Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 433 - Dare Devil Dive VR Media Day & POV Video!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby krakenmaniac » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:44 pm

VR Coaster!! New Revolution on Dare Devil Dive Media Day!!!

So today I went to the media day for the new virtual reality enhancement to Dare Devil Dive at SFOG. It was a really chill day; weather was beautiful. Me and my friend got to park literally at the gate to the park which was awesome, and then we got on a golf cart to get to the ride area. It was SOOO cool seeing the park on the off season with literally no-one there. They were doing maintinace all around the park. Once we got to the ride we got right on to shoot the POV and then we kept riding it when we could. I was shocked by the VR!! (but more on that for the review). I go to meet some really cool people at Sixflags. I had a really nice chat with the VP of Design, Sam about the tech and the ride. It was really cool. And to answer some questions about the system and stuff; they will have around 200 headsets for SFOG for the ride. There is a huge cleaning facility in the station, and after every use they will be cleaned. Loading shouldn't take *that* much longer because they will ask if the rider wants to use the headset in the station well before they get to ride, and if they don't, they proceed as normal, but if they do they will be taken to like a "staging area" where they will tell everyone how to use the gear, and give them to the rider. After that they will tell everyone to face forward to calibrate and then they are off!!

REVIEW: To start, I had very low expectations for the VR... But I was BLOWN AWAY!! Everything just seemed like it fit together perfectly. You start in a fighter jet hangar and you get lifted up to get ready for battle. As you rise (Vertically) you "train" by shooting your gun at targets in the hangar. Then as you reach the top this whole city getting attacked by aliens is revealed. I'm serious hen I say this virtual reality felt huge. The scale in which the headsets create is freaking un-real. I'm telling you this was absolutely insane. there is so much to look at and you see more stuff the more times you ride. After the drop its just total chaos induced by alien robots and planes which is awesome!!! This truly knocked my socks off. You feel like you have traveled across an entire city when you have really only traversed the relatively small coaster. To all the nay-sayers out there just try it before you say anything because this is legit and an incredible enhancement to the ride. In the end this is a super cool way to ride a coaster, but I do think that there is a specific spot for this in the industry. I don't think it will take over all coasters, but will enhance the experience of many. It really was an amazing enhancement to this ride and a nice change.

Now onto pictures from the day!

YouTube Videolink
DSCN1772[1].JPG
Viewed 7300 times
DSCN1774[1].JPG
The crew getting the video set up. They were awesome!
Viewed 7300 times
2016-03-10 09.02.40.jpg
You kinda look like stupid with them on but I promise it is worth it!
Viewed 7300 times
DSCN1775[1].JPG
Viewed 7300 times
2016-03-10 09.05.48 HDR.jpg
At this moment on the screens, it told you how to shoot . (You just touch the side of the Vr gear)
Viewed 7300 times
2016-03-10 09.06.02.jpg
The interactivity on the lift was super cool!
Viewed 7300 times
DSCN1785[1].JPG
At this moment an alien shoots off your gun and you are off into Chaos!!!
Viewed 7300 times
2016-03-10 09.38.50.jpg
The VR really did make a ride that was skippable( if the line was long) into.....
Viewed 7300 times
2016-03-10 09.53.14.jpg
...into alien insanity. Seriously the virtual reality was INSANE.
Viewed 7300 times
DSCN1778[1].JPG
This I thought was the coolest. As you roll into the MCBR you hit a building and go through it. It was a perfect way to keep you in the universe!
Viewed 7300 times
DSCN1781[1].JPG
The VR was really synced up perfectly.
Viewed 7300 times
2016-03-10 10.14.32.jpg
And now I will end with a few pictures of me being amazed by this tech.
Viewed 7300 times
2016-03-10 10.14.50.jpg
Again the look is worth it! :)
Viewed 7300 times
DSCN1783[1].JPG
Amazing day for an amazing enhancement to a ride!
Viewed 7300 times
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:34 pm.
Count:94

Top steel: Milennium Force
Top wood: Thunder head
Home park: SFOG

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:56 pm

Sounds like it is awesome! Can't wait to ride the VR Ninja at my local park
check out my RCT3 projects!
Lake Shernview/Poképark Japan
Mirai-tekina World coming June 11th!
Still waiting for a huge coaster for SFSTL

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby SFOG1991 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:21 pm

This review has me excited to try this Saturday! I still think the people wanting to do this will clog up the line unless they dedicate all the station switchbacks to VR so there is plenty of room for non-VR riders to bypass. People get confused and can be really slow so I don't think the prep part will keep up with operations.

Still super excited to try after reading this review!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Just added the POV video to the report...

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:46 pm

I originally didn't think VR is my cup of tea, but after watching that video it looks quite cool! I'm excited for the one on TNR at SFMM. As long as it is operated well and executed properly, I will definitely do the VR.
Steel: 79
Wood: 11
Total: 90

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby FaithPlus1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Yeah, I'm not gonna judge until I give it a chance and this report makes me a little more optimistic! Thanks for sharing with us.

Pro Rock-O-Plane Flyer

Postby nannerdw » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:02 pm

Will there be an upcharge to use the VR headset?

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:04 pm

nannerdw wrote:Will there be an upcharge to use the VR headset?

No. Six Flags has confirmed that it is free.
Steel: 79
Wood: 11
Total: 90

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby coneyislandchris » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:43 am

Watched the video, and I am thoroughly impressed. This looks REALLY cool. Here's hoping the roll-out goes super smooth for all the different parks! Also now that I have an idea of what the "New Revolution" VR experience is like, I can't wait to see what the "Superman" one will be like as well!

Thanks for the awesome report and video!
Current count: 160. Favorites... Classic steel: SooperDooperLooper / Classic woodie: Coney Island Cyclone / Dive: Valravn / Floorless: Dominator / Flying: Tatsu / Giga: Intimidator 305 / Hybrid: Wicked Cyclone / Hyper: Skyrush / Invert: Banshee / Launched: Maverick / Looper: YOLOcoaster / Strata: Kingda Ka / Woodie: El Toro

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby RyanTPM » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:55 am

^I'm also really impressed with this, it looks great. Can't wait to ride Galactica at Alton Towers in April and find out how VR actually is!
Theme park enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!