TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Knoebels, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page for Knoebels.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

October 9th, 2005 - Knoebels announces they will be recreating a Flying Turns coaster

January 20th, 2006 - changes for 2006, including 3D motion theater

June 28th, 2006 - Knoebels floods

January 11th, 2007 - Knoebels purchases adjoining golf course

December 23rd, 2008 - Changes for 2009 revealed, High Speed Thrill Coaster to be removed

January 26th, 2009 - Knoebels is revealed as the mystery buyer of Wildwood's Golden Nugget

March 14th, 2009 - Newspaper article reveals Kosmo's Kurves as the HSTC replacement

July 28th, 2009 - Kosmo's Kurves is complete

November 28th, 2009 - Barbara Knoebel passes away

March 9th, 2010 - Golden Nugget from Hunt's Pier (Wildwood) to be transformed into Black Diamond

October 8th, 2011 - Black Diamond opens

June 28th, 2012 - Flying Turns transfer track has been removed

January 7th, 2013 - teaser for a new ride

January 8th, 2013 - Knoebels confirms new 148 foot ARM drop tower for the 2013 season

October 4th, 2013 - Flying Turns opens

February 20th, 2014 - Impulse announced, a Zierer vertical lift coaster

February 27th, 2015 - Impulse construction update (Impulse topped off)

April 25th, 2015 - Impulse opens

January 7th, 2017 - Over The Top announced for 2017

February 1st, 2019 - Over the Top is being removed and replaced with a flat ride from SBF, also an newer Downdraft model will be installed

Wisdom Tornado announced for 2020

So apparently we have heard from some of the people who were at PPP last night that Knoebel's announced that they were interested in installing a "Flying Turns" roller coaster.

Anyone hear any more about this? It's kind of an interesting concept as Flying Turns are much like the Intamin and Mack bobsled rides, but from what I heard that want to build this one out of wood like the "Classics."

Here's a couple of photos of some old-school "Flying Turns" rides:

http://knoebels.com/whatsnew.htm

Have a look at the website! This is what I see:

There is also an update page with some new information about the ground breaking:

http://www.knoebels.com/update.htm

--Robb

Edited by SharkTums

If they get one I'd move in next door and go there every day. Seriously.

A true flying turns coaster is not just a bobsled made out of wood. They had extreme turns, drops, laterals, airtime, etc. They were built by a former airforce fighter pilot to replicate the feeling of ariel combat, with some help from John Miller in the begining. These things were top thrill rides on par with anything, unlike bobsleds which are family coasters (although quite enjoyable family coasters, from what I hear).

They're my favorite lost coaster style. It would be awesome if Knobel's would get one. It would be more awesome if Busch Gardens got one, though.

Edited by chauncey

Knoebel's build their own coasters.

Umm let's see .. they may do the construction in-house but not the design or manufacturing:

1) Phoenix - PTC, Frank Hoover .. rebuilt by Fetterman and Dinn

2) Whirlwind - Vekoma

3) Twister - PTC, John Allen ... rebuilt by Fetterman based on Mr. Twister plans.

Nobody "manufactures" wooden rollercoasters, unless they're prefabricated. The parks either higher out a construction company, or, in the case of Knoebel's, build them in-house.

The designs of Knoebel's coasters are modified from existing plans by the park and John Fetterman.

This coaster will probably be built the same way. They'll buy the plans (or have bought the plans) to a defunct Flying Turns rollercoaster, redesign them with the help of John Fetterman, and "manufacture" them in-house. That's what I meant.

From what I heard at PPP, they are gonna rebuild Euclid Beach's flying turns. They said they had original blueprints. The only thing I found only with blueprints dates was the one from Euclid back in 1929.

Katie, Phoenix was KICK ass last night! So was Twister! Flyers were in SICKO mode! WooT! TR tomorrow guys!

Awesome! The Euclid Beach version was, from what I hear, the tallest, fastest, most intense, Flying Turns / Bobsled ever!

Anyone have any tips for moving to Pennsylvania, specifically the Knoebels area? How is the real estate, employment, quality of life, crime, etc? Can't be much worse than Tampa! Or can it? :?

Just got back from PPP last night as this is what I gathered (Fetterman's Assistant spent quite a bit of time at our campsite)

{warning: can't verify any of this}

- The plans were possibly picked up in Chicago (Riverview perhaps)

- Biggest obstacle has been the trains. It may even kill the project

- Angle Iron may already be in the process

- Built in-house (Who else is going to build it)

^Thats what I've gathered too, Ted. The blueprints they have will fit the area of Whirlwind perfectly, the only thing holding them back right now is the cost of the trains, which could cost way more than Knoebels would want to shell out. Hopefully they'll shop around though and someone will be able to make the trains for it. Maybe Premier would be interested, or Mack, since they already have something similar in their bobsled trains.

Knoebels has been rumored to want either a flying turns, or a wooden wild mouse for years, of course with the lack of a manufacturer for the trains, it hasn't happened yet.

Knoebels has been rumored to want either a flying turns, or a wooden wild mouse for years, of course with the lack of a manufacturer for the trains, it hasn't happened yet.

Well, Mack has built both in their history, and would probably do it again, for the right cost. Also, PTC was certainly involved with at least a few of the original Flying Turns coasters, if not all of them. Both companies are still in business.

The real issue is, I think, "the right cost". Does Knoebel's have the money? I think if they make the investment, no matter how steep it may seem, it will pay off. Especially if it's for the Flying Turns ride, as there's isn't a single one left (and there are 4 or 5 wooden mouse coasters left). Enthusiasts will flock to the park even more than they do now!

Besides, I'd be willing to promise to ride it enough to pay back the invesment personally, if they do it!

Besides, I'd be willing to promise to ride it enough to pay back the invesment personally, if they do it!

That is a tall order Good luck.

As for the Flying Turns, that thing looks wicked.

I would! Not all at once, of course, but slowly, over time. Assuming, that is, that it's as good I as expect it to be, and they keep it running long enough!