TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Heading to SFOG for only 5 hours on Saturday. What are must-rides?

If you arrive before opening, you can easily ride everything within 5 hours even if the park is slammed, as long as the operations are good and things aren't closed in the morning.

Georgia Scorcher and Georgia Cyclone often open a half hour early so you can possibly ride those before the park officially opens. I would then get in the crowd waiting for the rest of the park to open in the direction of Goliath. When they open, go STRAIGHT TO Dare Devil Dive. That line pushes 2 hours on not-so-busy days so on a Saturday that's the only way you will ride it. After that go to Goliath if the line is just within the station still. If it is longer you can come back to it later. I would then hit Batman followed by Mindbender. After that go to the back of the park which will likely still be pretty dead and ride Superman first, then Great American Scream Machine, then Ninja. Jump on Sky Screamer too if it interests you.

I would also recommend the mine train and even the kiddie coaster if you have time and the lines aren't bad. Other than that Acrophobia and Monster Mansion are the only must rides. Both get a pretty long line.

Thunder River is one of the best looking and most exciting rapids rides are well (I've never seen a more realistic rapids ride. You'd think it's a real river) but you might not have time to even consider that.

I have done all of these within 3-4 hours before on a few Saturdays, so it is much more realistic than it sounds.

Thanks. I found this from July 02. Regarding the Flash Pass, do you have a recommendation?

Heading to SFOG for only 5 hours on Saturday. What are must-rides?

If you arrive before opening, you can easily ride everything within 5 hours even if the park is slammed, as long as the operations are good and things aren't closed in the morning.

Georgia Scorcher and Georgia Cyclone often open a half hour early so you can possibly ride those before the park officially opens. I would then get in the crowd waiting for the rest of the park to open in the direction of Goliath. When they open, go STRAIGHT TO Dare Devil Dive. That line pushes 2 hours on not-so-busy days so on a Saturday that's the only way you will ride it. After that go to Goliath if the line is just within the station still. If it is longer you can come back to it later. I would then hit Batman followed by Mindbender. After that go to the back of the park which will likely still be pretty dead and ride Superman first, then Great American Scream Machine, then Ninja. Jump on Sky Screamer too if it interests you.

I would also recommend the mine train and even the kiddie coaster if you have time and the lines aren't bad. Other than that Acrophobia and Monster Mansion are the only must rides. Both get a pretty long line.

Thunder River is one of the best looking and most exciting rapids rides are well (I've never seen a more realistic rapids ride. You'd think it's a real river) but you might not have time to even consider that.

I have done all of these within 3-4 hours before on a few Saturdays, so it is much more realistic than it sounds.

Thanks. I found this from July 02. Regarding the Flash Pass, do you have a recommendation?

Perfect! I am glad you could find that. It really is the ultimate way to sweep the park at opening.

If you are spending an entire day at the park and it is extremely busy, I would say go for the Flash Pass. I always buy fast passes if I am visiting a park for the first time and likely won't be back for a long time. I think considering all that is invested in a trip, it really is worth it since it will add so much to your day.

Regular Flash Pass will wait in a line for you, and you can only reserve one ride at a time, so if the lines are all 2 hours you can reserve one coaster and it will be ready for you in 2 hours, meanwhile you can wait 2 hours for something else. So it can double the number of rides you get in. Gold Flash Pass will significantly reduce the wait time, often more than the promised 50% or whatever the exact percent is. Platinum is expensive and will essentially reduce the entire wait time, but you still have to wait a few minutes. I have gotten it before, but it is only really worth it if they are offering the double ride wristband that day (and if they do have that, get ready to be verbally and possibly physically assaulted by the person next in line. That happened to me. Not kidding lol).

I would say if the park is packed, feel out the lines and if they are just too long, go to Flash Pass Processing and buy a Gold Flash Pass.

People get pissed when you ride twice with that wrist band lol

When I had it, I thought it was humorous how many people got absolutely set off by my wristband.

Ninja had a 2 hour line, and after my first ride, when the gates opened and I stayed the woman who was next in line started screaming at me and actually ended up kicking me rather violently once I was locked in my seat. At that point she left the ride still having some weird ghetto adult temper tantrum. Jokes on her because she stood in line for 2 hours just to leave when she was next in line.

• 2 weeks later...
People get pissed when you ride twice with that wrist band lol

When I had it, I thought it was humorous how many people got absolutely set off by my wristband.

Ninja had a 2 hour line, and after my first ride, when the gates opened and I stayed the woman who was next in line started screaming at me and actually ended up kicking me rather violently once I was locked in my seat. At that point she left the ride still having some weird ghetto adult temper tantrum. Jokes on her because she stood in line for 2 hours just to leave when she was next in line.

Jesus, a two hour wait for Ninja?? I would have hated to see the lines for all the other rides then.

I was at the park today (Sunday Sept. 20th) and the park was SLAMMED. The park was closed Saturday for a private event, and today was a special Latin music festival as well as military appreciation day which got groups of up to 4 people in for free. I arrived 3 hours after opening to see the traffic into the park backed up onto the interstate. The parking lot was full and people were unable to find spots. The front gate area was so busy they were building makeshift lines out away from the main gate area. I was there to process my new season pass and don't even bother to wait in the 2+ hour lines but I did wait for my free lunch at the shortest food line I could find. It still took 1 hour to get to the counter and order. The park was that busy.

Most restaurants had lines running a good 50 feet out the door down the midway at 3pm.

The park really needs to reconsider their events and special pricing promotions because some days are very light while others are dangerously crowded to the point that it just ruins the experience! Craziness.

^If you're talking about the rendering of the redone kids areas that Six Flags announced several weeks ago, then I wouldn't be worried. The terrain and especially the background in that video are very very inaccurate to the park. I'm pretty sure Splashwater Falls and Mine Train are staying for a while.

Although Falls supposedly went on sale a few years ago, but the park still has it so I assume no one's interested. It sits on the side of a hill anyways, so it's custom built for the park.

I should be at six flags over GA next weekend.. Planning on doing season pass holder night on Friday then fright fest Sat and spend half the day there Sunday

That's the ultimate SFOG weekend!

I will be there on Season Passholder Appreciation Night as well! That event used to be so empty when they did it the weekend after the season ended (first weekend of November) and when they moved it to the start of Fright Fest on a Friday night it wasn't very busy the first few seasons, but last season it was really busy!

Well I live in Knoxville but love six flags so me and my GF usually do this a few times a year. Early summer, late summer, and sometimes fall ha-ha we try to make an entire weekend out of it when we go.

Yeah the past few years season pass holder night has been packed!! But I guess it's bc you can bring a friend??

^Yeah, they now allow passes for the upcoming year and friend tickets are 14.99 I believe. Also keep in mind season passes seem to dominate the park more than a few years ago. It seems like half the crowd has a season pass anymore!

That is awesome you take a handful of trips each year! If you did not visit Holiday In The Park last season, I highly recommend it. Regardless of the park's temperature policy they were always running all the coasters included in the event last season, even at night when it was in the high 30s once (the park claims no coasters run under 50 degrees...) and I thought the event itself was spectacular, even after having just been at Smoky Mountain Christmas. Dale, the park president also claimed that the event will include the entire park this year. I hope that plan doesn't change. Additionally the crowds are not too bad, especially after Christmas and this season the park will be open from 2pm-10pm after Christmas!

Yup, that's like our weekend getaways every few month's.. Something we love to do and have done for the past several years.. Everyone needs small getaways everynow and then. I can usually get a hotel for under $150 for both nights and with season passes its a good cheap way to get out

Holiday in the park was a goal last year but we ran out of time and never made it. Something kept coming up! I even had to cancel our rooms one weekend haha

Good to know they run the coasters even that cold! Dollywood closes theirs at about 40 ha-ha..

I'm trying to plan a trip down to Disney this Christmas as well but we hope to fit one night in for Holiday in the park.. I love park Christmas events (I can possibly do this on my way down to Disney.. Just leave a day early as I have to drive through Atlanta down to Disney.. I am planning this trip the week between Christmas and New Year)

I should be at six flags over GA next weekend.. Planning on doing season pass holder night on Friday then fright fest Sat and spend half the day there Sunday

I'm sure you know that season passholder night this year isnt until Friday October 2. The past several years it was preview night for fright fest, the last Friday of September. But they have pushed it back one week this year.

Yup that's not this weekend but next thanks though ha-ha! A few weeks ago I got online and saw they did change it from fright fest preview night

Also if I remember correctly the fright fest stuff was free a few years ago when pass holder night was on preview night.. Then the started charging for it even on preview night.. So it doesn't bother me that they moved it back a weekend bc I like the first weekend in Oct better anyways lol

^Like I said, SFOG claims they don't run rides under 50 degrees (which is ridiculous) but they ran them under 50 every visit last fall/winter, and even on a night when it hit 37 degrees at closing. I can't promise they will do that though and if it is under 50 and you call to ask, they will say the rides are running but won't if it drops below 50 (even though it is 45 at the time of your call) ....I can't understand that. Anyways the rides should be open regardless of temperature based on last season.

Holiday In the Park really transforms SFOG and proves that a Six Flags park can put on an impressive holiday event with spectacular lights, themed events, holiday foods, etc. Like I said I was impressed even after having just been at Dollywood's Christmas event.

This may be off-topic, but does anyone else see Georgia Cyclone getting re-done by RMC next year, along with The Boss?

It was supposed to happen apparently for 2012 but no: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1117123#p1117123

I forgot where it was actually said, but I think Alan said that Six Flags' contract is up after next year, and if Six Flags wants anymore remodels, they'll be more expensive. I think that means Six Flags is done with RMC for now.

Going back to 2012, RMC did add a large amount of Topper Track to Cyclone, and while the ride experience was much better in the new section, the rest of the ride was not touched with new Tipper Track, and as far as any enthusiast knows, Six Flags never had plans to Iron Horse Cyclone.

This may be off-topic, but does anyone else see Georgia Cyclone getting re-done by RMC next year, along with The Boss?

It was supposed to happen apparently for 2012 but no: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1117123#p1117123

Honestly I love Cyclone the way it is, I love the Boss as well, but with the length of the Boss, I would say it would benefit more from an Iron Horse than Cyclone would. Not to mention we have an outstanding collection compared to St.Louis already, they could use a headline attraction.

A) That was for Topper Track, which Cyclone DID get as is still there today. It made a huge difference.

B) The Boss will not be RMC. The officals have told us for many years that the Boss is too long and sits on too rugged terrian to ever be Iron Horsed. I say this very sternly. Take a look at our thread if you wish. Personally, i have asked the Director of Rides and was given the exact same respone.

Dont get me wrong - I'm sure both parks would love to.

I don't want to see a reprofile of Georgia Cyclone, it is a great coaster as it is.

I do wish they would topper track the entire course, because it is very rough in some spots after the first 2 drops, and the ride is awkward with the first quarter being super smooth, the next quarter notably rougher with some new wood, and the rest very rough.

Georgia Cyclone with 100% topper track would be a dream come true.

So far it hasn't been bad.. No rain.. A little mist here and there but nothing to get you wet. I am here now.. It's keeping the haunted house lines down but as the night goes on its getting pretty crowded..

As of thirty mins ago everything has been operating but no Superman for some reason.. Might be open now though

Love how they have changed up some of the haunted attractions

Pretty slippery though! I love watching people run from monsters and slip lol

Went back today and it was actually less crowded than pass night.. Rides where walkons on day (except for DDD)..

They even closed early tonight at 10.. I assume that was due to attendance being so low (they said it was due to rain BUT it has only been a light drizzle on and off all night)

But last two days have been a blast! They did an awesome job with decorations.. The park was creepier than years past.. Great monsters who seem to travel more around the park.. Even at the front gate!!

Had a few welcome changes to the haunted houses, I'll let you all see them for yourself.. Not sure how I feel about them, especially Terror Train but they where welcome..

Overall tons of fun!!

Depending on weather I might go back for a few hours tomorrow.. Right now rain is supposed to stop by Noon.

uploadfromtaptalk1443922748362.thumb.jpg.660b12dc1b2a71a9a1d3c576df12e576.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1443922788135.thumb.jpg.ff2cac1dc59f7e5d478751a613521ce3.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1443922706964.thumb.jpg.1e5176b5bb5787df8fcddd037003d969.jpg

^Glad you had a great time even with the rain. Yes, the park often closes due to low attendance and blames the weather, when the weather isn't even that bad. That really put a damper on my birthday one year when we went to the park on a Friday in October just to have them close 2 hours after opening.

I was at the park from around 9:30 to closing on Season Passholder Appreciation Night. Sadly couldn't come earlier but it wasn't too busy so I'll take it!