TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, tndank said:

They basically dropped $100 off the Diamond pass at all parks this week. 

Interesting. This is the first year that I haven't bought a SF pass in eons. I actually did buy one in last year's flash sale, but my home park screwed up the processing so bad that it really soured me. I'll likely grab a pass at this price, though.

• 1 month later...

Quick visit to the park yesterday.  Some stuff was closed because of off season (Riddler, Twisted Colossus, Scream, Superman, Goliath).  

• Tatsu and X2 both running 1 train right now, which should be illegal considering how long their cycle times are.  I visited on a Monday in March to AVOID the 45 minute waits.
  • Wonder Woman running 2 trains, which was fine.  Line stayed around 20 minutes for most of the day.
  • The pathway down the hill between Ninja & Gold Rusher was closed.  Guessing it'll stay closed as long as Superman is.
  • Lex Luthor got stuck at the top THREE times in under an hour (once while I was riding) and they continued to operate.  Thought that eventually Maintenance would tell them to just stop.  So, if anybody's extra nervous about drop rides, now might not be a great time to try this one out.

Happy note: I'm a taller guy and I never bothered to stop and check if the kiddie coasters had maximum height limits.  Just kinda assumed they did.  But actually they don't, so I ended up with 2 new credits at a park I've been to like 50 times, lol.

I don't know if I'd consider Riddler and Golaith closed for "off season".   They've been closed for multiple months.

Although at least Goliath has been testing, and is rumored to open in time for Scream Break.  But no real updates on Riddler.

But it does kill me that SF wonders why revenue is down when so many rides have been closed for so long.

6 hours ago, CedarFlags said:

Quick visit to the park yesterday.  Some stuff was closed because of off season (Riddler, Twisted Colossus, Scream, Superman, Goliath).  

• Tatsu and X2 both running 1 train right now, which should be illegal considering how long their cycle times are.  I visited on a Monday in March to AVOID the 45 minute waits.
  • Wonder Woman running 2 trains, which was fine.  Line stayed around 20 minutes for most of the day.
  • The pathway down the hill between Ninja & Gold Rusher was closed.  Guessing it'll stay closed as long as Superman is.
  • Lex Luthor got stuck at the top THREE times in under an hour (once while I was riding) and they continued to operate.  Thought that eventually Maintenance would tell them to just stop.  So, if anybody's extra nervous about drop rides, now might not be a great time to try this one out.

Happy note: I'm a taller guy and I never bothered to stop and check if the kiddie coasters had maximum height limits.  Just kinda assumed they did.  But actually they don't, so I ended up with 2 new credits at a park I've been to like 50 times, lol.

Thank you for the update. I just swapped a Knotts trip this coming Monday for SFMM due to all the ride closures there.

It still looks like a good line up at the mountain, though X2 and Tatsu may be unridable due to that single train ops. 

strange about twisted colossus. Thought that would be going. How were the wait times on everything else like apocalypse, full throttle, WCR, Batman? It’s always a game time decision on flash pass but good to get a sense on if it might be needed. 

thanks!

1 hour ago, Domm said:

Thank you for the update. I just swapped a Knotts trip this coming Monday for SFMM due to all the ride closures there.

It still looks like a good line up at the mountain, though X2 and Tatsu may be unridable due to that single train ops. 

strange about twisted colossus. Thought that would be going. How were the wait times on everything else like apocalypse, full throttle, WCR, Batman? It’s always a game time decision on flash pass but good to get a sense on if it might be needed. 

thanks!

TC may just be seasonal maintenance.  Batman was running 2 trains so the wait was 5 mins max.  Full Throttle and Apocalypse were running 1 train, lines looked like about 30 mins.  WCR had all 3 trains running, but it didn't appear to be cycling very fast.

12 hours ago, CedarFlags said:

Lex Luthor got stuck at the top THREE times in under an hour (once while I was riding) and they continued to operate.  Thought that eventually Maintenance would tell them to just stop.  So, if anybody's extra nervous about drop rides, now might not be a great time to try this one out.

Even though I find the drop tame, the ride still freaks me out because the tower shakes so much and that thin track looks like it could peel away from at any moment. I did indeed get stuck at the top once, for a good 20 minutes. It seemed that the pulley had disengaged from the car, but the magnet was still holding it in place. The kids running the ride were as freaked out as we were. Really, really unpleasant experience.

17 hours ago, CedarFlags said:

Did this change recently for Magic Flyer? My son was too tall to ride it when we went last April, so my sub-54" daughter got a zen ride.

• Like 1

I have an opportunity to finally go and visit this park on Sunday 4/23. We have plans in the evening, so I'll likely have until 4:30 or so before I need to head for the exit. I plan on being there at park opening. I know it's not realistic to go in thinking I'll have time to ride everything I would like to, but the coasters that I really have my heart set on are X2, Viper, Riddler's Revenge, Goliath, Tatsu, Twisted Colossus, Ninja, Superman, and Full Throttle. Rides that it would be nice to make it on are Wonder Woman, Lex Luthor, Scream, Goldrusher, Revolution, and Batman. Any helpful tips or suggestions on how to approach this? I'm not going to sneeze at Flash Pass, as I don't know when I'll have the chance to come back. 

Edited to add, I've read through the thread, and I know whatever advice given is contingent upon the rides actually being open...

Yeah, basically just rope drop whatever is actually open. Riddler and Goliath have been closed for awhile and I have no clue when they'll reopen.

My advice is to go somewhere else, but if you insist then just adjust your expectations.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As Bill said, it’s really a crap shoot any day of the year as to what’ll actually be open. Realistically expect to ride half those rides you had your heart set on, especially if you only have until the mid afternoon. Good luck out there.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 9:49 AM, coneyislandchris said:

Did this change recently for Magic Flyer? My son was too tall to ride it when we went last April, so my sub-54" daughter got a zen ride.

to be fair, Magic Flyer was closed so I didn't check.  I went on the Speedy Gonzalez and Roadrunner Express.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a recommendation for a good place to eat outside the park? Anywhere between it and San Diego really 😆. In-N-Out and Phil's BBQ are already in consideration, just looking for other possibilities

There's a lot of options near the Valencia Town Center mall.  I personally enjoy Pei Wei, Pick Up Sticks, Islands, Presto Pasta, Stonefire Grill, Topper's Pizza, Chop Shop (custom salads), Cafe Rio (a Chipotle-style place), and Zanku Chicken (an local LA fave).  There's also a Crumbl, and if you're willing to spend a bit more money and time, Gyu-Kaku is really good grill it yourself Japanese BBQ.

Behind the park in the other direction (more to the north) is Jimmy Dean, a fast food greasy spoon with a little bit of everything (burgers, chicken, salads, Mexican).  Next to that is Tommy's known for really good, greasy chili burgers that are also an LA fave.  And if you're looking for unique local history, can't go wrong with Saugus Cafe, which is the oldest restaurant in Los Angeles--130+ years!  It's said that President Benjamin Harris dined there is 1890, and Theodore Roservelt in 1903.  It's a classic coffee shop diner.

On a side note, SFMM (and others have also reported) that Goliath is now back open.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did a quick 1.5 hr. Trip to the park. 

TC

Goliath 

Batman 

Crazanity

Revolution 

The welders are still working on the Riddles track. I have seen them working on it for almost a month now. Hope it improves the already good ride.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made it out here this past Sunday. Got to the park in time for opening, and had until 1:30 before I had to head for the doors. Got a Gold Flash Pass, and all things considered, thought it was a pretty successful day. Viper was sadly closed to start the day, and that was a big reason for this brief detour, but I managed X2 (twice), Tatsu, Ninja, Superman, Riddler's Revenge, Batman, and Full Throttle. I had reservations for Twisted Colossus at 1, but it was down for mechanical reasons. Got in line for Goliath to see if I could wait those issues out, but that line was crawling, and I noticed staff walking up TC's lift to meet the riders who were stuck there, so it wasn't looking good. I bailed on the Goliath line and got a quick reservation on Full Throttle instead to close out the day. I was originally planning to stay until about 4, but our show at Hollywood Bowl had an earlier start on Sunday, so I had to cut that. On my way out, I noticed Viper was cycling, though I couldn't tell if it had riders. Oh well. 

The park was pretty nice- I really enjoyed the hilliness, and it was easy on the eyes. Operations were alright for the most part (I have definitely seen worse), and there were breakdowns sprinkled into the mix, but it looked like everything apart from Apocalypse (and perhaps Viper) was open at one point or another during my short stay, which I've been led to believe is an exception. I feel that if I did stay until my originally planned 4pm, I would have comfortably gotten on everything else that I would have liked to (Viper, Goliath, Twisted Colossus, Wonder Woman, and Scream) and had a beer or two to boot. Good incentive to visit again, but I'm very glad I made the trip. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 9:32 AM, Ed Farmer said:

Finally made it out here this past Sunday.

That’s funny, I was there the same day (4/23)!  

Wasn’t expecting Superman to be open but got my first forward-facing ride on it.  I think I hit it right after it opened as it was pretty much a walk-on.  Seemed to run consistently all day as I kept hearing the launch at regular intervals.

Scream had a rough day as it was open and closed at various times.  It had minor delays a couple times when I was in the very short line toward the end of the day.  They got it resolved both times fairly quickly.  One time I was actually on the ride in the station and they had us get off because the train behind got stuck on the brake run.  Goliath also went down briefly, was on the brake run when it happened.  Funny to see the same guys come out to fix Goliath after seeing them at Scream just a few minutes earlier!

The Twisted Colossus crew was having a competition late in the day to see which side would have all the restraints checked quickest.  Seemed to help with a couple duels.  There were a few near misses and some not even close, mostly due to restraint issues or slow riders getting seated.  On my second lap, it looked like the train dispatched from the station in time for a duel but they sent it too early and it beat us over the hill.  When was the last time they were too quick dispatching?  

Had the chicken and waffles (fresh and hot but needed more sauce) and the teriyaki chicken (really good, but I do miss Chop Six…the MM location was the best in the chain). 

Overall it was a great day at SFMM.  Lines for a Sunday weren’t too bad (I avoided anything that looked like a long wait but rode just about everything I wanted to, except X2 which ran all day with shorter lines but I jarred my back on something, can’t remember what, and didn’t want to risk any serious injury so I skipped it).  The longest line I waited in was probably for Green Lantern and that was probably only around 20 minutes.  Loved all the relatively new boards throughout the park showing the ride wait times.  

• Like 2

Good report!  Just one nit-picky thing driven by the former-English-major in me:

1 hour ago, Bob325 said:

Seemed to help with a couple duals.  ....... On my second lap, it looked like the train dispatched from the station in time for a dual but they sent it too early and it beat us over the hill.

Duel.  The word here is "duel."