TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

For those wondering about Flying Turns being ready to open. Coastercon is going to Knoebels Fri 6/25 & Sat 6/26. I am pretty sure they will do everything in their power to have it open for that. It is still listed on ert and as a bts tour, although they could change that last minute. They are actually offering a limited number of "walk the trough" spots on Flying Turns. We will be at con and really looking forward to the two days here since we have never been.

• Like 2

I'm checking the website now and they have 25 rides closed at the moment? I understand staffing issues, but that seems like a substantial portion of the park is closed during the week. May need to do some more to entice folks to work for you.

9 hours ago, DILinator said:

^Thanks for the reply, and all the great information! I'll take a pic of it, and refer back to it on our trip! I'm sure we'll still hit Impulse, just because it's a coaster, and a type we actually haven't ridden much elsewhere, but if the line is crazy it's good to know it's expendable. As for the Haunted Mansion, I believe it's an upcharge attraction, for one, and more importantly, my kids aren't the kind to go for scary, haunted house attractions. Maybe my daughter would do it with me. So that's a possibility. I noticed a bunch of rides are listed as "CLOSED" on the website currently, including a handful of the flats you mentioned, and another flat that I personally like, Power Surge. You may not know the answer to this, but I wonder if those are those temporary closures, staffing related closures, or longer closures. I'll be going to the park a month from yesterday, so hopefully at least some of them are back up and running by then. Thanks again for your detailed reply!

point to be made:

ABSOLUTELY worth the upcharge (~$3 for Haunted Mansion).    It's *not* a "scary, Haunted House attraction" - it's an old skool dark ride attraction where you slowly move by sets - cheesy, WONDERFUL sets, mostly in neon colors.

we love it, and it's for the throwback cheese factor, not the scary. . because really, it's less scary than the Disney Haunted Mansion.

here's a TPR ride thru. . . don't miss it, if going to Knoebels (also don't miss the chair lift, I'd do that over Impulse ANY day).

• Like 4

One last obligatory note is that if it is open, which it may not be because of staffing, the 5 for $5.75 (assuming the price is the same) Pierogi's at the roast beef stand are some of the best food in the park, according to many people (myself included). They're great pierogi's bathed in a pool of butter and onions.

I'll post a link to coasterbill's famous map to the pierogi place:

https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/6203-knoebels-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1860075

• Like 1

Thanks to everybody who replied with advice! So much good advice! It also sounds like, unless things pick up, a Wednesday evening in July for the Sundown hours may not be too bad for lines.

I'll definitely try to get the kids on the Haunted Mansion! I'm sure my 14 year old daughter will do it. I enjoy those old school ride through dark rides!

I also definitely want to try the legendary pierogies, if they're open! And yes, the image of power surge in the background is burned into my mind, so I should be able to find them, thanks to Bill! Lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DILinator said:

Thanks to everybody who replied with advice! So much good advice! It also sounds like, unless things pick up, a Wednesday evening in July for the Sundown hours may not be too bad for lines.

I'll definitely try to get the kids on the Haunted Mansion! I'm sure my 14 year old daughter will do it. I enjoy those old school ride through dark rides!

I also definitely want to try the legendary pierogies, if they're open! And yes, the image of power surge in the background is burned into my mind, so I should be able to find them, thanks to Bill! Lol

the famous "Cheese on a Stick" is also not to be missed.

that's sold only at Totem Treats, which is over by the Rocket Slide & Kiddie Carousel area.

IMG_5060.thumb.JPG.160cf34e905e29369d6e1b73ad3b7d02.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Taylor Finn said:

I'm checking the website now and they have 25 rides closed at the moment? I understand staffing issues, but that seems like a substantial portion of the park is closed during the week. May need to do some more to entice folks to work for you.

Knoebels is my favorite park but it seems they are perfectly content with keeping their rides closed if it means they don't have to raise their wages. 

Edit: Oh, and Twister went down today due to staffing. 

(Where you are up there ^^)   Just a reminder of where "those perogies" are...

PerogiesKnoebels.jpg.d23741bd5ddd812d56af70565190ee83.jpg

I forget who posted this - coasterbill? Is this your work? (I will correct, if needed) Thanks to whoever did. It's hilarious! So I saved it. 🌟

• 2 weeks later...

We were there Fri and Sat for Coastercon. Flyers and Skyride were open both days. They opened Flying Turns just for ert for those attending Con on Fri morning, Fri night, and Sat night. Sat morning some of us got to walk the "trough" on it, which was very cool. I truly did feel bad for the GP who saw us lining up for the nighttime ert and thought it was open but were told just for a private event, could tell the employees felt a little awkward about it too. During the walk through we learned what a maintenance nightmare the thing is and it does make me wonder how the time and expense will affect it's longevity. Hopefully, they will be able to run it more the rest of the year but they did state that staffing was an issue.

We also got lights on rides on BD and Haunted Mansion. And a completely lights off ride on Phoenix.

21 hours ago, VegasCoaster said:

If I have one ride on Phoenix in a day, where should I try and sit? Front? Back? I’ve heard of a magic seat but googling didn’t yield too many solid hits. 

Row 3.  Catapult effect.

Knoebel's announced it'll be having an additional Hallo-fun weekend in lieu of the festival. Judging by the wording, it even seems like they realize the fairgrounds is a larger, more suitable venue for the festival. I think it'll be mutually beneficial, it'll allow the festival to expand in its new space while providing an additional weekend for the park's best event.

Screenshot_20210630-154822_Facebook.jpg

I'm not sure when they were opened but Knoebels seems to have some new cottages available now, and at least one of them looks really nice.  I know when I did the trip a couple years back, a few people around here had mentioned that they might be interested if the cottages were a little classier inside.  Take a look at the interior pictures for the Conway now.  https://www.knoebels.com/stay/knoebels-cottages

I've got the Glass House booked again later this summer, and I'll be happy to get back, but I admit I'm a bit jealous looking at that one now.  Maybe next time!

On 6/29/2021 at 6:57 AM, BitterOldHag said:

Knoebels Facebook page said that the Flyers were open once again, as is the Scenic Skyride, so there’s two more rides to add to anyone’s must see list.  😀

We were there on 6/29 and Flyers and Skyride were both closed.  I am guessing that they are using mid week for staff days off.  I would guess that 1/2 the rides were not running.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was near Philly for work this past weekend... Finished up in the morning on Saturday and was driving back home to Ohio...  Thought I'd stop in at Knoebels since I was passing right by at open (around noon). It's been a minute since I have been to the park, so it was a perfect time to go and grab a lap on Phoenix, maybe Flying Turns (last time I was there it was still under construction).... Or so I thought. Even if busy, I would just walk around as a pit stop along the way to stretch the legs. 

But by the time I got to the parking lot entrance, it was complete gridlock into the parking lot. Decided to give it a big fat "NOPE!" and just drove on by  to head home (thankfully was traveling opposite direction of most people incoming) and the line stretched bumper-to-bumper a solid mile or two from the entrance with heavy traffic beyond that past Sheetz in Elysburg (about 3.5 miles away). I can't imagine how long it would have taken just to wait in line to park, or how busy it would have been inside the place. I had a ~6.5 hour drive back home (around 5 or so from Knoebels), so I just wanted to get home after making the drive out the day before. 

Oh well, maybe next time... I may be back through in September again, might try again then but I think I might stick to my "skip park visits in 2021" unless it's a park in Orlando 😅