TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^ Oh trust me, I've seen a few totally insane people out there... "purists" or whatever, that aren't fans of what they are doing. I personally think they are crazy and I say BRING IT ON!!!!

It's funny you mention this... Just moments ago, I was on Facebook, and saw THREE people (out of seven) in a particular thread discussing the coaster, complaining about it! I was floored! What's wrong with these people!

A few thoughts:

- Shot Rod certainly would have been the more unique name and the one I would prefer they had gone with, but is there anything to complain about on this ride?

-Dollywood now enters a strong discussion as the park with the best wooden coasters on the planet. Thunderhead might be the best GCI running out there, and this is certainly the favorite to be the best RMC to date.

-Isn't it wonderful to have a park with leadership that truly understands the industry and is committed time and time again to not only build great rides but to build unique rides. And those unique rides also always build upon the park heritage. This park (and chain) is always on top or ahead of the curve. Bravo Dollywood. I couldn't be happier for you.

-Also amazing how RMC keeps mixing unique elements into their designs. I was positive when the video was rolling that this coaster was going to end in a double barrel roll. Instead we get the launch, the Humongous 90 degree turn and the quad down that both make this coaster unique but also don't antiquate their previous designs. Thus far there just isn't any clone or cookie-cutter in this company. They are truly enthusiasts building coasters.

-Speaking of which, what a glorious time to be into Rollercoasters. There was maybe 1 top ten ride being built every two years between like 2003 and 2012ish, now there's multiple contenders each year. Things are picking up for sure. We need Mitch's poll back!

-Dolly Parton is a wonderful person and anyone who doesn't like her at least a little bit can kiss the broadside of my barn.

-Happy to see a reason to leave the craftsmen valley side of this park. Also happy to see a coaster here that isn't merely great, but also in contention for bestest ever awards.

Speaking of which, what a glorious time to be into Rollercoasters. There was maybe 1 top ten ride being built every two years between like 2003 and 2012ish, now there's multiple contenders each year. Things are picking up for sure. We need Mitch's poll back.

THIS. With all the great new coasters that have been built over the last 2 or 3 years, especially RMC's, I would love to see Mitch Hawkers poll return so we can get a sense of how they stack up against each other.

This has surpassed all my expectations! Its been a while since I've been in awe at a Coaster announcement. I hope to get to DW soon so I can ride LR, along with the other four credits I've yet to land!

Sorry to bring this back up, but the topic is growing so fast!

^Please stop arguing with the one guy that would know.

Pete is being kind enough to share details about the new ride with us, we really do not need our members trying to disprove him.

Yeah, I don't know him (haven't really followed this topic prior to the announcement) but I indeed noticed he would be the guy who would know. Thanks for sharing all these infos with us by the way!

My wording was bad I guess, because I was indeed on his side, and questioning the billboard instead, saying "Oh ok that's that. But then, the layout is wrong here?". My apologies!

This has surpassed all my expectations! Its been a while since I've been in awe at a Coaster announcement. I hope to get to DW soon so I can ride LR, along with the other four credits I've yet to land!

Heads up: Tennesse Tornado is one of the smoothest damn Arrows ever built. Honestly, its smoother than some B&Ms Ive ridden.

^ Oh trust me, I've seen a few totally insane people out there... "purists" or whatever, that aren't fans of what they are doing. I personally think they are crazy and I say BRING IT ON!!!!

I've never understood why some people believe that wooden coasters need to stick with early 20th-century technology. Many of these "purists" complained about Intamin's "plug-and-play" woodies, too.

I'm in favor of whatever technology provides the best ride possible.

I'm so excited for this ride, Dollywood had been on my radar for parks to visit but now I'm for sure going next year! Every time I see that picture of the quadruple down I'm in awe. This is without a doubt the coaster I'm most excited for next year! I just keep thinking to how much I loved riding Goliath (my only RMC) and much more amazing this coaster is going to be! This coaster is going to be a real winner!

One article posted several pages back said poly wheel's.. The article is from the local paper and actually leaked the ride a day early.. It has quotes from Pete and other Dollywood officials so I assume it's decently accurate

Everything else in the article turned out to be true including the price and everything so Idk but I'd say it's safe to say poly. It somehow was published a day early though ha-ha

It said it would be one of the smoothest coasters built

Edited by dstephe9

I missed the hype train yesterday what with painting my new place and all, but I did watch the video in the morning before getting started. Anyways, now that I'm not painting and instead am sitting at my computer at work being an unproductive waste, I can share my reaction.

Seriously, it's like Dollywood called RMC and said, "So, hey, that Wildfire thing you're building in Scandinavia? We want something like that, but launch it."

Seriously, it's like Dollywood called RMC and said, "So, hey, that Wildfire thing you're building in Scandinavia? We want something like that, but launch it."

I have a feeling these two rides are going to be a lot like Medusa and Wicked Cyclone for me where people keep asking me to pick one over the other and I seriously can't! I think that's a great situation to be in!

I have a feeling these two rides are going to be a lot like Medusa and Wicked Cyclone for me where people keep asking me to pick one over the other and I seriously can't! I think that's a great situation to be in!

Thats like asking what kind of bacon you prefer. In the end it doesn't matter cause they all great. RMC is the bacon of the coaster world.

I still can't get over how massive this ride is going to be.

I've never understood why some people believe that wooden coasters need to stick with early 20th-century technology. Many of these "purists" complained about Intamin's "plug-and-play" woodies, too.

Right? If RMC figured out a way to make a #1 roller coaster out of toothbrushes, old copies of 50 shades of grey, and hubcaps I would be in favor as long as it delivered an insane ride. RMC is really blurring the line between wooden and steel and roller coaster and it's awesome to watch.

Right? If RMC figured out a way to make a #1 roller coaster out of toothbrushes, old copies of 50 shades of grey, and hubcaps I would be in favor as long as it delivered an insane ride. RMC is really blurring the line between wooden and steel and roller coaster and it's awesome to watch.

Are they really? I don't think they ride anything like a wooden coaster. They feel like a steel coaster to me, with a wooden structure. I have no problems with that -- I think they are the most innovative coaster company in the world right now and are building the best coasters on the planet presently but they are closer to Gemini than Kennywood's Thunderbolt, in my view.

Are they really? I don't think they ride anything like a wooden coaster. They feel like a steel coaster to me, with a wooden structure. I have no problems with that -- I think they are the most innovative coaster company in the world right now and are building the best coasters on the planet presently but they are closer to Gemini than Kennywood's Thunderbolt, in my view.

I-Box is definitely steel, but topper track I'd still consider wood. All wooden coasters have steel strips on the top, topper track just has more of it.