TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Park Pet Peeves

^Wow, Great Adventure is the second best parks in terms of capacity I've been to besides Cedar Point. On both my visits they were running 2 or 3 trains for everything they could!

My pet peeves are:

1. STAPLING!! (Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland, others)

2. Line Jumpers (SFA, KD, others)

3. Dirty Bathrooms (Waldameer, SFA, Knoebels, others)

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am probably the only person who loves the shrieking of teen girls. I think it builds atmosphere to a park.

I hate Line Jumpers. If I had a dime for every time I was cut at Moreys Piers, I'd be richer than bill gates. The Flitzer hat a 10 min. wait but it ended up being over an hour!

And people who save places for their friends and the ride op does nothing about it (arrogance + ignorance).

This is going to be a very general, non-park specific comment...but most ride ops learn rather quickly not to get involved. It's hard to prove, and if you call out security, they usually just talk to the person and let it go. Meanwhile, you've lost way more in capacity (by dealing with the line jumper instead of running the ride) than you'll gain by managing to get rid of the offending party (assuming you even do).

And keep in mind that the ride ops probably didn't see much. I know it seems like they did (or would) while you're in line. But they're only occasionally glancing that way--they don't have everyone around you memorized. If they stare, you might think they "know," when really they're still trying to figure it out. Even someone going under a railing could just be someone already in line screwing around. It's hard to tell when most of your attention is (rightfully) on the ride.

If a park is serious about line jumping, they post people in the queue to deal with it. But most don't, for cost reasons--and then try to fool themselves into thinking that the ride ops can deal with it.

/Just my experience. You're mileage my vary.

I'm not talk 16, I'm talking the 10-15 age range.

Yeah, and your so much overwhelmingly older and mature then 15 year olds.

Anyways, I don't complain about food, I think its overpriced. But try going to a ski resort or something, much more expensive and crummy.

I hate it when people cut in front of you. Or act like they've been there and obviously weren't.

Basketballs, of course.

And billions of other things, but those are my main ones.

It bugs me when people ask the ride op incredibly stupid questions like, "what side of the station do we board from?"

I've worked on a few rides that have seperate loading and unloading platforms, and it never ceased to amaze me how many people would ask, "Do we come back here?" (Usually because they wanted me to hold their stuff.)

But seriously, you just waited in line for an hour, and every ride vehicle comes into the station empty. Figure it out.

I was at California Adventure and Disneyland yesterday, and I heard a guy ask the most amazing questions ever to the ride op.

Is this ride a roller coaster?( a legitimate question, I guess) but then the conversation just got kind of dumb

Op: It's not a roller coaster

Are you sure it's not a roller coaster?

Yes.

My daughter is tall enough by about six inches, will she fall off?

Ride Op: No, just make sure to follow all ride rules.

Does this ride have any loops?

Op:No, it does not go upside down.

And my all time favorite thing the guy said.

My daughter wants to know if this ride goes faster than space mountain, or California Screamin.

Op: Sir the ride is like Star Tours

THE BEST LINE EVER

What the hell does Star Wars have to do with California.

It was so irritating.

I also get mad when people try to use their fast passes early(five-ten minutes is okay), but yesterday someone tried to get in an hour early.

Bad Language when kids are around. Yesterday on Tower, during the small first 2 drops before you go to the top some lady yelled "MOTHER @#$^#$" It was kind of funny, but I felt bad for the lady with the six year old behind us.

People who break the no smoking rules.

10. Smokers (actually, in general, not only parks)

9. Annoying teens (again, in general)

8. GP arguing with me about roller coasters/parks (countless times I have enlightened people about parks/coasters only for them to not believe me and continue to be ignorant)

7. Que jumpers

6. Expensive/crappy food

5. Crappy parks (Not well maintained, stacking riding opening times (Kindka and El Toro opening 2 hours late everyday, etc), parks only caring about money, etc)

4. Rude park staff

3. Stupid park rules (no re-riding without getting off, closing everything if they even think it will rain)

2. Stupid ride-ops. (stupidity, inconsistencies, power-trips, ... stupidity)

1. Stapling.

GP arguing with me about roller coasters/parks (countless times I have enlightened people about parks/coasters only for them to not believe me and continue to be ignorant)

Did you know that SeaWorld owns Busch Gardens and Apollo's Chariot was built by General Mills?

"Really?" asked the dude's friend. "I thought Anheuser Busch owned it."

"Nope, SeaWorld."

GP arguing with me about roller coasters/parks (countless times I have enlightened people about parks/coasters only for them to not believe me and continue to be ignorant)

Did you know that SeaWorld owns Busch Gardens and Apollo's Chariot was built by General Mills?

"Really?" asked the dude's friend. "I thought Anheuser Busch owned it."

"Nope, SeaWorld."

HA!

I thought I would make a second addition to this thread.

Still line jumping, but when like 1 or 2 people are in front of me then the rest of their entire family walks up the queue to join them.

I proceed to always not let them through, and then they all converge on my as if I was doing something wrong

Just got back from a SoCal trip - Knott's/Disney/Universal. Hadn't been to Universal in over 15 years... If you've never been to Universal Studios Hollywood, there is an upper and a lower section to the park (the park is built on a hill) and a huge set of escalators that join the two. Anyway, one of my big pet peeves (not just at amusement parks but in general) is people that STAND on the escalator and completely block anyone else from getting by them. It seriously took us five minutes to get to the bottom section of the park. The whole purpose of an escalator is NOT for you to be lazy. Escalators were invented so that you can get up or down FASTER by WALKING on the moving stairs. This goes for moving walkways at airports as well. But if you do decide to be a lazy @$$, stay to the side of the escalator and let others walk by you. End rant.

As a ride operator, I have a lot of other park-related pet peeves:

- Guests that try to line up their parties so that they will be on the same train but don't bother to ask anyone behind them if they want to go ahead of them and let the row go empty.

- Guests that SIT ON THE SEATBELT!

- Guests that think that they have to whip the chain around on all of the unused queue switchbacks.

- Guests that play with the turnstiles.

- OMG basketballs... Worst park prize EVER.

- When I'm at grouper/crowd control and I ask the next guests in line "How many in your group?" Simple question, right? I can't tell you how many times their answer is "Two." even though there are seven or eight in their group. I KNOW that the ride seats two across - I want to know how many ROWS your group needs so that I can get all of you on the same train!!!

- Guests that take it upon themselves to unchain any chain that is up. It's there for a reason - leave it alone.

- Guests that whine and gripe when I go to open up another queue switchback and I ask them to walk around. You're going to walk anywhere from 5 to 10 miles today - what's another 50 feet, seriously?

- ACErs that asked me to pull the trims on Magnum. Yes, I'm able to do it. No, I won't do it for you. That's a special privilege reserved for those who work at the ride

People who play with the switchback gates in an empty queue. Though, occasionally, if one's hanging loose, I'll suddenly turn it on my bro to block him...just to mess around...then turn it back to normal. Keep in mind that this is only when no one is coming behind us. Otherwise, yea...it just slows other people down when they have to go through and turn them back the other way to get through.

And of course, people who hold the emergency exit open to let their friends go through as a 'shorter' entrance to the ride's station. (Invertigo at CGA has one at the base of the station, instantly taking you up to the ramps as opposed to the ride's entrance planted in front of the ride. It's maybe 30 seconds longer of a walk...big woop!

I dont mind tween screaming kids..Hell its a coaster ..its not a library what are they supposed to do whisper. ITS amusement park. aren't you used supposed to have fun..i guess not. I hate when people hold up the lines at the gates.and why do people always go to the middle train with a group of like 20 people..spread out and let other people thru. its like they dont want u to pass...they do this on all the rides.I mean haven't you been to a theme park before..most people ride in the front or the back anyway. people seem like the loose there mind and act like they dont know how to ride a rollercoaster before. my other pet peeves are slow moving ride op's. im sure there day would go much faster if they picked up the pace.

basketballs

always tempted to prompt them to pass it to me, then I'd throw it as far off the path as possible... sadly, I'd never actually do anything like this, but I fantasize...

I work in an airport and encounter the same basketball problem occasionally. I ignore it, as most areas are carpeted, but want to remind the passengers that they aren't at Six Flags...

This is a really stupid pet peeve, but it really drives me NUTS when people that are standing behind me don't respect my personal space.

An example of this is when you are standing on-line, the line hasn't moved up in front of you...however, for some reason the person/group behind you decide to move up. So you turn 5 feet of personal space into 5 inches....urg.

Anyway, one of my big pet peeves (not just at amusement parks but in general) is people that STAND on the escalator and completely block anyone else from getting by them. It seriously took us five minutes to get to the bottom section of the park. The whole purpose of an escalator is NOT for you to be lazy. Escalators were invented so that you can get up or down FASTER by WALKING on the moving stairs. This goes for moving walkways at airports as well. But if you do decide to be a lazy @$$, stay to the side of the escalator and let others walk by you. End rant.

Um, nope. Escalators were invented so that you don't need to WALK up stairs. Hence the reason they're stairs that move for you. However, I do agree that you should stand to the right for those who choose to pass you.

Likewise with the moving sidewalks. That actually is a pet peeve of mine. In this case, people standing still on them is a case of laziness. These were made to enhance foot travel, not impede it. If you choose to be lazy on these, then stand out of my way.

^Like in airports, especially after the sign that tells you to stand to the right so that people can pass. Or for that matter when it says not to put the big cart for luggage on the moving sidewalk and someone does it anyway, blocking the whole thing... then they end up having to start waking to get away from me yelling at them to move it and reminding them of the rules after they've backed up the whole walkway with people.

-Line Jumpers

-People who complain to Ride Ops about a line jumper AFTER the jumper has ridden.

-People pushing on the loading gates

-Smokers in line or near the ride (It's hard to enforce the "designated smoking areas" during a special event, ie Haunt, but at stay away from where a majority of the guests are).

-Parents who complain that their kid is too small, making me feel like the bad guy

-Overweight people who can't get on the ride, so them and their 7 equally oversized friends get out of the seats you just painstakingly spent 5 minutes putting them in (La Revolucion)

-Ride Ops who don't know how to be efficient

-People who complain about 1 train operations when the line never exceeds 10 minutes.

-People who wear Disneyland apparel to our park (I know we're not as good, but some of us do try and make it a great day)

-People who get up to a ride and complain that a ride is closed, when it's posted in the front of the park

If you haven't guessed, I am a Ride Op. And I do love my job.