  While the top of the mountain was closed (Ninja, Superman, Magic Mover--and they often close those rides as they prep for Fright Fest), the only other closed rides today were Apocalypse, JL, and Crazanity.  Everything else was open, even Roaring Rapids, Jet Stream, Riddler, Goliath, Drop of Doom, and all the flat rides.  Although the app said some rides were closed that were actually open.

Also saw all the walls are now up for the Saw maze, as well as large boards for a possible facade.  And nearly all the scare zone props are out.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well it's official!

Something is "brewing at Magic Mountain. They've filed a permit to demolish the Golden Bear Theater on 12/5 with the city. Something big is going to happen. I'm guessing after Holiday in the park. I'm hoping for coaster #21! That would be a good Christmas present!...