TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I am gonna laugh if Energylandia beats SFMM to 20 coasters.

Somebody recently saw some survey markers around Green Lantern’s old spot. SFMM should be able to get a Super Loop built there pretty quickly to beat Energylandia to 20 coasters. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People were either going to complain that it didn't always duel (like Twisted Colossus) or complain that the pit stop took too long due to dispatches. I personally would take the guaranteed duel since the other option would have me stacked on the final brake run after a non-dueling ride.

Everything this^. If it didn't duel, people wouldn't complained. Now it does duel every time, and people still complain because they have to wait. Really?

I also agree that in general, the Pit Stop waits have been pretty short. Occasionally you may have a long delays, but it's more because of a guest delay more than the crew itself.

After multiple rides, while this isn't the most intense in the park by far, more of a family+ ride as someone else put it, the back seat does have some nice pops in the first part of each track. The helixes are pretty lackluster in terms of forces, but it's also the most fun in terms of visuals/racing.

And I don't know what some people are talking about when they say they don't really notice the racing. It's totally obvious to me, and adds a lot to the fun. Is it the most intense ride in the park? Not by a long shot, I'd rank it just above Ninja in that respect. But is it more fun that most are giving it credit for? I think so.

Also, the most intense part of the ride for me was the first helix, on the yellow side (when white is above you). That part pulls some serious Gs. Likewise, the second portion of the helix is more forceful on the white side.

It's a great, fun ride. Fills a nice gap in the park's lineup despite its similarities to Colossus and FT.

People were either going to complain that it didn't always duel (like Twisted Colossus) or complain that the pit stop took too long due to dispatches. I personally would take the guaranteed duel since the other option would have me stacked on the final brake run after a non-dueling ride.

Everything this^. If it didn't duel, people wouldn't complained. Now it does duel every time, and people still complain because they have to wait. Really?

I also agree that in general, the Pit Stop waits have been pretty short. Occasionally you may have a long delays, but it's more because of a guest delay more than the crew itself.

Yes really. Perhaps if they invested more than the $2 into the pitstop show, it wouldn't be a problem since it would be entertaining while you wait. But some subwoofers and videos of cars being pimped isn't exactly exciting stuff while you sit there and wait for the station delay as I had to for about 5 minutes. Completely killed any excitement for me.

I'm sure it is more fun when there isn't a delay. But for me there was and it was a complete buzzkill.

Wasn't the pit stop video originally supposed to be a tour of the West Coast Customs shop? Last time I rode it (during the passholder preview), it showed the owner of WCC supposedly going to check on his crew and that was it. It clearly wasn't finished, and it sounds like it still hasn't.

Still, it didn't bother me that much, as the crew was hauling that night and the pit stops were usually about 10 seconds.

It has a 54" height requirement because it's SFMM. =(

Oh, and comfort collars are still probably the worst thing to happen in the industry in the last five years. STUPID!!!!

Those trains in general are just bad, and the restraints make them so much worse. It's bad enough to kind of turn me off on any of the recent Premier coasters.

Are they worse than B&M vests, though? Hmm...

I am gonna laugh if Energylandia beats SFMM to 20 coasters.

I mean, that should happen as soon as Vekoma has their next two-for-one sale on Roller Skaters, right?

So I went to Magic Mountain for the first time in over 20 years on Saturday.

I was surprised at how clean and relatively "lush" the park looked, especially in the area from Viper over to Samurai Summit.

For me, the surprise hit was X2 -- I simply could not believe that first drop and the subsequent switchback hill (raven turn?) in the first seat. It may be the best first drop I have ever been on? I thought the entire ride was disorienting (in a good way) and spectacular -- and incredibly intense. I also have my first ever calf bruises from a rollercoaster ride. I left the park hoping that Schilke would find some way to make a next generation 4th dimensional ride with RMC technology/ design.

I also thought Tatsu was excellent: a great layout, and the flying coaster design really works better soaring that far above the ground.

Finally, Twisted Colossus is a blast: very different feel from the RMCs I have been on (Goliath and Steel Vengeance) with a ton of quick pops of air, and I loved all the head choppers from diving around the structure. Great ride.

Although operations were slooow, I was impressed by the park and thought it actually looked "nicer" than what I remember.

Does anyone happen to have current information on the Flash Pass and available rides at SFMM? The official website is outdated as it does not include West Coast Racers. Also, it still shows that Twisted Colossus is one time only (I have seen a few recent reports where folks have said it is now unlimited). So I guess I just want to confirm the following:

1. Is Twisted Colossus indeed now unlimited reservations on ALL levels of the flash pass?

2. Is West Coast Racers one time only, and only for Gold and Platinum levels of the flash pass?

3. Other than WCR, are there any restrictions on the regular version of the flash pass? The most recent info on the SFMM site seems to indicate that all other rides are included but just want to make sure!

4. Is there any discount for any levels of the flash pass for members or season passholders?

Thanks in advance for any info!

-Alan

3. Other than WCR, are there any restrictions on the regular version of the flash pass? The most recent info on the SFMM site seems to indicate that all other rides are included but just want to make sure!

Looks like CraZanity, Full Throttle, Twisted Colossus and X2 are all one time use regardless which tier of pass you get.

Looks like CraZanity, YOLOcoaster, Twisted Colossus and X2 are all one time use regardless which tier of pass you get.

When we were there for fright fest TC and Crazanity were both unlimited for gold flash pass. I’m curious to see if they shifted yolo and/or X2 to unlimited now that WC racers is open now. Superman isn’t listed on flash pass either, though that side door to get in was still open!

^^The Six Flags Flash Pass websites are never, ever right. He's asking for someone who lives nearby or someone who's recently been to the park to check. Trying to help by looking at the website is nice of you, and appreciated but also a waste of your time.

Edited by coasterbill

I am thinking of visiting the park next Saturday or Sunday.

A few questions:

It will still be a good bit quieter on Sunday vs. Saturday?

I've been to the park before, but my girlfriend hasn't, so we'll likely wanna try to hit all the coasters. Is that possible without Flash Pass during this slow time?

I know they'll be running one train ops, but what should my strategy be, exactly?

Also, website shows Roadrunner Express and Superman as being down. Have these been down all winter? Is this just an ops thing or could they open back up?

Got it, yeah. We definitely would avoid Saturday then. Are Sundays still *pretty* crowded then? Like 30-60 minute waits for stuff is more expected than 0-30 minute waits?

It's almost impossible to say as there are a number of variables involved. A safe assumption, though, is that weekends will be very busy with the potential for long lines whereas weekdays won't be. If it's a one-off trip, and a weekend is the only option available to visit, I'd assume the place will be pretty packed and hope to be surprised.

I did a Sat/Sun middle in Nov. Sat was busy, lots of buses already there before it opened. Sunday started slower and we got a bunch of rides in during the first few hours. Seemed like a membership got us in a few minutes early for a head start.

I am not surprised. Tidal Wave has been rumored to be removed for many years now. However, I do find it surprising that work is already starting on something so soon after WCR. That was a huge project for the park (clearly, since it took so dang long).

Next year is also their 50th anniversary. I know, I know, anniversaries don't mean anything. But SFMM did add three "new" coasters for their 40th in 2011. Remember that cheesy announcement video of Green Lantern, Superman EFK, and Road Runner lumped with them advertising 40 years of thrills? Adding their 20th coaster during their 50th anniversary year in 2021 could be tons of easy marketing.

I would be thrilled with a Mack PowerSplash, and if turns out to be the new concept with a loop, then even better.

I think it'd be awesome, if they did a complete renovation of everything surrounding

all the attractions. And updating all the buildings etc. Landscaping, lighting and water features, too.

An Entire Park Renovation. Now that, to me, would be a great thing to do for their Big 50th Anny in 2021!

But to everybody else, it's most likely a Big Ride/Coaster/Food they're wanting.

I am not surprised. Tidal Wave has been rumored to be removed for many years now. However, I do find it surprising that work is already starting on something so soon after WCR. That was a huge project for the park (clearly, since it took so dang long).

Why hasn't this narrative died already? WCR was a comedy of errors, not some massive and complicated project.

I like rumors. It's being suggested current survey markers everywhere line up with Jersey Devil. Several sections are exact or very close.

I haven't seen this rumor anywhere, but that would be awesome. Everything I've seen so far has pointed to a Mack Power Loop/Splash, which sounds pretty cool as well and the park really needs a new water ride.

I do find it surprising that work is already starting on something so soon after WCR. That was a huge project for the park (clearly, since it took so dang long).

If they start working on it now and throw up some work walls or something they can budget cut it for the summer rather than paying to do a winter refurb or to staff and operate it until like August or whatever and hype up their budget cut as "something new and exciting coming for 2021". It seems to be a new (and very creative) industry trend.

Edited by coasterbill