TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Your move Intamin.

I think Intamin is cowering in the corner crying for their mommy after seeing this and every other creation RMC has come out with the past few years.

Heck, Intamin is crying after seeing what B&M has created (Leviathan, Fury 325).

Levithan??? Um, no.

Totally unique. Well-designed. Not sure the launch was at all necessary, however.

When I first heard about Lightning Rod being launched I was skeptical, but the way that it utilizes the launch as a lift and basically rockets you into an air time hill that is quickly followed by a second air time hill/main drop is really unique. No second is wasted on this coaster. That drop is probably going to deliver some of the strongest sustained ejector out there, and it will be down an extremely steep drop, intro a valley. The launch might be good for capacity if loading times are quick considering the short ride duration.

Is this RMC's first time working with LIM/LSM? I hope it doesn't become a big source of downtime.

Agreed (and if my only complaint is that we have unnecessary launched lift hill, well then that tells me in what great shape this coaster is because any launched hill is awesome (I was just wondering how much of the $21M went into that feature).

I sure hope you are right about improving capacity -- that is the ONLY feature in which RMC is actually behind the curve. Otherwise, they have upped the game in a truly stunning fashion. (Too bad that my home park got the "worst" RMC to-date, which is still pretty awesome).

Your move Intamin.

I think Intamin is cowering in the corner crying for their mommy after seeing this and every other creation RMC has come out with the past few years.

Heck, Intamin is crying after seeing what B&M has created (Leviathan, Fury 325).

Levithan??? Um, no.

I was thinking the same thing. Intamin wouldn't be "crying", neither of the 2 coasters mentioned are significantly better than the Intamins, as the gigas are really close in terms of ride experience. It's hard to decide which giga is best for many people. However, Intamin is definitely crying over these RMC's, as this may mean the end of Pre Fab woodies.

On another note, I'm wondering what drove the cost so high... it does have the inclined launch and a longer layout than Outlaw Run, but I don't see how that would jack up the cost by $10 million (I forgot exactly how much Outlaw Run costed)

That quadruple down photo is a contender for best coaster photo ever. That's wallpaper worthy!

Edited by Coaster Hero

I posted that picture of the Quad-Down to my Facebook, and I am getting tons of feedback on it, even from non-enthusiasts! Everybody is in awe of it! Dollywood definitely has a winner on their hands here!

Edited because this thread is updating too fast!

Edited by DILinator

Well, call me dumbfounded and a little jealous, haha. S.C. seemed to be the most underwhelming RMC that's ever been announced, while this looks to completely dwarf it and many, many other RMC's already built. I now, very literally, have no excuse anymore for holding off a trip to Dollywood within the next few years and need to make a trip down there asap.

Bravo, Dollywood!

From the photos. Are there going to be any lights by the tracks so low to the ground or no? Or just lights on the lift hill? Again I can imagine what this is going to be like ridding at night time low to the ground. Adding Dollywood to my Cedar Point trip next year.

On another note, I'm wondering what drove the cost so high... it does have the inclined launch and a longer layout than Outlaw Run, but I don't see how that would jack up the cost by $10 million (I forgot exactly how much Outlaw Run costed)

Yeah, I posted a similar question about that. I can't imagine that the launch really added that much cost in that it seems to be a comparatively low-level launch using what I assume is already established technology? . Is it possible that the cost of clearing the land, demolition of existing buildings, and the cost of building it on that terrain could have really added the extra $5M to $6M that seems baked into this cost compared to other RMC installations? (Could Dollywood have fronted some the R&D cost for launch system if it was a proprietary system developed? Seems unusual, but maybe?)

Edited by tororific

This. Looks. Amazing.

lightning_rod_twist_and_shout.jpg

OMG! That looks so freaking awesome and kind of scary....lol. This amazing picture makes me wonder if anyone knows the height difference from the top of the quadruple down to the bottom, as it looks rather substantial in this picture and if I am understanding correctly, it comes at the end of the ride. That makes for one hell of a finale.

My guess would be the (apparently, from the looks of the video, LSM?) launch, as well as RMC upping their pricing now that they've garnered enough of a reputation that they don't have to "discount" their projects like Outlaw Run, and do package-deals like they seem to have had with Six Flags Corp.

The LSM technology (if that's what this ends up being) is conceivably more than a traditional lift hill. When you consider the themeing this ride looks to have as well, the costs add up.

This. Looks. Amazing.

lightning_rod_twist_and_shout.jpg

OMG! That looks so freaking awesome and kind of scary....lol. This amazing picture makes me wonder if anyone knows the height difference from the top of the quadruple down to the bottom, as it looks rather substantial in this picture and if I am understanding correctly, it comes at the end of the ride. That makes for one hell of a finale.

Well, as best as I can tell from the layout, it looks like this quadruple down (God, I can't believe I am writing that!) begins after the coaster has come all the way back up the hill, so it may not be blasting with speed when it enters it (although it sure looks like with the launch it will hit that top one with a ton of speed), but it sure looks like it will hauling a** by mid-way through it. I have no idea what the vertical distance is - I would guess from photos of hill clearing to be 80-100 feet???)

What I think is awesome, assuming I'm picturing the location of that Quad-Down right, is that it'll be coming down the hill facing the station, and the rest of the park! So that photogenic coaster moment will be a primary advertisement for the ride from the midway!

Lightning is the new Hawk, yes?

Now we have

White Lightning

Lightning Racer

Lightning Run

Lightning Rod

Soon, Cedar Fair will give us "Lightning Hawk."

They can call this ride "Big Red Mountain Coaster" if they want, as long as the ride lives up to its promise.

Edited by cfc

This....looks....spectacular.

I'm gonna assume that those people who "finally have a need to go to Dollywood" haven't been there before.

Although this coaster looks great - there is ALWAYS a need to go to Dollywood. It truly is a FANTASTIC park and the food is freaking amazing.

Also....who the heck "hates" Dolly?????? Really????

This....looks....spectacular.

I'm gonna assume that those people who "finally have a need to go to Dollywood" haven't been there before.

Although this coaster looks great - there is ALWAYS a need to go to Dollywood. It truly is a FANTASTIC park and the food is freaking amazing.

Also....who the heck "hates" Dolly?????? Really????

I know, right!?!? I seriously question the validity of anyone who says they hate Dolly. She is about as real as they get.....even with all her fake parts. And I would love to have her personality....so bubbly and funny.

For what it's worth, I've wanted to go to Dollywood for years, it's just never worked out. I just so happened to decide that 2016 was finally going to be the year, even before any of this Lightning Rod stuff was getting teased. It's just some crazy fortuitous timing on my part! Can't wait for visit to roll around, that's for sure!